Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

.049 RTF plastic airplanes Cox_ba12

.049 RTF plastic airplanes Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 6:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

.049 RTF plastic airplanes Empty
Live on Patrol

.049 RTF plastic airplanes

Go down

.049 RTF plastic airplanes Empty .049 RTF plastic airplanes

Post  MMT Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi,
At this time, I am only interested in getting the two planes I have to fly. I undersatand neither are Cox models, so this maynot be the correct forum for me. But here I am asking for help. The hobbyshops of old are gone,at least in my area. Liked to have never found correct nitro fuel blend. Anyway, I now have just about everything to see if I can get these engines to run. If I can't get these engines to run and even if I do, I know I will be looking to re-engine these planes with a new Cox .049. My problem is the Testor's P40 has a preformed engine caddy with 0 screws w/ cyclinder setting at appox.130 degrees and needle vavle up & down. The Wen Mac Corsair has a beam mount engine system. Both planes have interal fuel tanks that I intend to use. The Cox .049 motors I have see are all rear radial mounts. I would like to keep these planes looking as orginal as I can. Any thoughts or tips on this matter?
Thanks,
MMT
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

.049 RTF plastic airplanes Empty Re: .049 RTF plastic airplanes

Post  SuperDave Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Are you familar with the several Cox beam-mount engines like the TD series?

BTW, we are not exclusively a COX forum but small engines generally.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:43 pm

I know that a good many of the members on here are not slavishly devoted to Cox engines alone! I, for one, have a reasonable collection of non-Cox engines, ranging from .049 up to .35.
I have a number of Wen-Mac/McCoy/Testors engines (name changed over the years!) but all basically the engine that you will have in your RTFs, good, usable, examples of all 27+ versions of these engines can still be bought for about the same price you would pay for a Cox Babe Bee.
If you can take photos of the engines in your planes I know that I, and many more members would be only too happy to give you advice on the best way to proceed. Should it prove that the engines you have are not usable (VERY unlikely) I'm sure we can help to get you airbourne! Your models may have what is known as the "Pipebomb" type of engines (So called 'cause they look like a length of pipe!) which are also quite easy to get.
Post photos and let's get you going!
Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:01 pm

"I know I will be looking to re-engine these planes with a new Cox .049"

I suppose anything is possible if you throw enough time and/or money at it, but why not just get the original engines running?

The condition of these planes would determine their collectability (both of the planes are not very good flyers) if there nice, like new, you might want to just clean them up and set on a shelf. If they're used, beat up, go for it as they don't have much value.

I would remove engines from planes, partially disassemble them (at least remove head) and soak in lacquer thinner 24 hrs.
Clean off any dried up oil with stiff toothbrush. Dry off and use a blow dryer to heat up remaining caster oil inside engine BEFORE attempting to turn over.
Oil up with light machine oil and reassemble..049 RTF plastic airplanes 7a_1_b10.049 RTF plastic airplanes Planef10
.049 RTF plastic airplanes Kgrhqu11

Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:12 pm

The four engines in the centre of this pic will be similar to the ones in your RTFs, the black one with a yellowish tank on the right is the "Pipebomb" type I was refering to, this may be the one in the model you describe as having zero mounting bolts, it was held by shaped sections in the nose

.049 RTF plastic airplanes Collec14

All of these engines have been bought off EBay for very little money, and all are in perfect running order, I have had to replace the odd starter spring and needlevalve, but these bits are easy enough to get.

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Suggest you do a "clean-up" of the existing engines and try get them running.

I note that the yellow Wen-Mac has a severely distorted elevator that needs to be corrected.

The local hobby shop (LHS) is all but a thing of the past driven out by on-line competition from major suppliers like Tower Hobbies but even the majors aren't much into 1/2A's. On the bright side there still are vendors that cater to fans of 1/2A's.

We could "link" you to some if you'd like. Just ask.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:31 pm

Don't think those are actually MMT's planes, Dave, I think they are examples that Mark put up
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Mark:

What is your experience with old plastic planes that have sat stored somewhere for fifty or so years? Are they brittle from age and can they withstand the rigors of being flown?

I suppose it depends on the conditions under which they were stored. Smile

Last edited by SuperDave on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:22 pm

The photo of the early Wen-Mac Corsair 'Yellow Jacket' is one of the more collectable Corsairs. This model also included a "FLEX-O-POWER RING" starter version, a low cost "rubber-band" starter, basically a large O-ring that would engage a small pin sticking out of the backplate, you'd be lucky to get two cycles out of it. Wen-Mac actually used it from 1956 to '61.
.049 RTF plastic airplanes Planef13
.049 RTF plastic airplanes Planef14
.049 RTF plastic airplanes Wen-ma13
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:34 pm

SuperDave wrote:Mark:

What is your experience with old plastic planes that have sat stored somewhere for fifty or so years? Are they brittle from age and can they withstand the rigors of being flown?

I suppose it depends on the conditions under which they were stored. Smile

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I just noticed your post. I think most 1/2 century old plastic has held up amazingly well and shouldn't be a issue, other then a TD-3 or Wen-Mac which was some type of thin Styrene?
.049 RTF plastic airplanes Td-3_010
.049 RTF plastic airplanes Monday10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks for the answer Mark.

