Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

.049 in good shape - CL plane - not so much Cox_ba12

.049 in good shape - CL plane - not so much Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

.049 in good shape - CL plane - not so much Empty
Live on Patrol

.049 in good shape - CL plane - not so much

Go down

.049 in good shape - CL plane - not so much Empty .049 in good shape - CL plane - not so much

Post  cstatman Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:16 pm

well, for the first time in ~ 30 years, I tried flying CL again.

the .049 ran GREAT (thanks Bob)

i got about 1/2 a circle before the 30 yr old hinges gave up and I nosed it into the parking lot,  causing my 15 yr old to laugh SO hard he almost wet himself.

this is NOT what a CG Stunt Man should look like

The motor is fine, the plane will probably get a rebuild -  I will try again!  Smile

.049 in good shape - CL plane - not so much 8a8f9c10
.049 in good shape - CL plane - not so much 3c93b110
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

.049 in good shape - CL plane - not so much Empty Re: .049 in good shape - CL plane - not so much

Post  getback Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:56 am

DAMMIT! Man even knocked the landing wheels off lol! Greenie for getting out there , never mind the peanut gallery , it will click with him when he sees you doing loops inverted flight and wingovers !! Eyebrows Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

.049 in good shape - CL plane - not so much Empty Re: .049 in good shape - CL plane - not so much

Post  cstatman Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:29 am

seeing/hearing honest, real laughter? from my teenager?
totally worth it! Smile

the plane is almost rebuilt. I need to spend some time this evening sorting out the stab assembly.

the motor is cleaned up and some of Bernie's famous After-Run sauce put through it.
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:37 am

Yep. Good job! I have had many like that as well. Just keep at it and it will come back to you.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:39 pm

I don't see a problem with any hinges!???..

OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:22 am

OhBee wrote:I don't see a problem with any hinges!???..

Looks more like control horn failure.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:01 am

the hinges got "loose" and very "flappy". when the plane nosed down? bits came off everywhere.

as I am rebuilding, I've traced the old elevator onto new balsa, and will make stronger surface to mount control horn, and better hinge arrangement.

meanwhile, I've put same .049 on a vintage sterling spitfire profile jobbie, and will see if i have better luck

Stan at Vintage Performance has a bunch of repop vintage CL kits -- I'm NOT a CL guy --- but it seems an interesting way to excercise my .049s. - https://vintageperformancemodelairplanes.com/collections/1-2a-radial-mount-kits

Laser cut, and MUCH cheaper than fighting to buy old kits off eBay.

I have my eye on the Baby Ringmaster......

cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:22 pm

I will say that your flying handle is far too large and the cables too heavy for 1/2A flying. Your seriously over controlling the plane with a handle spacing that wide.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:37 pm

Ken!   I think you are 100% correct!   (re-learning after 30+ years...)  I need to find an old 1/2A handle layin around

I do have dacron line instead of wire, so that helps some,  but I think the handle is way way too big,  after you broght it up -- thank you

today!   My Sterling Spitfire?   2 full circles before I destroyed the prop  (but nothing else on the plane got broke)

My 15 yr old says "dad, we need to find a grassy field, that will be better"

Him am smart

.049 in good shape - CL plane - not so much 3bf20b10
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:27 am

I built all but 3 of the beginner Sterling series slab wingers. Some flew much better than others. I learned to fly inverted on the P-47 Thunderbolt. The Spitfire is ok it will loop but it flies better without the gear. Obviously troublesome if your over asphalt. The Ringmaster Bipe was also a good flyer. I recall one of my senior club members saying if you want to impress me, do a outside loop and sure enough it did.

Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:01 pm

Wow, it's probably been about 30 years since I flew a Control line also. It was a hot dog wing, so I guess considered a combat. I built
it but I can't remember the kit name. I had an unusual engine in it, a Taipan .15 on a bladder (what a pain the bladder was) I got a couple flights on it before I stuffed it in the grass. The engine survived OK but I think I scrapped the plane. I still have the engine.
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:33 am

i cant stand having engines. (model airplane, motorcycle, automotive) that I dont USE.

CL seems like a good way to burn castor --- its been years, wiith advice from folks here, and a 15 yr old encouraging me to "so what dad, fly it or destroy it - ya gotta TRY". I'm getting closer...

the eventual goal is free flight kits with my .020s --- but no place close around here to play. so CL it is.

Same 15 yr old mentioned. "maybe a grass field"

getting closer and closer

cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:46 pm

I use to fly R/C sailplanes in the winch launch days at a pretty nice field not too far from Phoenix International Raceway, so way the heck out in the west valley. Me and the club guys were there flying one weekend morning when a group of guys sere setting up on another part of the pretty large field. Turned out it was a model control line club! I was really interested, so I walked over to say hi and watch a few of their flights . It was really fun even just to watch one of the club members saw my interest and asked if I would like to fly. They had at least 1 or 2 club planes there and they were for new members to get started on. So I said sure. It was a mid size plane on some pretty long lines so bigger than I had flown in my youth. I think he got it going for me and I just took the controls for a while, really fun and brought back memories. I was pretty careful and didn't crash or anything.

Later they did the coolest thing. They got 3 generations of a family in the circle at the same time. The little guy started first with the fastest plane. Then his dad joined in with a slightly slower plane. Then Grandpa joined in with the slowest plane.

