Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A couple of things, and a story Cox_ba12

A couple of things, and a story Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A couple of things, and a story Empty
Live on Patrol

A couple of things, and a story

Go down

A couple of things, and a story Empty A couple of things, and a story

Post  rsv1cox Mon May 16, 2022 5:11 pm

Kavan's fuel tank extender, and Bernie has Prop Rod/Shrike front tires.

Many years ago, I was coming down from the loft when I noticed at the bottom of the stairs a red ring. I picked it up and looked at it and thought What? I set it on a window sill. I looked at it for a couple of weeks wondering what it was, not knowing I threw it away. The next week I got on this forum, and wouldn't you know there was a post about a Cox engine fuel extender with pictures.

Putting two and two together (and usually coming up with five) I remembered that I had bought a bunch of Cox engine parts and that red ring must have dropped out of the package as I climbed the stairs. Upset with myself for throwing it away I vowed I would find another. That happened last week when I found this on ebay.

A couple of things, and a story P1013222
A couple of things, and a story P1013224
A couple of things, and a story P1013223

Got it a couple of days ago and when taking it apart I noticed the case screws were different, only threaded on the end. I guess Kavan supplied the screws along with the ring. Reviews were mixed. Seems the original rings were aluminum and didn't leak while the plastic rings tended to.

Then while looking at my newly acquired $20 Prop rod I discovered that the front tires were severely misshapen. Looked all over the net only to find that Bernie stocks them. Two on the way.

A couple of things, and a story P1013226
A couple of things, and a story P1013225

The Toy Story sign along with a rolled sheet of lead were inside the Prop Rod when I took it apart. Dumped the lead, glued the sign in the pan.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A couple of things, and a story Empty Re: A couple of things, and a story

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon May 16, 2022 7:18 pm

Now that you reminded me, I have one of those Kavan red plastic ring kits for 8cc tank. Forgot all about it, was intending it for my Golden Bee. Yes, it comes with screws.

Didn't know about the leak potential, good to know.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue May 17, 2022 3:08 am

Bob, I see something in your picture. The leather handled Estwing 16 oz. That's my finish hammer I use. My sister bought it for me 40 years ago and I use it every day practically. If I showed it to her, she wouldn't even remember probably. I see the sticker on yours while not very legible, it's still there. The clear coat is still there to a degree on the handle. Even the factory pain is still on the underside of the claws. They're indeed a good looking tool.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue May 17, 2022 6:57 am

That's my "inside" hammer Ken, bought at Sears many years ago. It has a nice balanced "swing" to it that I like.

I used it (picture above) along with the torch to beat that wheel off the viced axle using the adjustable wrench as an enclosed buffer (about the only thing it's good for). I keep it in the basement workshop next to another special hammer that came from my wife's uncle. Little tapping hammer, so valuable for me.

A couple of things, and a story P1013227
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue May 17, 2022 10:13 am

Yes, Kavan supplied the correct screws with the kit. Size like 2-56 is pretty much unobtainium here in Europe, or was before internet anyway.

Those screws are, if my memory serves, just slightly longer than original Cox stunt tank screws, but I think the originals would work at least on display purposes.

This kit was very common in Finland for some reason. On the other hand, Golden Bees are hard to come by. Kavan used to import and market Cox stuff in Europe, maybe that has something to do with it.

Here’s a pic of my collection from 2015, at some point I had more Babe Bees with the kit than without Very Happy

A couple of things, and a story A15e1310

...and my very first Engine of the Month winner (May 2015 I think):

A couple of things, and a story 5796d410
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue May 17, 2022 12:47 pm

KariFS wrote:Yes, Kavan supplied the correct screws with the kit. Size like 2-56 is pretty much unobtainium here in Europe, or was before internet anyway.

Those screws are, if my memory serves, just slightly longer than original Cox stunt tank screws, but I think the originals would work at least on display purposes.

This kit was very common in Finland for some reason. On the other hand, Golden Bees are hard to come by. Kavan used to import and market Cox stuff in Europe, maybe that has something to do with it.

Here’s a pic of my collection from 2015, at some point I had more Babe Bees with the kit than without Very Happy

...and my very first Engine of the Month winner (May 2015 I think):

No wonder I had such a hard time finding one, they shipped them all to Finland. Nice assortment there. Love your winning picture. Maybe I can emulate. Smile

BTW, welcome to the N train...............Finland should sleep better at night.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue May 17, 2022 1:56 pm

I bought my kit for the Cox 8cc tank engine some time back, can't recall the source. But it was a US importer of Kavan products. With it I also bought a Kavan muffler with proper adapter for my Enya .35-V TV, may be 30 years ago. The Kavan muffler is genously chambered, definitely not power robbing. Has a blanking off plate for quieter running, or allow air flow though, more noisy.

This was at a time modelers were trying to comply with noise standards, when mufflers were an optional accessory.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue May 17, 2022 2:02 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

Thanks Bob, glad to be (almost) aboard Smile Somebody needs to have a chat (or talk Turkey) with Erdogan, but otherwise it looks like smooth progress from now on.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue May 17, 2022 3:45 pm

KariFS wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:

Thanks Bob, glad to be (almost) aboard Smile Somebody needs to have a chat (or talk Turkey) with Erdogan, but otherwise it looks like smooth progress from now on.

"You never trust a man in a dress...nor a woman in skin-tight blue jeans..."...(Blues No. 5 of Jay Johnson band) I hope  Kari that putin's pledge to your President,  that "we do not threaten you" was really meant by this s..thead...and yes, welcome to the N-train..we Hungary have been sitting on board since 1999 ...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue May 17, 2022 5:50 pm

I have the original Kavan aluminum version. The venturi extender inside is also aluminum. The interesting thing is the screws. The screws are welded together. They lengthened a shoulder screw with threaded rod and welded them together. They were then ground. Functional, just not very attractive appearance wise. Not that you would ever see them due to them being inside the tank.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue May 17, 2022 6:06 pm

The interesting thing is the screws. The screws are welded together.

That sounds pretty labor intensive Ken. They must have been quite expensive. You have quite a novelty there.

I have not had the time to investigate mine yet, but I can see from the one machine screw that I removed that it's probably quite corroded in there. I have one other early Babe Bee with that style flat head so unlike the normal Cox case screws. I can't remember if I took it apart, will have to dig it out to see but it must be completely threaded.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down