(Yes, I slid that post in for one that I had previously deleted)
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

.049 RTF plastic airplanes Empty Sorry!!! Told you I was new at this.

Post  MMT Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Hello,
Just found some replys to some of my post on RTF planes. Told you that I was new at this forum thing. Not even sure where this post will "land". I will figure it out. If I offended anyone, I a'm sorry. Please understand, when I was fooling with these RTF's 50 years ago the only resorce I had were the "freeflight" guys. They wouldn't give a kid like me the time of day. When I read some of the replys out of context I thought, oh crap, here I go again. Again sorry. For what it worth, I always intended to try to get these engines to work. I was just looking for a "plan B". It appeared that Cox Int. was the only game in town for new engines/parts.
Now, thanks to those who those who informed me that these engines may not the obsolete dogs I thought they were. Glad to hear that there is still parts out there without the "collector" price. This may open a new train of thought.
Guess I really need to work on this forum thing. LOL
Thanks,
MMT

'
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:47 pm

MMT:
As you read the forum posts for a week or so you'll learn how things operate. Plastic planes fall under the "Models and Modelling" thread. I certainly didn't take offense from anything that you have written.

Long forgotten plastic planes from the attic can be made to run and fly given some cleaning and preparation. Plastic RTF (Ready To Fly) planes aren't particularly good flyers in my experience because they were often designed as "disposeable" toys of the "crash and trash" variety. For example, kids would get them for Christmas, try to fly them, crash them then toss them in the trash.

I can see one as a valueable "learning experience" for you but only as an introduction as in learning to fly come the inevitable crashes. You'll probably want to move on from there exploring the many dimensions of model aviation.

Keep reading the forum in the meantime.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

.049 RTF plastic airplanes Empty RTF flyers

Post  MMT Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14 am

HI,
To SuperDave, just saw you post. Man, you are spot on. You understand (I think), what I am tring to do at this time. The RTF's are all I know from when I was kid. Somewhere in la la land (internet forums) I posted that when I decided to get back into powered airplanes, I bought a costly RC elect. airplane. Flew it 2 times, put it back in it's box. There it sits. Not what I was looking for. Want a "gas" engine airplane.
Now to the RTF's, I know something about them. Simple, basic, and cheap. If I (crash & trash), and may very well, not much lost. Did that with the big block Chevy Opel GT project I have posted about somewhere. Only lost time & a few months in the hospital over that project (I can laugh about it now). Not funny then. Thankfully, I won't be in these planes when the "ugly" happens.
Thanks people,
MMT
P.S. Think I am getting a little better at this forum thing.
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:49 am

MMT:

For most people modeling is a series of progressive steps from the simple to the complex. Start with a control line model and later move up to radio control if you so desire.

In flying CL you'll learn the essentials of engine operation and fundamentals of flight. Build on your successful experiences and the associations that you will make within our hobby. Modeling, to me, is most enjoyable when done in association with like-minded friends.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:51 am

MMT wrote:

P.S. Think I am getting a little better at this forum thing.

Nothing wrong with your posts MMT, better than many I have seen!! Very Happy

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:08 am

Yep...you're there ! Now, "On with the experimentation" !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

.049 RTF plastic airplanes Empty RTF models

Post  MMT Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi all,
Thank to all who have replyed to my post. Please keep them coming. I don't know how to respond to all post at this time other than a new post. Am not looking to increse my post count. Just looking for information. My present knowlege is 50 years old & and I am dealing with obsolete equipment. What you good folks think I should know on this subject, trust me, I don't. Hay, I just found out how to set the needle vavle to try and start a Wen Mac/Testor engine. Small things, big help! Yes, I can do the internet search thing but too time comsuming and upseting. Searchs lead to websites wanting to sell me $3,000,000 airplanes, toaster ovens and the like. Not interested.
If anyone wants and has the time to inpart info., please do. Please mark post (RTF models) so I can find them. My email is mmt9876@yahoo.com. Thanks again,
MMT
P.S. Remember: As Shultes said "I know Nooothing!" LOL
P.P.S. I am taking notes.
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:49 pm

You are responding the correct way.

What fuel are you using?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

.049 RTF plastic airplanes Empty 1/2a Fuel

Post  MMT Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:52 am

`Greetings,
I have been asked what fuel I am useing. The only one I can find at this time. Brand: Hobbico super 1/2a fuel. Nitro continent: 25%. Marked: special oil to protect and cool engine. Am not sure what "special oil" is. Hope it is casteroil.
Plan to use it to try to start the Wen Mac & Testors motors. If it is the wrong fuel and things go badly, oh well, not the first time. I am working on a "learning curve" anyway. At least it is marked 1/2a fuel.
Any comments?
Thanks much,
MMT
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:11 am

MMT:

Hobbico 1/2A fuel is REALLY expensive. $5 for a HALF pint (one cup). It has a blend of Klotz syntheic and caster oil oil as lubrication. (Castrol is automotive oil used in full sized road vehicles)

Locate a vendor of SIG fuel and you'll find better prices and fuel composition. I use SIg 25% and 35% nitro with good results. I get it directly from SIG.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down