Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Nitromethane Cox_ba12

Nitromethane Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» TD 09 Ducted Fan
by getback Yesterday at 8:41 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Nitromethane Empty
Live on Patrol

Nitromethane

Go down

Nitromethane Empty Nitromethane

Post  dckrsn Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:07 pm

I just bought a quart of 100% from Hyper Fuels
and spent just shy of $50 shipped. Anyone have
a cheaper source? Several years ago I bought a
quart from Gulf Hydrocarbons, and back then, I
thought it was steep. Oh well. Rolling Eyes
https://hyperfuels-com.3dcartstores.com/Nitromethane--Quart-Ships-March-1_p_252.html
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Nitromethane Empty Re: Nitromethane

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:05 pm

Bob, good on you. Maybe we all should be buying to make it cheaper.

I am not quick with math, will that make a gallon of mixed fuel?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:51 pm

Let's say your fuel is 25% nitro, 55% methanol and 20% oil, then each gallon would contain a quart of nitromethane.  You can do this by volume up to about 25% nitro, then you really need to use a hydrometer.

If you could source your nitro locally, say at a speed shop, it would probably be economical.  The big cost is the hazmat fees tacked onto shipping.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:31 am

Ron, the methanol is the least expensive as your probably aware of. This is cost effective if your making stunt fuels of 10% nitro or less. When I started buying Powermaster GMA it was $9 a gallon 20 + years ago. The last case of GMA Powermaster I purchased a little over a year ago worked out to nearly $24 a gallon and the guys were incredibly complaining. I believe that number is around $30 a gallon nowadays.  You want to see control line guy cry, take a nickel from them. In fact you may need to build a boat because you will drown. We were on easy street for a good long while. I was fortunate to buy extra cases when I could which was great because I sold it back to them at seriously inflated prices. Afterall, what are friends for.

If you make 10% nitro fuel, your only using 12.8 ounces of nitro per gallon. This seems very economical whereas making 1/2A fuels are not the case. A gallon of Torco methanol currently is around $26 shipped to your doorstep. The nice thing about mixing your fuel is the ability to control and know what your putting in it. I don't really trust many manufacturers aside from VP and Sig and I'm not a fan of doctored R/C fuels. I've experienced issues in doing so
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:25 am

Hi Bob , are you looking at blending ur own or boosting what U have? I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:17 pm

Y wonder how mutch wil cost of chiping on 42 galon of nitrometanol Laughing lol! Lots of $$$$$
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:51 pm

getback wrote:Hi Bob , are you looking at blending ur own or boosting what U have? I Love This Forum!
Hey Eric, I ordered the nitromethane as insurance. I have another quart and lot of methanol, and castor is readily available just
in case the blends stop being produced. Paranoid  Plus it won't get any cheaper as times goes on. I might spike a quart of
Sig 35% juice. Smoking
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:18 pm

davidll1984 wrote:Y wonder how mutch wil cost of chiping on 42 galon of nitrometanol Laughing lol! Lots of $$$$$
David, It would probably be cheaper to drive there and pick it up, regardless
where it is. lol!
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:55 pm

My club attends a swap meet in March. The pandemic put the brakes on that last year. A local fuel supplier who I was buying qts of nitro from told me he could no longer sell nitro to us in its raw form.  I stopped at the speed shop which is minutes from me. They carry  VP products and they also conveyed a similar message in which no nitro is to be distributed to the public unless it's mixed with other components. He could sell me VP Nitro 50/50 in 5 gallon metal cans in which he stated it doesn't leave the store unless it's bonded with a grounding cable within the vehicle or poured directly into a fuel cell. 5 gallon 50/50 minimum was almost $175.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:51 pm

davidll1984 wrote:Y wonder how mutch wil cost of chiping on 42 galon of nitrometanol Laughing lol! Lots of $$$$$
David
https://hyperfuels-com.3dcartstores.com/Nitromethane-42-Gallon-Drum-_p_361.html
The cheapest shipping to me here in New York is about $155 US.
You can enter your location, and calculate the cost.
Bob
Désolé David, j'ai manqué votre message.
https://hyperfuels-com.3dcartstores.com/Nitromethane-42-Gallon-Drum-_p_361.html
L'expédition la moins chère pour moi ici à New York est d'environ 155 $ US.
Vous pouvez entrer votre emplacement et calculer le coût.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:02 pm

dckrsn wrote:I just bought a quart of 100% from Hyper Fuels
and spent just shy of $50 shipped. Anyone have
a cheaper source? Several years ago I bought a
quart from Gulf Hydrocarbons, and back then, I
thought it was steep. Oh well. Rolling Eyes
https://hyperfuels-com.3dcartstores.com/Nitromethane--Quart-Ships-March-1_p_252.html
Bob

HeyBob! Thanks for the linc. Lots of stuff available there, we apparently can no longer obtain locally. I bought a quart just because, incase I need it. The site offered me a $5 discount by giving them my email. So, my total was $43 and change. $20 to ship 1qt, $22.50 to ship 2qts. ( no tax !) thanks Texas, appreciate your Lone Star attitude!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  bakergw Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:04 pm

HAHa maybe for once we will need to ship stuff from Oz to the USA! Lol. It always seems the other way around. We can still buy straight nitromethane from scotcher petroleum who do a lot of racing fuel in south Oz for drag cars, speedway, etc. and they sell and deliver locally other nice goodies like toluene I used to use in my TZ. We can also buy straight Nitro from HobbyHabbit a local hobby store here. I havent priced it, as I am lazy and buy premix, but might go to brewing my own.

No doubt South Oz will follow the USA real soon. Worlds best practice and all lol! I Love This Forum! Old Bugger

Cheers and good luck!

Gary
bakergw
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Nitromethane Empty BUY4FIVE

Post  Marleysky Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:01 am

I got $5 off my first purchase from HYPERFUELS and received this offer in my email inbox.
I’m guessing it’s like the RockAuto discount code that’s useable by anyone at checkout in the box that asks for a Promo Code:

Nitromethane 4f3f3a10

So if anyone else is interested in ordering some, here’s a $5 off code!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  bakergw Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:34 pm

bakergw wrote:HAHa maybe for once we will need to ship stuff from Oz to the USA! Lol. It always seems the other way around. We can still buy straight nitromethane from scotcher petroleum who do a lot of racing fuel in south Oz for drag cars, speedway, etc. and they sell and deliver locally other nice goodies like toluene I used to use in my TZ.  We can also buy straight Nitro from HobbyHabbit a local hobby store here. I havent priced it, as I am lazy and buy premix, but might go to brewing my own.

No doubt South Oz will follow the USA real soon. Worlds best practice and all lol! I Love This Forum! :old_bugger

Gary

Bloody Hell! I went on the net last night and checked Nitro avail in South Oz and it looks like since I last purchased we have implemented worlds best practice also! Mad We can still get Nitro but it has gotten harder. Plenty of pre-mix but raw Nitro is no longer listed where I expected to see it listed. I just get back to having lots of fun with old cox glow engines and the bastards make the fuel I need hard to get. Guess they want me to play bridge in an old folks home or community centre not hanging out at local footy ovals and school ovals on weekends flying my planes and having fun, whilst educating the curious youths attracted by the sound and colour, "wow, is that a petrol (gas) engine?. Yep, it uses that fuel over there. Wow thats Nitro fuel like in drag cars, how does the plane work mister?............. Thats really cool mister thanks. see you round. cheers. Kids/youths ride off a bit and watch fascinated.

I bet electric really excites them like that too. HaHaHa If you havent seen the alternative you just dont know I guess. When I was a kid we used to buy nitro fuel with loose change :-) We didnt have to use mufflers, flew anywhere and anywhen and no one ever complained. They all said at least the kids are outside and doing something. DAMMIT! Now Im saying things I thought I would never say!!!! :-) Get off my Lawn Old Bugger lol!

I better go to work before I say what I really think. HaHaHa

Cheers,
Gary

bakergw

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:26 pm

Ken Cook wrote:
5 gallon 50/50 minimum was almost $175.

At roughly $6/gallon of methanol ($15), this puts the price of nitro at about $64/gallon. This makes buying in bulk almost looking like an eyewash. At quart price for nitro we are close to $16. And this is before adding shipping or drive/pickup.

So rounding and estimating for the sake of generating numbers easily, add about 2 gallons of methanol, and 1 gallon of castor.

That's 4.5 gallons of methanol, 2.5 gallons of nitro, 1 gallon of castor....so $175+$18+$70 is about $32/gallon for 56% M, 31% N, 12.5% caster...that isn't far from regular RC fuel except the oil is castor. Yet even more synthetic OR castor will be needed.

