Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it Cox_ba12

More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by aspeed Today at 8:06 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it Empty
Live on Patrol

More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it

Go down

More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it Empty More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:07 am

I love to solder, done it all my life working in electronics.  Not so much anymore, difficult to hit the mark with a soldering gun or iron with one hand and applying solder with the other.  Add holding two wires together and it becomes impossible.  

That situation arose yesterday.  Then I remembered this x-acto tool that I had around somewhere, but couldn't remember where.  Hadn't seen it for years.   I looked everywhere, not to be found.  Didn't give up, went through four workshops, basement, two car garage, four car garage, shed,  Nothing, nada.  Well, it will be the last place you look dummy (it's always the last place you look of course) I told myself, so I went through everything again, and in the last drawer I opened, way in the back I found the thing.  

Worth the trouble, I couldn't have done it without it.  Tender wheels provide the negative side.  Heat shrink tubing sealed the deal.

More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it P1010519
More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it P1010520
More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it P1010521
More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it P1010522
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it Empty Re: More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it

Post  fredvon4 Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:54 am

Amazon Prime next day is why I have duplicates of STUFF for my son to borrow or inherit...grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it Empty Re: More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it

Post  Marleysky Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:53 am

I think someone used one of these on a 010 for a EOM entry sometime back.
The magnifying lens is a extra handy option to the “Third-hand” tool!!

More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it 3b510110
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:04 pm

Kari used that and his avatar is a combination of that tool with a PeeWee020
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:03 pm

I'm a bit surprised you could solder it with the clamp tool. Alligator clips like that generally act as a heat sink instantly and doesn't allow the wire to get hot enough and the fact that you have two and the bar connecting them makes it even more surprising.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:13 pm

Rene, you have a memory for these things, and an ability to find them again. Once you posted that picture I remembered that thread and thought, I have one of those........somewhere.

Ken, one clip is on the insulation. Old time braided original to the engine which I try to save if I can. It usually bunches up, but running fingers down the length while holding the other end straightens and cures that and a drop of CA on each end secures it. But properly positioned heat sinks are a good thing.

I could have twisted the wires together but that causes a lump inside the heat shrink. I just tin both ends and solder side by side with these no strain wires. Heat shrink adds stability. We're talking 12 volts DC here.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:37 pm

balogh wrote:Kari used that and his avatar is a combination of that tool with a PeeWee020

Yes, I use mine all the time Very Happy It was an impulse buy that stayed in the bubble pack for years before I took it out. But now I don’t know what I’d do without it.

I took the EotM photo with a Tee Dee 010 on the front and my eye seen through the magnifying glass on the background for the December 2016 or Jan 2017 EotM, can’t believe it was that long ago, and that anyone remembered it... Did not get many votes, maybe it was the stubble on my chin Huh... My first ever ”selfie” picture BTW Laughing

My avatar photo is an earlier EotM photo, I think it was a winner that month. I must admit, it is one of the best photos I have taken.

Earlier this year I started to dabble with (vintage) hi-fi again, and a couple of months ago I replaced the capacitors of the crossovers in a pair of nearly 50-year old speakers. Here’s the work in progress, can you spot the ”helper”?

More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it 20b63210

It is very handy when soldering wire ends. I attach the clip over the insulation so the clip does not have the heat-sink effect. Also if I am soldering wires into a connector (for example when making headphone cables), I attach the clip on the opposite end of the connector that I’m soldering, it is quite ok. Just hold the wire with my hand, insert it in the connector pin, apply solder with the iron and heat it a little, go ”ow ow ow” while the hot wire is burning the fingers while the soldering cools and gets solid  lol!

The magnifying glass on mine is not very good, I have removed it and just use a pair of drugstore reading glasses, +1,50 is sufficient for now if there is a lot of light. Fortunately my hands are not too shaky yet, I hope they will stay that way. Shaky hands sort of run in the family on my dad’s side, on my mom’s side hands are very steady, so it’s a 50/50 chance I guess  Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:01 pm

Looks like it just to the left of your soldering station Kari and just above your diagonal cutters.  Had to capture your picture and brighten to find it.

Just the opposite in my family.  Dad's hands were steady as a rock, Mom's like a leaf in the wind.  I took after Mom.  Sad Doc says it's heredity, but I take no medication for it. Wouldn't even if offered.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:30 pm

Good job on finding it. I have the same problem with finding things. Always the last place looked. I too have one of those, albeit it is a cheap one made offshore, so am sure the quality is not as good, and mine too has the magnifying glass.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:05 pm

NEW222 wrote:.... Always the last place looked.

Well why wouldn't it be? Do you keep looking once you find it?
lol!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:25 am

Oldenginerod wrote:

Well why wouldn't it be?  Do you keep looking once you find it?
lol!

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most. Smile

Anymouse, Navy language - Anonymous if your not.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:23 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:

Well why wouldn't it be?  Do you keep looking once you find it?
lol!

This might not apply to everyone but, I often buy a "back-up" just so I don't spend too much time trying to locate the tool/item I was just using, set it down and now can't find it. SO, I find the back-up, then KEEP LOOKING for the original.   On the other hand I have 10MM sockets in every drawer, just so I don't have to search! !

Also, I  bought a "Mechanics Socket/Drive set" has SAE and Metric WHOO HOO!  set includes 12, 13, 14, 16, 18 and 20MM .   Guess what sizes are used on my last project ...17  and 19!   I have a Large selection of VICE Grip pliers!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:54 pm

I too have a socket set with both SAE and metric. First time I used it I almost got mad, what, no 19mm socket! After all it’s in the top 4 (10, 13, 17 and 19mm) when working on just about any European vehicle. Well, I was outside and it was dark. And I was not familiar with SAE back then, only had those on the lawnmower.

But 3/4” is an exact match to 19mm, and that socket was located in the SAE row, found that out the next day. But a socket set that does not contain a 17mm... I’d call that cheating. The closest SAE to 17mm is 11/16” but it would be a tad loose on a 17mm. Would not work well on a wrench but a 6-point socket maybe... And it would not work the other way around.

I have a wide selection of adjustable wrenches in both SAE and metric Wink
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:18 am

I have a wide selection of adjustable wrenches in both SAE and metric Wink lol! lol! lol! my poor tools are strewn everywhere,,, my son is a big helper of that / they were safer when i was at work Mad
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:43 am

My history is big tools, 3" sockets, 3/4" drives etc. Big stuff that you can get your hands around and don't care if they shake or not. Putting a 3/4" nut on a shaft is a breeze.

Now I'm using jewelers tools, screwdrivers, sockets, 0 & 00 stuff. Screws and pins that you need a glass to see. Exasperating trying to get a nut with fumbling fingers on a machine screw that you can barely see. Self torture but somehow I'm enjoying it.

More shaky hands, it's always the last place you look, and a third and fourth hand when you need it P1010525
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:57 am

boy that's a big screwdriver lol One good reason i didn't go with HO scale Pumpkin On the other hand your doing a good job getting her fixed This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:24 am

Kari said "I have a wide selection of adjustable wrenches in both SAE and metric"

My box too has several SAE METRIC combination tools....grin

...took one of our new soldiers all day to find a left handed Crescent wrench.....well truth is the new guy met an old sarg in the supply room that told him he was being hazed....just go down to the club and screw off for the day....they won't miss you and they sent you on a snip hunt so you wont get in any trouble with your platoon sergeant
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down