Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Wen Mac Dauntless so far

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Empty Re: Wen Mac Dauntless so far

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:10 am

I tried to fly the event. I absolutely hated it. My plane hangs in the basement. I might have to give that one a Viking funeral. Personally, watching paint dry would be more fun. I was flying the sportsman event which is basically a entry level version, I probably would've enjoyed the other class where high power was in order and high speed. The planes fly terrible, they flounder around and they hardly represent the real deal. You fly the plane with the nose at a high angle and then flop it down onto the deck. It seemed very unrealistic. I would rather see a planned low speed glide onto the deck with precision and smoothness which was never the situation.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:13 pm

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:19 pm

Potato chips, you can't stop at just one.

This one in much better condition with the bomb.  ebay with the correct propeller.

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 2nd_da10

Love the stick.

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 2nd_da12

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 2nd_da11

Or two.  Forgot this one. ebay

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Frank_11
Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Frank_10
Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Frank_12
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:27 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Potato chips, you can't stop at just one.

This one in much better condition with the bomb.  ebay with the correct propeller.

Strange.  Looks like an Anderson Spitzy/Baby Spitfire head!!!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:34 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:

Eagle eye Rod. I never noticed it. Yes, strange. Tool marks too. I must have close to a dozen of these engines. Will check when I get it.

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Daunt_10

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:59 am

Interesting, I would have never guessed the offset engine set high in the cowl non-scale, so it gets better cooling stuck out in the breeze. Overheating a glow engine is never a good thing. Another battle proven warrior, no doubt. At first I thought the second model might be a pristine copy of a different batch molded in darker blue, until I read the box labels. It is an exact scale static model.

I am used to the black smaller diameter 3-blade wider pitched but blunt flat tipped nylon propeller on later the Testors / Wen-Mac aircraft like my brother's all chrome but simpler 1966 F4U Corsair. (It had an uncovered bottom exposing the internals, including the bottom side of the engine.)

Makes me wonder if the tool marks on the head were the result of a glow plug installed too tight, resulting in head being unscrewed instead. Without the right spanner, combination pliers were used. Or, there was a concern with breaking the engine mount posts from the torque. As factory mounted, it would not take much to break the engine free from the airframe.

Without the original pilot to question, it is all speculation. Tired w/ Coffee Read Popcorn

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected logical error.)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:05 am

rsv1cox wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:

Eagle eye Rod.  I never noticed it.  Yes, strange.  Tool marks too.  I must have close to a dozen of these engines.  Will check when I get it.  

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Daunt_10

No, no.   My mistake.  I saw the first picture as showing a later Testors type cylinder, meaning tha aluminium head was just screwed in the top of the cylinder, but being early Wen Mac is has the cylinder muff, not just a head.  
My eyes ain't what they used to be. Old Bugger
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:15 pm

Bob, can you post a photo of the left front side of your renovated Dauntless? I know that it is probably not the best side of the aircraft, but seeing the remarkable job that you did on all the other sides shown, I imagine that although not perfect, it probably looks much, much better than with what you started with.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:45 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Bob, can you post a photo of the left front side of your renovated Dauntless? I know that it is probably not the best side of the aircraft, but seeing the remarkable job that you did on all the other sides shown, I imagine that although not perfect, it probably looks much, much better than with what you started with.

Hi George,  That side had the exit hole in it for the fuel line, I filled it with plastic balsa cement.

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 P1012762

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 P1012760
Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 P1012761

I'm still debating whether or not to paint it.  Probably will as I have a better example coming.

Anyone agree? Balloon pressure capsule laying on the nasty part of the wing?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:21 pm

Thanks, Bob, good work, it cleaned up quite well considering what you had to work with. Regarding painting, I'd rather not volunteer much as I know it is your call. Looking at some other photos, appears they may have molded the fuselage top with a darker blue, but I could be wrong. Could be possibly painted in stages accorded to personal satisfaction. But whatever you do, I am sure that it will appear after finish to be the genuine article or so close it is hard to tell it apart.

Out of curiosity, I did a search on both Hip Pocket Aeronautics and Outerzone. One could build a CL version based on the outlines of the 20" Comet rubber powered Dauntless. Outerzone has an interesting 30" free flight profile version with .020 Pee Wee power:

Outerzone Plan# oz8172: SBD Dauntless by Paul Schaaf, Apr. 1972 American Aircraft Modeler

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 8172

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 8172

That wouldn't be hard to imitate in modern foamboard using a KFm wing airfoil and lightweight RC.

Here's an interesting short story on the deadly effectiveness of the Douglas SBD Dauntless:

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:21 pm

Fantastic video George, I saved it.  Thanks

I got the Franklin Mint Dauntless today. 1/48 scale but the detail is wonderful.  Side by side with the Wen Mac Dauntless shows how out of scale the W/M is, but it's meant to fly where the smaller one isn't.  Seems like all the W/M models have an elongated nose.  