I bought some 33% N low synth oil, and can doctor it to approach 22% N and acceptable castor/synthetic content and my numbers aren't much higher than the scenario spelled out above. This just made me understand I can't mix cheaply, and that wet fuel just got dominated by leckie-power.

But I love the smell of burning model airplane fuel...
Sigh!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:14 am

944_Jim wrote:
Ken Cook wrote:
This just made me understand I can't mix cheaply, and that wet fuel just got dominated by leckie-power.

But I love the smell of burning model airplane fuel...
Sigh!

Yeah, and it smells way better than smoked ESC’s or flamin’ LiPo batteries 🦨🦨
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  bakergw Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:32 pm

Hi all,

Just checked by actually ringing one of the few local hobby shops in south Oz. The hobby shop sells raw nitro in 1 litre bottles for Aust $42 which is pretty close to 2 US pints or a quart. At current exchange its roughly US $54 a quart. But at Scotcher Race Fuels nearby here in South Oz I can get pure drag race nitro at almost exactly half the price. I used to buy all my race fuel from them when I was younger and thought I would ring and check and yep, half price, so thats about US $15 a quart, but the one good thing is I know it is really good Nitro and thats around the same price some of you seem to be paying. Proper race quality methanol is Aust $ 1.75 a litre so about US $2.25 a quart. The local motor sport racing people mostly buy from these blokes so at least its good fuel for what you pay for it.

Mind you, as long as its easy to get from local hobby store pre-mixed and decent quality (which it seems to be), for the amount I use in a year its an awful lot easier to just buy pre-mixed a few litres at a time as I need it and add some Castor. The main thing for us on this side of the pond is talking to the bloke at Scotcher there is no issue with the likes of Earth Straps and Stuff to take it out of the shop! The people that deliver/supplier to them definitely have a truck with all the earthing and hazard signs and stuff, but so far availability doesnt look like a problem, mixed or raw. Scotcher will also mix/blend the fuels for you if you want. I should ask them what that would cost, might be the right happy middle ground for me. Really good blokes. I used to also buy toluene from them in 20 litre drums to give my race bike a bit of extra zip which it certainly did. Very nasty stuff on seals etc. required a lot of discipline to drain and empty things after every race during a race meeting and then flush everything after a race meeting.

Cheers,
Gary
bakergw

Back to top Go down

Nitromethane Empty NITRO

Post  Marleysky Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:02 pm

Ordered on Monday, delivered on Friday. No knock on door. Never even heard the Brown Truck pull up the drive.
SURPRISE sitting on the door step!
Nitromethane 6e74e710

ZOOM zoom engine go BOOM ! lol!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  bakergw Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Marleysky wrote:

ZOOM zoom engine go BOOM !  lol!

Lol. lol! Airplane cheers   That has really started my weekend off the right way.! first thing ive read this morning Thumbs Up

Off to Scotcher Race Fuels this morning with a mate to buy a Gallon of Nitro  and 20 litre drum of methanol we will share. cheers

things will certainly go BOOM this arvo with a few beers Thumbs Up lol! Beers

Cheers,
Gary
bakergw

Back to top Go down

Nitromethane Empty Nitromethane

Post  Grf4413 Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:47 pm

RC Plane has anyone tried GlowPlugBoy fuel that is on the bay? Shipping not bad if you buy 2 quarts.  It's 35% n,  18% castor.
Grf4413
Grf4413
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:39 pm

Hey Grf4413, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!
IMHO GlowPLugBoy is good stuff. We've had several "Tach Races held by
this forum, and at least once GPB was used in all the engines.
Bob

Last edited by dckrsn on Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:39 pm

Grf4413 wrote:RC Plane has anyone tried GlowPlugBoy fuel that is on the bay? Shipping not bad if you buy 2 quarts.  It's 35% n,  18% castor.

Oh yeah Fitzfuel is Great!  I believe he was/is a sponser of the S.M.A.L.L. Meets
Did a quick check, shipping on 2 Qts is only 13 bucks direct off his webpage:

http://fitzfuels.com/index.php?controller=contact

Nitromethane Eb8f4810
Nitromethane 46dbf710

Great stuff especially if you don’t want to mess around blending your own !
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down