Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Bob Inspired P38 Cox_ba12

Bob Inspired P38 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 1:04 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Bob Inspired P38 Empty
Live on Patrol

Bob Inspired P38

Go down

Bob Inspired P38 Empty Bob Inspired P38

Post  Yabby Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:39 pm

I have never built a model with more than 1 engine or flown a model with more than 1 engine and have never built a model that has wheels. Below is a picture of the P38 I am building to take two Cox 049 Surestart Engines which has been inspired by the Tether model Bob (rsv1cox) is building! Clapping cheers  I thought white would look good for a P38 but it looks disgusting even by shocking Yabby build standards. For those that use Rustoleum of which I am one, and use it on all of my planes, the new Gloss Rustoleum is absolute rubbish, comes out really course and just not good. Maybe I got a bad can, but it isnt Gloss and couldnt be more matt if it tried. Its rubbish. stay with the standard matt version of rustoleum if you are on the "dark side" using as I do. lol!

Bob Inspired P38 Yabby_11

The wheels havent gone on yet, as I need to work out how I will do that. The only plane I ever had with wheels was my blue and yellow Cox P19 plastic trainer, which quickly became more fiberglass and plastibond than plastic. Lol. After that plane had its day, I have always built from scratch either my own design or from plans I obtained and we always hand launched. No wheels Old Bugger Very Happy

Still work to do before it flies but nearly there. My dad, son, and a few friends have said they want to be there for the "first flight" as they dont think there will be a second. Very Happy

Thanks Bob!! Thumbs Up  your Tether project got me thinking outside my normal constrained view and has resulted in me building something I would never have thought of building were it not for your Fun build and your sharing it with us all  Clapping , and I am enjoying my P38 build even though I think it will fly like a classic Ken Cook "Turd" lol! Old eyes can still look at things like a young person if you open them enough  Old Bugger . Doing things for the pure joy, fun and wonder is what I bet got most of us started in all this as youngsters. Ive been getting more and more back into my fast, twitchy, combat planes and flying style, but the fun of Bobs build has diverted me to something new to me. Its not Tether but its multi engine with wheels and very new to me.

If this works, i really want to try building a profile Yabby version of the Spruce Goose!  lol!

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Bob Inspired P38 Empty Re: Bob Inspired P38

Post  davidll1984 Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:42 pm

Cool build twin Thumbs Up Howard Hughes build the (Spruce Goose) it was the first version Of a plane more known under the name H- 4 Hercules A great pilot, inventor and filmmaker I have a vague memory of a biplane plane That he had remove the top wing Add a bigger motor To achieve an new aerial maneuver Flying Airplane
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:34 pm

Great project Yabby and I would recognize that profile anywhere.

Just wait until you get those two Surestarts burning together, you will become aware immediately when they sync up. Such a beautiful sound.

When I finished my P-38 and discovered how much fun it was to start and fly, I thought about building a four engine B-24 Liberator. Your eight engined Spruce Goose would be quite a challange, But, it's been done.

Good luck, and I will be watching.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:39 pm

I always wanted to build a Sterling 1/2A built up wing P-38. I've seen two fly, not impressive for performance but it looked cool as could be. I've built 3 of the Sterling .09-.15 size P-38's. I do think a turd would fly better actually. This is a picture of my current Sterling P-38. It's very poorly designed and it actually caused a crash of my last one. The main gear goes through the center of the fuse and turns into the ribs. Well, it bent and I straightened it. On the next take off, the gear wire turned and it jammed into the bellcrank. I was flying over asphalt and it bit the dust. Powered by two Enay .09's, I will say I'm not overly impressed by them. They start easy but they're quite timid for power and they're heavy. I truly love the exhaust blowing into my face when I'm setting the needle. The Sterling kit needs lots of attention due to multiple design issues.

Bob Inspired P38 Dscn3031

Bob Inspired P38 Dscn3032
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:48 pm

Aaahhh...Twins! I'm smitten.

Yabby...see this paint job. Put your name under the model:
Bob Inspired P38 4a63b910

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:11 pm

If I did anything right on my P-38, it was the landing gear Ken.  Solid as a rock and sustained many a hard landing.  50+ years old now, and were I able it could take to the air tomorrow. It was not fast, couldn't do a loop, but I love it.

Bob Inspired P38 P-38_o18
Bob Inspired P38 P-38_o19
Bob Inspired P38 P-38_o17

Great Idea Jim.  YABBY would look great under there.  Yippee was the 5000th P-38 built.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:39 am

Twins Twins !! You are knocking it out in a hurry Yabby Smile
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:49 am

all white. just paint the tips red... and would absolutely look like old Lefty Gardners P-38 -- before his family sold it to RedBull and now it looks like every other RedBull liveried paint job - polished and logos

https://p38assn.org/white-light.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XYQln3sQOU

redbull (who, to be fair, saved the plane after a crash, and kept it flying)
https://www.flyingbulls.at/en/fleet/lockheed-p-38-lightning

cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:57 pm

Thanks for all the feedback! gave me a good laugh with my breakfast this morning. :-) Ken I really like your description of your P38 experience. cheers Maybe they look better than they Fly. sunny I really like the builds yourself and Bob did of your P38s!! They look great. I especially like the enclosed engines on Bobs plane and the finish on both is excellent!!!

Jim you actually made me properly laugh out loud with the idea of putting YABBY across the bottom and the photo you attached. lol!

Hey cstatman i think I will take your advice and add some red to the wing tips cos it looks like a ghost plane or something not right like it is. what I had imagined and the result were very very different. That is one of my build problems. Lol. HaHa. I am genuinely diagnosed as very dyslexic and it shows up not only in my difficulty with letters and numbers but also with what might look good. Plus lets face it my construction isnt exactly refined!!! lol! I had half expected Ken to give me a serve about all the glue piled up everywhere and such as I know he is very fastidious about his builds and as proven by the photos attached. Same with Bob's P38. Awesome looking Planes!!!.

Hey Getback, its taken me a whole week to build it to this point!. Thats a very long build for me! And it doesnt have wheels on it yet, and the controls arent on it either. I have built two surestarts from my new parts spares bins (which my missus hates as she just sees money in the bins, but I see brand new parts and when Im doing a project like this I can carefully assemble brand new engines, and run them in properly together and make them as similar as possible). the engines are nearly run in, so Im going to have to do the wheels soon. Hmmmm the wheels. That part is stressing me. Lol.

I havent decided what to do about the fuel tank(s) yet, I think I know what the general advice would be, but Im a bit of a learn the hard way type :-) and I can always go to two tanks, but Im thinking a single 3/4 ounce tank with a splitter will do the job. A friend I sometimes fly with has been telling me all about the physics of it all, and I do get it, but sometimes I just reckon its over rated. I will find out and can always change if needed.

It was good when I saw the kind comment from David first up, as I was a bit worried about putting up a picture of my build that people might rip into it as its very much a roughie. Lol. Maybe I will learn and improve my build quality. Though not likely after 60 years. HaHaHa

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!!! I dont have a club to fly with and mainly just fly with my Lad, so its nice to post my build and get thoughts, experiences, interaction with people like I would I guess if I was able to fly at a club! I Love This Forum!

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down