Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked Cox_ba12

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 9:50 am

» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked Empty
Live on Patrol

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked

Go down

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked Empty K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:44 am

Mixed up a slurry of light oil and JB "non-embedding" bore paste and poured it in the intake and on top of the cylinder and ran an electric drill on the shaft for about 30 seconds. Dumped it back in the crock pot for an hour, cleaned it up with detergent/clean hot water, oiled and I can turn the crankshaft with fingers, head off. Something that was impossible before.

Assembled it and was rewarded with that nice compression pop the equal of most of my .35 sized engines. Glow plug still tests good, now to see if it will run. It should, I can detect no slop or wobble in the crankshaft.

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked P1011186

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked P1011181
K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked P1011182
K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked P1011180
K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked P1011183
K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked P1011184
K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked P1011185
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked Empty RE: K&B Green head torpedo .35- it worked

Post  Eddy Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:00 pm

rsv, Great job taking your time on this in bring back the K&B. I sure would have thought the "Crock Pot" method, would have been enough, but obviously more help was needed. You showed us that patience, really is a virtue. Don't understand the different prop driver, as someone really changed something there, any way, real nice job. Now go and enjoy your work on say, something of the period, be different, like the Barnstormer. Eddy
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked Empty Re: K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked

Post  getback Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:35 am

Good job , Man it came out nice !! You still going to run it up ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked Empty Re: K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:03 am

getback wrote:Good job , Man it came out nice !! You still going to run it up ?

Tried to a couple of days ago.

Fueled it with Traxx 10% with added castor, flipped and it backfired spinning the prop nut nearly off. I had the needle out about four turns primed only with finger over intake. Too rich I thought, in a turn and got several nice pops. This thing is going to run I'm thinking but I never did find the needles sweet spot. With sweat running off my forehead I gave up.

Plenty of fire, lot's of compression, a rotation or two. It will run, just have to keep at it. Leather glove, no spinner, no electric starter.

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked P1011187
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:23 am

Well as hot as it is it needs no warming up Laughing Looks like your in the garage and i know that baby is going to bee Loud and you have hearing protection !??! It's a little hard for me to hear engines pop off with plugs in but muff's are easily put on , of coarse you know this Rolling Eyes I got my new battery for my starter box and need to finish hooking it up (it was a Free Bee too ) Guy down the road he has a big field out in front of his place off the road , said i could fly there (beans in it now ) But there are a lot more of the Big power line/towers there than my no fling butt wants to work around No
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked Empty Re: K&B Green head torpedo .35- It worked

Post  Eddy Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:00 pm

If this helps to get the Green Head to run. Both of my Torpedo .35's have the same stock needle valve assemblies. They both run with the needle turned open from a closed position, at 3 and 1/8 turns open. The better running Torpedo, will tac. at 12,150 with a 10/5 Master Airscrew on 5% nitro. Hope this might help, 10% nitro might be a little hot with the 9.0 compression ratio untill it's warmed up. Eddy
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:53 am

rsv1cox wrote:

Tried to a couple of days ago.

Fueled it with Traxx 10% with added castor, flipped and it backfired spinning the prop nut nearly off.  I had the needle out about four turns primed only with finger over intake.  Too rich I thought, in a turn and got several nice pops.  This thing is going to run I'm thinking but I never did find the needles sweet spot.  With sweat running off my forehead I gave up.  

Plenty of fire, lot's of compression, a rotation or two. It will run, just have to keep at it.  Leather glove, no spinner, no electric starter.  

Silly question maybe, but are you sure the piston is assembled the correct way around? Cylinder not 180º out? Ports all lining up correctly?
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:13 am

Thanks Eddy, I will give that needle setting a try. I have some SIG 5% but it's a sealed bottle that I have been protecting.  Might have to break it out.

And Rod, I never got the cylinder off, previous owner maybe?  But the baffle is opposite the exhaust port and the ports are aligned correctly.   It wants to run. It has a nicely stamped 35 on the front of the cylinder head, an extra touch on these engines.  I think McCoy did it too.  

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:32 am

Ah, can't hurt to check. You can never rely on the last guy to have assembled it correctly. There are stories from people on this and other forums who have been given or purchased an engine cheaply because it wouldn't run, only to find that a strip down and correct assembly pays dividends 'cos the last guy got it wrong.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:03 pm

Ken got me all excited about running an O&R engine, so I took my .29 out to the garage to do so.

Found the K&B as I had left it, so decided to try that one first. Reset the needle to Eddy's spec's, lit the fire, primed it and after a couple of flips it just took off. Yeah, LOUD, but running fine with no further NV adjustment. Strong and steady until the fuel supply ran out. Happy.