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 P1012786
Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 P1012787
Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 P1012789
Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 P1012788
Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 P1012790

It's wall worthy but I don't know where to put it.  High between the hollow log Cyclone and the green P-51 I guess.

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 P1012791

There is one on ebay right now with New Zealand markings , couple of hours left that I was outbid on.  Leaving it for Dave in NZ.  Smile

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284709115090

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Nz_dau10

These are heavier than the W/M Dauntless.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:04 am

Thanks, Bob. Yes, I remember a slogan on kits 50 years ago, they called it "Flying Scale", which was used to denote deviations to a model in such a manner that it would fly successfully by most builders, if kit instructions and normal hobbyist practices were exercised. Guillow kits use "Authentic Flying Scale", which means that their changes, which they also did, for example, tail surfaces were closer to scale than some of the others but enlarged slightly, unlike your excellent example, the restored RTF Dauntless, which deviated more. At least Scientific's "stand way off scale" hollow log and built-up kits, and ditto with Sterling Beginner profile series, they did not mention "scale".

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Comet_10

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Sterli10

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Scient13

The Japanese were modest in not mentioning any scale declaration on their kits and plans.

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 C-177_10
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:18 pm

Nice set of kits George. Your's or gleaned on-line? I gave away my Guillow's Hellcat (or was it Wildcat) kit last year. Went looking for it before I remembered, thought about building it when we were discussing the pair.

The second Wen Mac Dauntless arrived this evening. Looks professionally packed by FedEx, enough bubbles to float a battleship which protected it well.

Much better condition than my first, bomb and correct propeller and the engine is free and the starter works. Missing the machine guns but I know they are laying in the bottom of the fuselage.

Answers my question about the bomb release. Third line pulls out the pin releasing the bomb.

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 P1012799
Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 P1012801
Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 P1012800

Other than an external cleaning I won't have to do a thing to it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:37 pm

Congrats on finally obtaining a very clean Dauntless specimen, Bob. Yes, I can see with a little clean up, it will really shine. That bomb drop feature is very interesting, I didn't know it came that that. I thought the 3rd line might have been for an optional throttle control.

As far as my kit photos, yes, they are all mine except for the Scientific Wildcat. It is one that I have always wanted to build, but I have yet to have found any plans for it. Back around 1971, I made my own profile half-A Wildcat from scaled up 3 views. I mounted a salvaged postage stamp engine, made my own sheet metal mount to fasten it to the profile fuselage.

I could clone one based on the photo and the Hellcat kit with clear top and built up fuselage. Scientific borrowed from other kits common assemblies to be shared with others. This is why the wing looks similar to the Hellcat, P-51 Sizzlin' Liz, P-40, and etc. They just changed the wing tips to suit.

Even the Cowl on the Wildcat was shared with others. I remember this cowl on my Hellcat, perfectly round. Aerowerkes did an excellent job on cloning the kit, but the cowl they used was slightly different, more narrow, firewall is oval in shape. However, Scientific was known to make minor changes midstream to kits that caused them to differ from kit photos. The idea was to produce a reasonable kit at the lowest unit cost, so people would grab them up. Simplification helps to reduce mass production costs.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  jmendoza Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:27 pm

I have used denatured alcohol to remove old rubber band dried residues and stains from the styrene plastic fuselages of Cox and Wen-Mac models, works great and does no have the noxious smell that carb cleaned has.

For gluing the plastic, although Testors will work, for maximum strength, I use acrylic monomer, or Methylene Chloride . These are not glues in the normal sense but rather they are plastic solvents that chemically melt and fuse/weld the plastic together.

The old square metal tanks made by Perfect work well to replace the original crumbling plastic one. . I re-arrange the brass vent tubes to match the old ones in the fuselage and mount the new tank where the old one was. Often, you can remove the plastic tank bottom and fit the metal tank inside it.

Plastex markets and sells a plastic repair kit the works well on most polystyrene RTF models. It also includes a cube of special material what you put in hot water to soften, and it can them be formed over a part to make a mold to use for replicating missing and broken sections. Plastex makes the solvent, and three different types of plastic powder ( white, clear, and fiber-reinforced black) that can be used as a filler or to duplicate parts using the mold material.
jmendoza
jmendoza
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:28 pm

Thanks Jim, I have denatured alcohol but forgot to use it, used 91% instead to clean off what was left after scraping. Did a pretty good job, but nothing was going to get out the Stains which went deep into the plastic.

The PO of my Wen Mac P-26 did exactly that. Used a Perfect tank to replace the plastic tank which probably just had a broken off nipple. He did a terrible job leaving a gaping hole in the bottom/side of the fuselage.

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Dscn1744
Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Dscn1745

I couldn't improve on it so I just repaired the damage and stuck it back in.

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Dscn1746
Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Dscn1747
Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 Dscn1822

Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 P1012805
Wen Mac Dauntless so far - Page 2 P1012806

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter