Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why? Cox_ba12

EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why? Empty
Live on Patrol

EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why?

Go down

LOL EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why?

Post  Sleddin04 Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:37 am

Hi Guys,
I have a question for you all.
Why are these engines so important to so many that they're willing to pay what I thought was a lot of $$$? $250+ in one case.
Curious about their history/attraction, etc.
THanks in advance for any insight.

EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why? Img-6911
EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why? Img-6910
EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why? Img-6912
Sleddin04
Sleddin04
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

LOL Re: EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why?

Post  davidll1984 Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:47 am

Two colectible item new in box worth lot more mony for collector and hard To Find new in box box chape also change price of item a 10\10 box compare To 7\10 change price Difrent période of time box made difrent jewels box very prised for collector wil value more mony $$$ y dont use engines in jewels box as mutch posible keap them new
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:19 pm

Collector items Smile

Apparently only 2,000 of each size manufactured but not sure if this is really accurate.

We list them for $295 when we are fortunate enough to get any and they do sell at that price.

Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:46 pm

WOW, Well Happy Birthday to me!  I just bought one locally off Craigslist for a lot less than those ones that were sold on ebay!!  I thought it was a good deal, turns out to be a Great Deal!! Thanks

EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why? 0b061510

Last edited by Marleysky on Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sleddin04 Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:01 pm

Great information Guys, Thank you! I sold 3 of these on Ebay and was shocked with the attention they received. Only because I didn't know their true value. Grateful for the information! Very Happy
Sleddin04
Sleddin04
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:32 pm

The black tank .010s bring more $$$$ than the red that's why i bought up two tank assy. for repair Very Happy Sitting here right now just repaired a TD.020 and was trying to put a .010 size tank assy. on it opened 2 screw sets i still don't understand why so many the wrong size not enough mount screws ? New in pac . Vets Day The .09 carb. /muff. RC is always HI $$$
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:37 pm

getback wrote:The black tank .010s bring more $$$$ than the red that's why i bought up two tank assy. for repair Very Happy Sitting here right now just repaired a TD.020 and was trying to put a .010 size tank assy. on it opened 2 screw sets i still don't understand why so many the wrong size not enough mount screws ? New in pac .  Vets Day  The .09 carb. /muff. RC is always HI $$$

Was that a tank assembly from us ???

BTW, we price the red 010 versions between $50 and $150 higher than the black versions, depending on packaging and the market seems to confirm this, as we get way more requests for the (older) red versions; which are in Jewel cases or Really old Bubble Packs.

Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:25 pm

Sleddin04 wrote:Hi Guys,
I have a question for you all.
Why are these engines so important to so many that they're willing to pay what I thought was a lot of $$$? $250+ in one case.
Curious about their history/attraction, etc.
THanks in advance for any insight.

Hi Sleddin04, Cool username.. Smile Thought I'd throw in my Two Cents  I'm not a collector.. but I have more Cox .049 glow-engines than other types. I'm 60 years old and Cox engines were in their heyday when I was a youngster. The engines were designed very well.. and manufactured to strict design-tolerances. It's nice to have a never been used engine in its original box.. but even nicer to have an old well-used engine, that will still start, run and deliver. That's what these engines generally do.. at least in my case, which I would call a boat-load of value. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:42 pm

Cox International wrote:
getback wrote:The black tank .010s bring more $$$$ than the red that's why i bought up two tank assy. for repair Very Happy Sitting here right now just repaired a TD.020 and was trying to put a .010 size tank assy. on it opened 2 screw sets i still don't understand why so many the wrong size not enough mount screws ? New in pac .  Vets Day  The .09 carb. /muff. RC is always HI $$$

BTW, we price the red 010 versions between $50 and $150 higher than the black versions, depending on packaging and the market seems to confirm this, as we get way more requests for the (older) red versions; which are in Jewel cases or Really old Bubble Packs.

It’s pretty common knowledge that the earlier red versions hold more value. Hope you haven’t been overpaying Eric!

Nothing wrong with the black versions in most cases, but quality is hit or miss with them. They do look good though.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:25 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:
Cox International wrote:

It’s pretty common knowledge that the earlier red versions hold more value. Hope you haven’t been overpaying Eric!
Nothing wrong with the black versions in most cases, but quality is hit or miss with them. They do look good though.

In the Model Engine Collector Journal (Issue #134 -March 1999  Volume 24 #2  and Issue #136 - October 1999  Volume 24 #4)
Has where the earlier engines had "red" venturi. Later engines had the "black" venturi (to cut costs), being that the plastic was petroleum based product, black was cheaper to produce over the red plastic. Took a while to go through my Model Engine Collector Journals (started in 1997). Nice photos of model engines the way they were new.

Probably why the "red" venturi are more prized than the "black"?
As you notice in the list, the 1959, the "Olympic" .149 glow had a "red" venturi, blue prop driver and ball bearings.

Here is a partial of the index I have of Cox engines.
Early Model Engine Collector Journals had black and white photos, so a description of the color of the engines were written down.
EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why? Cox_ea10
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:22 am

Black carb body is only one thing that later produced 010- s come with. The older red carb 010-s have tapered cylinder wall that may mean added power and improved longevity compared to the black carb 010-s...hence the more interest and $$$$$$ for the older red carb 010-s IMHO.

Last edited by balogh on Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:01 am

Last edited by 1/2A Nut on Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:35 am

Was that a tank assembly from us ??? wrote:
Yes in 2015 LOL I don't know where the .020 TD screw sets came from .. No not over spending Ron My 3 .010 s are red tanks but i do like the look of the black , i guess i need to update my memory mind Small Cox Logo Thanks for enlightening me everyone . Nice spread sheet i will save it for future reference:D Leaves
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:05 am

getback wrote:  Yes in 2015 LOL I don't know where the .020 TD  screw sets came from .. No not over spending Ron My 3 .010 s are red tanks but i do like the look of the black , i guess i need to update my memory mind Small Cox Logo Thanks for enlightening me everyone . Nice spread sheet i will save it for future reference:D Leaves  

If you are a fanatic for collecting the Cox engines, you need to purchase the "Cox Model Engine Handbook" from Model Engine Collector Journal. They have reduced the price on the book compared to when I purchased it years ago when it first came out.

Here is the website to the Cox Model Engine Handbook. Great to have if you love Cox engines. Thumbs Up
https://modelenginecollecting.com/Cox%20Web%20Material/Cox-Book.html

EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why? Cox-co10
EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why? Coxpag10
EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why? Coxpag11

from Tim Dannels:

WHY A BOOK ON COX ENGINES?

As the most prolific and longest lasting model engine manufacturer in U.S. history, the Cox name is probably one of the best known among model builders.  Here we present a listing of the engines produced by Leroy (Roy) Cox and those who followed his lead.  It begins with the story about the man himself and carries on through the dissolution of Cox products as manufactured items.

The huge variety of models they produced as well as the engines to power them went far beyond just the model builder.  In this day and age it is almost impossible to find someone who was not at least touched in some way with an L. M. Cox produced toy of some sort.  Airplanes, boats, cars and practically anything that could be powered with a small engine have, at one time or another, been found under a Christmas Tree or wrapped up for a birthday.

In their prime, they were the first choice for the competition minded model builder.  While the line of competition engines were in production, no other engine of comparable size could match the power and performance they produced.

Yet the main emphasis of Cox model engines was directed towards powering ready-to-run, off the shelf models of all sorts.  This volume lists the configurations of the engines used in these models throughout their lives. While the models themselves are not pictured, a close study of the engine listings will show the correct configuration for the engine that should power it.

It will be a valuable guide in building your collection of Cox model engines.

Tim Dannels
The Model Museum
Engine Collectors' Journal
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:22 am

balogh wrote:Black carb body is only one thing that later produced 010- s come with. The older red carb 010-s have tapered cylinder wall that may mean added power and improved longevity compared to the black carb 010-s...hence the more interest and $$$$$$ for the older red carb 010-s IMHO.

I am in agreement with you with the taper cylinder wall being the better engine to collect because of the added power and longer life.
It was easier to recognize the older engines with the "red" venturi over the "black". But now you really can't tell with all the mixing and matching of parts? You could have a straight sleeve cylinder with a "red" venturi, or a taper sleeve cylinder with a "black" venturi.
Even when you get a "NIB" is it really the original engine that was in that box?
I have old and new engines with "red" aluminum venturi, So, what are they really? Huh...
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:26 am

The only way to know is to check by removing the cylinder and pushing the piston by hand past the TDC..if it goes through without getting stuck at or slightly beyond the TDC then it is a non-taper one. Even fairly used tapered cylinders will stop the piston at or slightly past the TDC.

I am not encouraging anyone to unnenessarily disassemble these tiny jewels though, because of their very fine and therefore vulnerable parts like the cylinder that goes easily out of round if forced due to castor having caked between the threads..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:50 am

Yes to the Collector I.D. book Should have gotten one when i had the extra cash But being on this Forum gives me the knowledge needed and its Free lol! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:20 pm

Perhaps the international gold prices should be set on the prices of the prized Cox Tee Dee engines? Leaves

I have only one Tee Dee, an older red .020 I bought new 40 years ago. I bought Bernie's aftermarket anodized red tank to upgrade it. To me, that made it even more prized.

Not a TD, but I gave my brother some 40 years ago as a birthday gift a Medallion .09 R/C, the one with a throttle ring. At times I wished I kept it as over time the availability of the same evaporated. Nonetheless, was happy to get me a later .09 with throttle muffler ring in new condition for under $50 without box.

EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why? Medall10

I think the main thing is we are happy with what we have. RC Plane
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:15 am

Seem to find more red .010 engines than the later black ones. I like to keep the original plastic carb bodies and tanks on them. MECOA is currently out of new red tanks otherwise there would be 2 more engines in this group. NIB .010 engines are put away.

EBAY Craze over these Engines and Why? 276a7610
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down