Then tried to fit the O&R in the Tatone mount, wouldn't fit, tried the other mount with the same result, case on the O&R way to deep. Got to build a mount that fits.

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked P1011245
K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked P1011246
K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked P1011247
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:06 pm

Found the K&B as I had left it, so decided to try that one first. Reset the needle to Eddy's spec's, lit the fire, primed it and after a couple of flips it just took off. Yeah, LOUD, but running fine with no further NV adjustment. Strong and steady until the fuel supply ran out. Happy. wrote:
sunny cheers cheers cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked Empty RE: K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked

Post  Eddy Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:19 am

rsv- Great you have it running, I always have a soft spot for these Green Head engines. The cheaper Stallions of the day, I never owned, as some corners were cut to bring the price of the Stallion to the McCoy neighborhood. For some reason the Stallion I seen run, lost a con rod due to the crank pin coming out, as they were a press in pin I believe. Eddy
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:01 pm

Great job on that old Torpedo Green head .35, I'm building a California quicker, and the plans have it being used with a Torpedo Green head .35, i was wondering if you what it weighs? I'm going to be using a os .25 on it and wanted to compare.
thanks.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:29 pm

Had to find it. Still had the old Top Flight 9/5 on it. Good to hear from you again.

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked P1012432
K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked P1012433
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:28 pm

If anyone is wrecking one of these, I'm still in the market for a needle valve and spray bar assembly. Wink
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:18 pm

Thanks for the weigh in, appreciate it. The torpedo is heavier than the OS .25. .25 with the Rc carb on it. weighs 6.9.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:43 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:If anyone is wrecking one of these, I'm still in the market for a needle valve and spray bar assembly. Wink

I think Mecoa is offering a generic variant: https://www.mecoa.biz/shopexd.asp?id=4996

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

K&B Green head torpedo .35 - It worked Empty re Ohlsson spares

Post  ffkiwi Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:56 pm

Seeing as the Ohlsson got a brief mention in passing in this K&B thread-does anyone know of a source for the venturi restrictors-I have 6 Ohlssons-and three of them are missing the intake restrictors. Likewise the needle valve clicker-the spring tensioner-is a bit fragile and often snapped off on second hand examples. Any suggestions welcome...the Ohlssons due to their design do not lend themselves to turning up a restrictor on the lathe-like you'd do for most other makes, faced with the same problem. both the restrictor and the needle valve spring are stamped components-not easily replicated.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:32 pm

ffkiwi wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:If anyone is wrecking one of these, I'm still in the market for a needle valve and spray bar assembly. Wink

I think Mecoa is offering a generic variant:  https://www.mecoa.biz/shopexd.asp?id=4996

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Thanks Chris, I had seen that one but price, particularly with MECOA's shipping policy, puts the NVA far beyond the value of the engine.  Just keeping an eye on any junk lots on eBay that might have something I can use.
Got a couple of NIP Enya .09 NVAs recently in a parts lot for good $$$ but way too small for this example.  Just gotta keep watch. Shocked
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:39 pm

Understood Rod-it does look to be a very close replica of the original generic Torpedo unit fitted to the 29, 35 and 45 GH models though-other than the ability to adjust the centreing (a really good idea IMO)... Yes Mecoa is expensive unless you're doing a large order or clubbing together with others on a joint order.

ChrisM
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:02 am

The original Supertiger is ."157" in diameter. I firmly believe that the K&B needle valve is the same. K&B offered the K&B universal needle valve which was the standard in the 80's. That needle assembly is still offered by Mecoa. It really isn't a good needle, better than a Fox but it does have some issues. The knob is staked and it can slide on the needle shaft. I have used that assembly on Fox.35's. The Fox is turned down in the center but the case diameter hole is the same. Therefore, purchase a Enya needle valve assembly for half of what Mecoa sells for. It's a better needle valve anyway not too mention they offer shims if needed. Supertiger copies use plastic nylon shims. RSM sells those. STAY AWAY from those, they leak like a strainer. The best spacers I always found were the red fiber washers from a Perfect bellcrank.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddy Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:17 pm

Hi Ken. I have no experience with the Supertiger needle valves as you seem to have. But I have used the K & B #2918 universal needle valve assembly in my K & B .35's for years now, I have had good luck with them as I still have two new in package assemblies left, they fit the .19 to the .35 engines. My valve measures just a tad smaller at .145 and the needle is a very snug .063 with no leakage what so ever, as to the Foxes. With that said, I have none of the present day Mecoa versions to measure against the originals that the writer is looking for. Any one with .19 to .35 Torpedo's with needle's intact should work, they are getting scarce at swap meets. Eddy
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down