Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Cox_ba12

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Today at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Today at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Today at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Today at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Today at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Today at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Today at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Empty
Live on Patrol

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.

Go down

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Empty The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:52 am

No fault of Levent (designer) this forums favorite artist.

Got out my worst example Mercedes and removed the old number decals and tried affixing clear waterslide decals which just faded into the red background and the edges curled.

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010591
The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010592

Removed it and tried white sticky backed paper to no improvement. It just doesn't work on red like it did on the white Cox (Mexico) C/L airplane.

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010593
The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010595
The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010594

So, back to the drawing board. I have some clear sticky backed paper coming. Will try that instead. If still bonkers, the numbers go back on. But, I love that design, will have to find another Cox product to try it on.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Empty Re: The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:21 am

I am making white instead of black and will send here. White water slide decal paper can be used. I will try to get same red tone, and will make several red tone backgrounds Very Happy It will work Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Empty Re: The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:58 am

I made it in four different red tone background. Print on white vinyl or water slide sheet. A4 size.

Download here

If you want it in another color please let me know.

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Lodela11
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:21 am

A rather crude photo application:

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Lvnjpg10

Perhaps I need to change spider to all white. Will send another.
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:36 am

This one is better:

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Lvnjpg11

Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:40 am

Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:49 am

You are the miracle man Levent. How did you do that so quickly!!! It would take me a week just to think about it.

The water slide decals that I used had edges that tended to curl. I have both sticky backed vinyl and adhesive coming and will wait for those. Water slides do not work as well on smooth plastic. I waited too long to remove the white sticky backed examples so I'm leaving it for now. Got others to do though.

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010596
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:02 pm

I would use one of my photo editors and make the spider body Black and leave a red hourglass on top...not anatomically correct, but certainly would be Black Widow..ish

If not already get a expensive pack of the Testors Clear waterSlide film
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:32 pm

You read my mind Fred, and I was going to suggest just that to Levent.  Black body and red stripe maybe white, gray or black web.  The web didn't show up too bad on the Mercedes, and for the picture I rescued the decal from the trash for the picture and put it back on, so it looked better before.  

Big problem with those waterslides (new manufacturer) are the edges curl, didn't happen with my other decals.  I use Microscale Micro set and Micro sol to set them, then overcoat (once again) with Krylon clear which tends to seal the edges.  Didn't do it this time with this NW-2 switcher edges cured and stayed curled so I ripped them off.

Levent made me this VA Line image too.

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010597
The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010598

You were right on with the BW markings.  Found a beautiful one in the dead of winter while moving a flower pot to sweep off the snow while we were in Maryland.

Looked exactly like this.

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Black_14
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:59 pm

I'm going to make spider in black with red dorsal dot.
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:04 pm

Curly edges? Strange. Low strength adhesive? Too much waited in water? Dip a soft small brush in water and try to smooth. Perhaps this may be work.
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:35 pm

Spider changed.

Download here

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Web-a10
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:36 am

This thread should bee called " Gone Web Nuts" lol!  Levent you are a Great Asset to our community!  This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:09 am

getback wrote:This thread should bee called " Gone Web Nuts" lol!  Levent you are a Great Asset to our community!  This Site Rocks!

Levent you are a Great Asset to our community!

Those are the words I was looking for. X2 squared.

Thanks Eric.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:55 am

Kinda cool, should work well in the red shade. Clear would be best. I have to say though the black widow on the hood looks more like an 8 legged beetle. It’s abdomen should be an orb not squared. Smile

The one on the door which looks to be taken from the 1973 box art looks good.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:39 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Kinda cool, should work well in the red shade. Clear would be best. I have to say though the black widow on the hood looks more like an 8 legged beetle. It’s abdomen should be an orb not squared. Smile

''Yes, Levent made up a set for me, repros of the Cox Lodela knock-off the the Jim Walker Flybaby that we did a thread on a year or so ago.  Was response to a fellow that posted about one made in Mexico looking for information.  We never heard from him again, but at least it exposed us to another Cox (sort-of) product.

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Cox_lo14

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Cox_lo15

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010599

Mine is a knock-off of a knock-off. Smile  Tail decal had to be black on white.

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010601

On the Mercedes, the decal will have to be clear sticky back to do the job.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:29 pm

I see, it was drawn that way from the decals on the “Viuda Negra”

Well in that case the original artist needs some specs!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:26 pm

Finally after almost a month in transit from the next state over the vinyl decal paper arrived.  Nine more items still on the way after weeks, no praise for the Post Office here.  

Disappointed in the results, but better than the curly water slide decals which still disappoint.

Not sure where to go from here Levent, any suggestions?

With or without microset the results are the same.  They curl even before I have a chance to apply them. Curious, I have always had good results with water slides.  

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010640

Vinyl works better but is still very apparent and does no fade into the background like waterslides.  

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010638

Over sprayed with clear, to no improvement.

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010639

The clear vinyl should do better on the smooth surfaced Cox Mercedes, but I'm having second thoughts about that.  I think I will save those renditions for my model airplane builds.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:24 am

Bob, it seems that clear vinyl didn't work. I see a white shade on clear parts. I think that you must find a quality water slide decal paper or choose the vinyl stripes that carries VA Line on them. Those vinyl stripes must be printed on a colored sheet such as white or red, with black or white lettering, no clear any. I mean those stripes goes along the side of engine.
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:27 pm

I’m not very experienced in “water slide” type decals. I recall poor performance of the ones that came with the plastic airplane models of the 60’s.  I did just find these two products on Paul Guillows web site , that could be possibly stocked at some hobby store or even from Guillows themselves.

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   0af37510
The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   42e02e10

EDIT:
Oops nevermind. i just scrolled up and read the earlier posts. You have Micro Sol / Micro Set in your possession already!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Yes, in that same picture is a VA line locomotive with white lettering, waterslide decal that went on perfectly.  But, that is a commercial decal cut from the word Valvoline.  Some NASCAR racer decal with lots of designs on it.  By contrast, they seem to work best for me.

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Valvol10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:38 am

Bob, try water slide decal manufacturers. They can make quality decals.
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:04 am

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:01 pm

Thanks Levent and Fred.

Thanks for those links Fred.  I have a lot of those tools etc. mentioned, the HO decals are interesting, never been there will have to look.  I need to get to Hobby Lobby again.  That covid thing.  I like the hands on approach.  I'm not a fan for this on line thing.  

I haven't had any luck with water slides from "The Crafty Printer" and the sticky backed from koala doesn't work on irregular painted surfaces, probably better for coffee cups etc.  

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010647
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  a betancourt Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:03 pm

Hello, I am still around here, now focussing more on R/C gliders, but my love for Cox is as strong as when I was 10 years old.

rsv1cox wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:Kinda cool, should work well in the red shade. Clear would be best. I have to say though the black widow on the hood looks more like an 8 legged beetle. It’s abdomen should be an orb not squared. Smile

''Yes, Levent made up a set for me, repros of the Cox Lodela knock-off the the Jim Walker Flybaby that we did a thread on a year or so ago.  Was response to a fellow that posted about one made in Mexico looking for information.  We never heard from him again, but at least it exposed us to another Cox (sort-of) product.

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Cox_lo14

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   Cox_lo15

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010599

Mine is a knock-off of a knock-off. Smile  Tail decal had to be black on white.

The Cox Levent Black Widow Mercedes experiment that didn't quite work out.   P1010601

On the Mercedes, the decal will have to be clear sticky back to do the job.
a betancourt
a betancourt
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down