That was so cool to watch. The 3 planes sere fairly close in speed and the little guy would duck under his dad and grandpa when passing them.

I had the name of the club and was planning on building a plane and joining but you all know how life goes, best laid plans of mice and men. I was still a working stiff at that time and already involved in a couple of hobbies. Sad
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:22 pm

PHX Firebird Raceway... oh, the motorcycles I've crashed there... Smile

its never too late! you are on this forum, so you have some cox engines....

get ya one of these here modern laser cut things, bolt a cox on it and get to crashin!
(flying?)

https://vintageperformancemodelairplanes.com/collections/1-2a-radial-mount-kits

cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:33 pm

I drive by Firebird fairly often.

I have a Midwest Lil Snip I should finish some day.

Just saw the link. OhMyGosh I gotta get a Baby Flight Streak. I always wanted one of those. I started with a Baby Clown I believe. but the flight streak looked racier.
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:29 am

I am happy to see any company figuring out how to laser cut - kit - and bring back the planes of the past

when the price for a "repop" is less than originals on eBay? It's easy for me to make a decision

We have the cox motors - we need to put em on planes and see what happens.
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:22 pm

cstatman wrote:i cant stand having engines. (model airplane, motorcycle, automotive) that I dont USE.

You would go nutz around my house then.  Smile

Running one a day it would take me most of a couple of years to run them all.  I still enjoy running them, used to enjoy flying them control line - many times a week until I was about thirty five and moved on to R/C.   Today I get enyoyment from just looking at them, I keep them out where I can see them, not stuck in drawers out of sight.  

Don't know how I missed this thread.  Red meat for me.  In my twisted way I enjoy seeing smashed up/missing parts airplanes with an eye towards making them whole again.  Retiring the word - them..............

Post pictures when the red one is fixed up.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:50 am

I don't know about nutz - and if I am TRUE to myself, I DO have a Honda CB175 that has not run in 8 months... a Torpedo Twin-Stack a pal gave me, that has not run because I have never run a sparkie, and haven't been able to figure it out yet... .. etc...

Another pal has the concept of "how many cylinders are you responsible for"
you add up ALL the cylinders you own and maintain. car +6, truck +8, Motorcycle +2 +2 + 4 +1 +1 +2 +2, yard tools +3, Boat +8, model airplane motors +OMG. ---- etc

and the total number of Cylinders you maintain - roughly lets you know how miuch free time you will have.
For me - that free time usually involves excercising those cyliniders... Smile

And you are 100% correct - crash em, fix 'em, try it AGAIN!
the red StuntMan is back together, with a motor mounted.
the green Spit had a cracked rudder - also back together, motor mounted

I have some 35% nitro comnig from Sig, and 1/2A CL handle coming from a pal on this forum....

I get the kid Sunday - we do "driving practice" after dinner - and I'll take both planes out, probably monday or tuesday next week.

cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:46 pm

If you go to your profile there is a section there:

Cylinder Index (C.I.): Your total number of internal combustion engine cylinders (plane, car, truck, bike, tractor, lawnmower...) If you have a V6 in your car, you count that as '6'.

Some fill it out others do not.  

Oh, excuse me...............Just noticed that you did fill it out. You have work to do. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:01 pm

every day an opportunity, adventure and blessing.. or something like that! Smile
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  FlipStart Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:19 pm

rsv1cox wrote:If you go to your profile there is a section there:

Cylinder Index (C.I.): Your total number of internal combustion engine cylinders (plane, car, truck, bike, tractor, lawnmower...) If you have a V6 in your car, you count that as '6'.

Some fill it out others do not.  

Oh, excuse me...............Just noticed that you did fill it out.  You have work to do.  Smile

Bob

OoOo,.. I need to count my cylinders and enter that. I suppose my air compressor don't count.
FlipStart
FlipStart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:52 am

cstatman wrote:PHX Firebird Raceway...   oh, the motorcycles I've crashed there...  Smile

Mine was a Yamaha TZ 350 E model with 36mm Mikuni Powerjet carbs with "no idle" slides and direct piston ported (no reeds) and extra boost ports cut into the cylinder liner from the inlet up towards TDC, heavily modified transfer ports and custom exhaust tuned to the modified heads. Dry Clutch. Made power from 9k/9.5k to 12/12.5k. Open the throttle hard at 7k and it oiled up the plugs. Lol. The "no idle" slides meant you always had to have the throttle open. Crashed many times and always figured any day I could walk away from a crash was a very good day. cheers Great time. :-)

Now I also fly CL planes again as I did in my youth but with my son, and he also laughs at my flying and crashing, but I always like to fly my planes like I stole them. Lol.

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:30 pm

we took the Sterling Spitfire to the park with a cox .049, 35% fuel, and a much smaller handle

thanks everyone for advice
thank Bob for the CL handle

This is the first time Saul has EVER flown a control line. He said "its fun, I'm Dizzy, we need practice"

about 3 guys stopped to watch and exclaim "oh man, that smell takes me back a few years"
they were not "youngsters" for sure. Smile

what a fun evening.

thanks everyone for advice and encouragement

https://youtu.be/zlIsyx-Of0E
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down