Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Midwest ME-109 .15 Size Profile Cox_ba12

Midwest ME-109 .15 Size Profile Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 10:17 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Midwest ME-109 .15 Size Profile Empty
Live on Patrol

Midwest ME-109 .15 Size Profile

Go down

Midwest ME-109 .15 Size Profile Empty Midwest ME-109 .15 Size Profile

Post  Kim Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:02 am

So, at risk of starting another build thread that just kinda tapers away, here's the fuselage of the Midwest Models ME-109 kit I got from Ron...with an Enya .15 I ALSO got from Ron!

As could be expected, it's close to the size of my beloved Shark 15, and I'm now ready to start work on its wing.  Our current drop in temps has really helped keep the shop comfortable without giving it's poor air conditioner a hernia so, the work has been fun.

When finished, it will fly on my newly discovered front yard flight circle that has the diameter to handle such aircraft.  

I'm probably gonna compile an album and video, dedicated to the flight circle itself, and titled: "A Fence Runs Through It"!
.....................................................................................
After a lot more work than it looks like, the 109's fuse is set aside while the rest of its wing parts get pushed from their sheet stock.

Midwest ME-109 .15 Size Profile Me-10910
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Midwest ME-109 .15 Size Profile Empty Re: Midwest ME-109 .15 Size Profile

Post  andrew Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:08 am

Looking forward to upcoming pics and vids.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:21 am

andrew wrote:Looking forward to upcoming pics and vids.

Thanks Andrew!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3daf346BUM
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:03 pm

So you got it, eh Kim? I got the Mustang from that set all spread out. Care to trade patterns? I'll trace mine and scan them to you, you do the same for me. I can get the build sheet for the ME from OZ.

Thanks in advance,
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:25 pm

944_Jim wrote:So you got it, eh Kim? I got the Mustang from that set all spread out. Care to trade patterns? I'll trace mine and scan them to you, you do the same for me. I can get the build sheet for the ME from OZ.

Thanks in advance,

Hey Jim,

I can trace the parts for you as I as I assemble them.  The ribs shouldn't be too big of a deal, but the fuse parts are assembled, with blanks not being in good condition.  The die-cutting was pretty good with this kit.  I also copied the build sheet from OZ.

I appreciate the offer on the Mustang, but I'd probably never get around to building it...got a bunch of other projects screaming over my shoulder as I work on the this one.

Shoot me you mailing address and I'll get the sheet to you as soon as I get it finished.

Hey Jim,
I forgot to mention that I didn't get a plan sheet with the kit, and am going by the plan I got from OZ.

I checked the plan on OZ and the patterns are included on the plan, so you 'll probably be better off enlarging those to patterns.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:33 pm

Using the plansheet parts patterns sounds like a possible solution. Then I should scan and blow up the parts on the Mustang, and check them against the actual parts. If I pull that off, I'll scale up the ME parts from the OZ plan. I may hit you up for your tracings if I can't work the plans patterns.
Thanks...

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:52 am

944_Jim wrote:Using the plansheet parts patterns sounds like a possible solution. Then I should scan and blow up the parts on the Mustang, and check them against the actual parts. If I pull that off, I'll scale up the ME parts from the OZ plan. I may hit you up for your tracings if I can't work the plans patterns.
Thanks...

OK, but please let me know so I can hit these parts with some CA.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:19 am

Kim,

Please don't hold off building on my account. I have to get off my duff and clean the work room...too many "almost dones," and "sanded, ready to glue up" kits. I think I'll have a pretty dopey winter covering a pile of wings and fuselages. Next spring will be the season of many planes to fly.

All of the tracings I've done were on soft/kit wood as it came out of the stamped sheets. CA if it fits your build method, but not just for grabbing tracings.

If not too much of an inconvenience, I would like ribs/flaps and stab/elevator...a bonus would be any other part not shown (but would typically visible on top planform) since we don't have a topview to work from (bellcrank plywood, any corner gussets, wing tips). Really, just the ribs would clear up a good bit, and the rest can be assumed, or interpolated (extrapolated?) by a skilled builder (I'd like to think I'm pretty good).

