Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Scratched out this Lil Satan this week Cox_ba12

Scratched out this Lil Satan this week Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 6:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Scratched out this Lil Satan this week Empty
Live on Patrol

Scratched out this Lil Satan this week

Go down

Scratched out this Lil Satan this week Empty Scratched out this Lil Satan this week

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:14 am

I just finished it up with hopes to fly it this weekend. Unfortunately, it's raining. I widened the nacelle a bit, I should've radiused out the sheeting to fit the leading edge but I just left about 3/8" outside of the nacelle on each side. Booms are lite ply instead of balsa and I used a heavy piece for the stab. It's been a while since I played with a Satan. I believe this is #6 for me. My favorite had a Golden Bee on it and I left it over my friends house many years ago. I had a decal from Ron Cribbs that he had a few years back. All of my builds lately have been painted with this Brodak Rocket Blue. It has a great shine to it. I have a ton of it so it looks like blue for everything until it's gone. Top Coat is Sig Lite Coat. It's covered with white Oracover which I highly dislike. I have a lot of this stuff so it needs to get used up.

Scratched out this Lil Satan this week Dscn2930
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Scratched out this Lil Satan this week Empty Re: Scratched out this Lil Satan this week

Post  oldguy Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:12 pm

Looks good Ken what power plant our you going to use on the Satan? Need to get a video of the flights. I'm thinking about building a Jr Satan. Thumbs Up :
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Scratched out this Lil Satan this week Empty Re: Scratched out this Lil Satan this week

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:36 pm

I have a Norvel .049 with the plastic tank mount but I don't like the tank configuration. I might try it. The plastic tanks leak and the pickup tube isn't in the correct spot so this will take some surgery. The Norvel mount shares the same pattern as a integral tanked Cox Bee. I have a good selection of Black Widow's on hand.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:40 pm

Ken Cook wrote:I have a Norvel .049 with the plastic tank mount but I don't like the tank configuration. I might try it. The plastic tanks leak and the pickup tube isn't in the correct spot so this will take some surgery. The Norvel mount shares the same pattern as a integral tanked Cox Bee. I have a good selection of Black Widow's on hand.

The Black widow should pull it around fine.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:14 am

Love it!......great job!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:18 am

Looks good Ken. Bet that you have a Fora that has a radial mount. A bladder could be stuffed in the ribs or over the top of the wing. Oh, sorry, was that out loud?
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:47 am

These planes are really small compared to modern 1/2A's. I have a Combat Kitten with a TD which is really fast. These just fly like dump trucks compared to the modern equivalents. Fun nonetheless and a fellow club member asked about putting up a match. Flying combat with Cox equipment is very difficult. The times I've tried it, it became so frustrating I almost gave up. I'm willing to give it a go again and hopefully I can make it work. The problem is one gets running, the other won't start, the other one is running backwards, the guys who launch them launches them into the circle. It becomes a comedy of errors that takes the fun out. The reed valve engines are just a major pain in the rear and between the frustration and short run times, I deal with them very little anymore. I do own Fora's and they're just the cat's meow when it comes to using them. Runs on 5-10% nitro all day long without a issue and starts on one flip.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:59 am

If you can get a decent run with a tanked reedie I am all ears. I never had much luck in inverted flight. Even with doing all your tips and tricks.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:21 pm

I'd be lying if I said I was a fan of reedies, but a golden bee ran OK upside down with the pickup tube in the centre of the tank, up a bit from the normal. They are still leaky and erratic runners in my experience, which was 45 years ago. I still like the TDs though.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:00 pm

I got to fly the Satan today. Engine run was a bit off. Inverted, it would fly about 6 laps and then it would start suffering for fuel. I think the pickup is a little off and might need to be raised. I've been running 50% nitro lately and it works quite well. I just keep the engine rich and it just is such a improvement over the standard 1/2A fuel. Starting, needling, consistent running are all benefits. I had a APC 5x3 and that wasn't giving me the speed I was looking for. I switched to a Grish 5 1/4 x 4 and this worked pretty good.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:24 pm

Video Ken, or it didn’t happen Wink I think my best is one full lap inverted before crapping out. I can see how raising the pickup would help. The stunt tank really isn’t designed like a conventional stunt tank.

Makes me wonder if anyone has flown a full pattern on a Cox reed engine. It would be a miracle and a fast pattern too. You don’t have enough time to do a couple laps between stunts.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:42 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:If you can get a decent run with a tanked reedie I am all ears. I never had much luck in inverted flight. Even with doing all your tips and tricks.

Ron

Man!  I really wish I had remembered to put an SD card in my camera a couple of weeks ago when I had the local club hotshot fly my new Baby Ringmaster.  The FrankenBee engine flew great inverted as he put it through its paces.  Not a burp or sag.  Ran strong until it ran out of gas.

The engine has a Black Widow tank, a generic crankcase from out of my spares box and a Sure Start cylinder.  Those Sure Start cylinders never got the love they deserved.  Man!  I wish I'd known about Estes selling the Sure Starts on close out at $7.00 a piece.  I would have bought a couple dozen...  I'm not sure, but I may have done Paul Gibeault's trick with the fuel feed tube in the tank.  

I'm definitely not the big cheese engine rebuilder here, but unless there's a physical problem with one of the engine components, I've never had a problem with a reedie if it's been recently overhauled to make sure everything is clean and tight.  

The Fanboy Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:46 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Makes me wonder if anyone has flown a full pattern on a Cox reed engine. It would be a miracle and a fast pattern too. You don’t have enough time to do a couple laps between stunts.

I know I've read in Model Builder (I think) how back in the 70's, at the Nats they held unofficial competitions with the Cox ME-109 Super Stunters.  They flew the full pattern, and allowed for one re-fueling mid-pattern. Not a tank, I know, but still. You might ask this over on the 1/2A board on Stunthangar. They had a 1/2A competition flying the pattern with only one lap between maneuvers at the last Brodak's.

The Historian Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:03 pm

Interesting. I can build a decent engine for performance, but have trouble with just getting a bog stock worked over tanked reed engine to stunt. I’ll say the same thing to you Mark... Video or it didn’t happen Laughing

Seriously though. I tried very hard for a couple years to get reedies stuntable. No bueno, massive frustration and I listened and tried everyones tips. Loops and level flight all day long, go inverted, one lap then a fart lap and then a slow death.

I’d love to see it, better yet would love to see the disassembled engine that did it.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down