Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Tall engine and glow head fins Cox_ba12

Tall engine and glow head fins Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Irvine Mills .75 replica
by ffkiwi Today at 4:43 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:33 am

» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by balogh Today at 1:06 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by getback Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Tall engine and glow head fins Empty
Live on Patrol

Tall engine and glow head fins

Go down

Tall engine and glow head fins Empty Tall engine and glow head fins

Post  Coxfledgling Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:26 am

The second hand Cox 049's I purchased just arrived, wow that was quick, thanks David !

I will ask again about the glow heads but I do not recognise this tall engine, what engine is it please ?

Picture here...
TheTall engine and glow head fins Img_2016

Also does brake fluid effect ( eat it soften ) the plastic carb tank covers please ?

I have seen on here antifreeze is used, is USA antifreeze different to UK stuff, lots of methanol in it ?

I have UK methalated Spirits, the purple stuff...

As ever, all help greatly appreciated...off down the shed.....with a big smile 😊

Well getting the picture into this thread took ages, and, info sought may be in the 049 Texaco thread, this taller engine may be a Texaco ?

Back later....
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Tall engine and glow head fins Empty Re: Tall engine and glow head fins

Post  ffkiwi Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:05 pm

The tall head is definitely from a Texaco engine-and not fitted to any other type (ex factory)....but of course may not necessarily be installed on one now-though I have to say the one in the photo DOES look like a standard Texaco, with the grey moulded backplate and slit exhausts... reason for the tall head is extra cooling as Texacos are intended to be run on large props at low revs-typically 7-8000rpm (ie about half the normal speed of a cox reed valve 049)-and the standard head overheats. To the best of my knowledge-INTERNALLY the head is exactly the same as the standard low compression #325 glowhead...it just has a greater height and more fins...

FWIW I don't think there is any particular advantage in using one on a standard reedvalve.....unless you are in a particular situation where the engine overheats on a regular basis....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Tall engine and glow head fins Empty Fledgling

Post  Coxfledgling Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:29 am

Thanks mate, would you know if the 049's has a lube groove or channel in the main bearing, so lube eventually reaches the front section of the crank main bearing area, and, does the waisted area of the crank main bearing area gets gunged up ?
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:26 am

Coxfledgling wrote:Thanks mate, would you know if the 049's has a lube groove or channel in the main bearing, so lube eventually reaches the front section of the crank main bearing area, and, does the waisted area of the crank main bearing area gets gunged up ?

Some certainly do-I can't say with certainty if all Cox reed 049s do....and no -the waisted area between the two shaft journals does not usually get gunged up....though if you strip a motor that has had some running you will find a bit of thick oil residue there.   I  rationalize this by the fact that the bearing clearances are such that no air reaches this area in prolonged storage-so if using a castor based fuel (and you should be!) the residual oil does not have any opportunity to oxidise to any significant degree-so does not 'dry' and turn to varnish under normal usage. In contrast you will often find the narrow gap between the crankcase nose and the rear of the prop driver will get stiff and sticky in an engine that has been run and allowed to sit for an extended period.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Coxfledgling Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:24 am

Thanks Chris, nice to know, but I think I will completely strip the now 5 Cox 049's I have to completely clean and relube before re assembly and a tank full run, just to be sure.

I am s arching the clothes cupboard for an old leather belt, and an inch off it to grip the cylinder with the head on, so aid cylinder removal.

Hope that bit goes like clockwork. I will warm the c/case first.

When done I will report back with findings, as each engine is slightly different.

Cox must have made millions and millions of these little gems.
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:08 pm

À very long storage without Remove old oil wil try turn oil To hard residue like plastiques Or almost here is an example of tee dee i have found in Reed valve engines To its Not that hard and save trouble engines life To The oil must imperatively reach the end part of the crankchaft Tall engine and glow head fins Screen98
That black stuff on crank shaft wil destroy its crankcase compression wil Not seal correct leak fuel from prop drive if run wit that stuf inside crankchaft lube Line in Reed valve wil also get filed wit that old residue and damage crankcase and crankchaftTall engine and glow head fins 16163710
Tall engine and glow head fins 16163711
Keap the bearing surface from rust spot somtime just litle Polishing wil help To just place in dril y use cars Polishing stuf work
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Coxfledgling Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:02 pm

Merci David, I can see the lube groove in your centre picture....merci, thanks, and in Welsh. Diolch 😊.
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down