Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fox .35 Engine? Cox_ba12

Fox .35 Engine? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:48 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fox .35 Engine? Empty
Live on Patrol

Fox .35 Engine?

Go down

Fox .35 Engine? Empty Fox .35 Engine?

Post  944_Jim Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:11 pm

Gentlemen,
After seeing the recent post for the OS engine mounting card, I figured maybe someone would know of similar for a Fox .35. I already have holes drilled through my airframe, and I'm pretty close to right.

However, I hope to cut an aluminum doubler for the backside and want to get the hole centers closer to right. The doubler is to prevent the locknuts from sinking into the wood.

Any help, even just the pattern length by width will work. I already assume this engine was built for 4-40 hardware...but if you know better, then please educate me. This is the first BIG plane for me.

Thanks much!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Fox .35 Engine? Empty Re: Fox .35 Engine?

Post  NEW222 Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:24 pm

Will this possibly help you Jim?

Fox .35 Stunt
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:54 pm

Jim, if I understand your question, your looking for the proper hole spacing for a Fox .35? This isn't that easy. No two are identical and hole spacing can be off. They can be very close but some versions aren't exactly identical. Seeing that this is your first "Big Plane" I would suggest that you don't use Allen cap screws. If you hit the ground with those screws in the fuse, your going to break the case. If you use softer steel slotted head screws, the screws will either shear or bend. I would also recommend that you glue a piece of 1/8" plywood to the face of your fuel tank. Ensure that the ply covers the entire end cap. In the event of a ground strike the tank makes contact with the backplate due to sliding forward. This instantly damages the tank and the ply prevents this.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:56 pm

Thanks Chancy,
I saw that one before. The problem is it didn't print at the right scale. It did get me the ratio from side to length. Enough so that once I had my real length, I got the width pretty darn close! At least this time I read the article in detail, so I have a really good handle on fuel requirements, and potential props. I won't be so unprepared on flight day now.

Yes, Ken,
I understand your points...I think it is funny that Ole LM Cox was able to consistently replicate his little engines millions of times with more accuracy! This engine does have reasonably close measurements, but even one of the holes was double-drilled at the factory...as in two side-by-side holes. That "hole" has a look of a Venn diagram with a lot of common area! After reading your post, I'm thinking I may be over-engineering/over-thinking this thing (not that this would be the first time).
Now you have me double-guessing if I will be able to honor Rusty by hanging the Golden Fox on the intended airframe (relax, breath deep...see above).

This engine is going on my UKIE, and I intend on mounting the plastic three-line 4 ounce slant tank inboard opposite the engine. There isn't a lot of room between the backplate and wing root. I got that idea from StuntHanger several weeks ago.
It is funny you mentioned the screws. I really started sweating over what to use, and caught that fillister screws may be best for this engine from SH. So I ran all over town looking for them to no avail. Then I started looking for socket head screws...also a bust. I was starting to think mild steel panhead screws were the only available option, but was still concerned about strength. Your comment regarding them makes me feel better.
Mild steel screws are already on hand for all bits, and I printed the "Competition Notes" for this plane posted on SH for final setup. So this plane may maiden shortly.

The plane has a name already, but I won't disclose it until the maiden flight. I'll just say I hope a guy in Texas will enjoy the name! The town sounds something like Llamas Passing.

I appreciate both of your responses, Guys.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:12 am

Jim it should be close enough. Don't you currently have a Fox .35? If anything, one of the holes my need a bit of reaming. In addition, you have a foam wing. If you need to mount a larger tank, the solution is to notch out the foam where the tank butts up to it. The leading edge is not the strength of the wing the spar is so you can make a cut into it if needed as this was standard practice. Chicken hopper tanks are a good solution for the Ukie.

Cox engines used extrusions and not castings. Therefore, much of the machining was automated through the use of the screw machines they were produced on. Apples to oranges in reality.  When using cast molds, they wear out not too mention the material distorts when cooling. Duke was monumental above anyone else at the time. While some of the engines had it's shortcomings, Duke provided engines lighter than any engine on the market. In addition, the MK series when introduced in the 70's was very ground breaking as it was one piece from the backplate to the nose. He used many different draft angles to allow this case to be removed from the mold which no other manufacturer was doing at the time.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down