Thanks!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Midwest ME-109 .15 Size Profile Empty An unintended consequence - in a good way!

Post  andrew Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:59 pm

Given that Kim's build thread is underway, I wanted to locate the plans for both the ME-109 and the P-51. What I found was a common manufacturer (Midwest) and designer: Vince Micchia. When I searched on Micchia, I found that Micchia had been a big player in the designs of a number of models from the mid-60's into the early 80's including several 1/2A production models: 1/2A SST, L-19 Bird Dog, Lil Tri Squire and Tri Squire, kit version of the Mach 1 (big brother of the Mach None) and the Super Sniffer. In all, there were 20 models listed under his name, 1/2A through .35 sized.

So, thank you, Kim. Were it not for your thread, I likely would have never made the connection between the different 1/2A models and Micchia
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:18 pm

COOL!!!

The roots of these various planes can spread pretty far.!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:29 am

I've built many of the Midwest series warbirds over the years. I had fun with them. I built all but the Skyraider in the 48" series. I have a few kits left aside from the 48" Kingcobra. Larry Richards made reproduction kits of both the .15 & .35 series not too mention many of the Veco kits. Larry's work was the most amazing kits I've ever witnessed in a hand cut kit. He was a master. Larry also restores full scale warbirds as well so he's a very knowledgeable modeler. I never purchased his warbird Midwest series kits and regret it to this day. I've seen his 48" Kingcobra sell for close to $300. His wood selection and accuracy made the old Midwest tanks fly quite well.  Midwest isn't exactly known for lightness. The nice thing about them though was that as a kid, you needed the hard and heavy wood because any mishap resulted in splinters.

My dad built this .15 size ME-109 like Kim's in the early eighties. This was powered by a Cox Medallion .15. We purchased 4 Cox Medallions from Tower Hobbies in 1983 for $20 a piece. I have one new left and one decided it didn't like it's piston and spit it out.  I fly it once in a while. Not the last plane my dad built but close to it. He went back into r/c and the last of the last was a Banshee I bought for him as a father's day present. Even today 30+ years later, it still looks good. My dad was a neat builder and even this paint job looks great. He's a talented builder and I admire this scheme.

I will say that one thing that I felt that hindered performance on my 48" version was the rad scoops on the underside of the wing. I felt this caused a lot of drag causing the plane to act differently when looping. I don't recall this issue with the .15 but I removed them on the 48". I sold my 48" ME-109 at a Jersey swap meet a few years ago. Some say that you won't miss them ten minutes afterwards. I disagree, I liked the plane regardless of how it flew. I originally  found it in a trash can one day on my way to work. It was half started, many pieces missing but decals, canopy, flap horn wires, all in the box. Some one gave up and I rescued it only to fly it after being built 12 years later.

One thing that I tend to agree with that most state is the wings of these models. They're just too thin and they need to fly fast which doesn't equate well with stunt. To most, this is a non issue but I will say some of my most memorable moments of flying is a result of these planes.

Midwest ME-109 .15 Size Profile Dscn2958

Midwest ME-109 .15 Size Profile Dscn2959

Midwest ME-109 .15 Size Profile Dscn2960

I'm waiting to flip it over one day and break the rudder off so I can get rid of that rudder offset. I have no touch up so I'll wait for it to break and repair it straight.

This was painted with flat Poly-U colors. Poly U wasn't well liked by myself but it worked so so. Thinner was a problem and the underside turned out more shiny due to incorrect thinner. They offered two types of thinner and my dad used the brushing thinner vs the spraying thinner due to running out. This slows the drying time therefore the finish came out like a semi-satin vs a flat like the top. All in all it looks cool.

I don't currently have it as I gave it to a club member but it was the more rare .15 sized P-40. I gave it to a club member who really wanted it due to owning one in the 70's. He made claims that he would fly it. I haven't seen it in nearly 10 years. Mine was covered entirely in Monokote but it looked great.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down