Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Super Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!! Cox_ba12

Super Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 6:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Super Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!! Empty
Live on Patrol

Super Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!!

Go down

Super Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!! Empty Super Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!!

Post  Woody Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:15 pm

Well somethings go badly and others go well.
I was in the electronics store yesterday and saw just what I needed to make a decent battery box.
I had played around taping two batts together and soldering leads to them but it all looked a bit gash.
Also tried converting a two D cell battery holder but that proved to be a pain.
Came across two single D cell holders with leadouts, Banana plug sockets withSuper Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!! Img_2101
Super Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!! Img_2100
plugs and a box.
So here is the result.
Everything just went to plan and finished and tested within the hour.
Isnt life great when things go well?
Woody.
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Super Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!! Empty Re: Super Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!!

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:01 pm

Woody, I mentioned this on here some years back. One of my flying buddies made something very similar to what you built there. His starter battery had 4 D cells.   On the ride home one evening , something shorted across the jack outlets and it ended up catching fire. Not only did it do extensive damage to the car, it also burned his hand seriously. Seeing how you have both terminals exposing metal on the top of your box reminded me exactly what he had. From that point on, I use a fusible link for all of my starter batteries.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Super Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!! Empty Re: Super Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!!

Post  Woody Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:36 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Woody, I mentioned this on here some years back. One of my flying buddies made something very similar to what you built there. His starter battery had 4 D cells.   On the ride home one evening , something shorted across the jack outlets and it ended up catching fire. Not only did it do extensive damage to the car, it also burned his hand seriously. Seeing how you have both terminals exposing metal on the top of your box reminded me exactly what he had. From that point on, I use a fusible link for all of my starter batteries.
Crickey Ken!
Thanks for pointing that out!
I was quite chuffed with it till you wrote that!
I am very grateful for your advice.
I will do something about it.
Okay ....My description was a lie .
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:44 pm

Woody wrote:..........
I was quite chuffed with it till you wrote that!
Okay ....My description was a lie.

Quite the contrary -- your box looks great!  Here's a couple of options to consider that have recessed metal parts:

Digikey - Keystone Electronics

Digikey - Cinch Connectivity

Red shown, but black is available as are different tab types. Where I live, this type of inventory is non-existent, but these jacks, as you well know, may be found all over the interweb.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:15 am

Another option would be to install a 5-10A fuse to the circuit. There's plenty of room inside the box for an inline fuse holder. Might be good to sacrifice one or two fuses to see that it won't blow when you use it, but on the other hand, blows when shorted.

Nice setup by the way Beer Cheers
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:05 pm

It's a good idea but to avoid a short circuit having something on the batteries Because the only thing that protects the negative from the batteries is the little plastic envelope on it If it moves it could come into contact with the positive terminal possibly I should make myself a new pack mine is very used
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Woody Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:20 am

davidll1984 wrote:It's a good idea but to avoid a short circuit having something on the batteries Because the only thing that protects the negative from the batteries is the little plastic envelope on it If it moves it could come into contact with the positive terminal possibly I should make myself a new pack mine is very used

I am not sure what you mead David?
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:18 am

What I want to explain is that now the batteries have an envelope made of metal And that the negative terminal is on the whole surface Super Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!! 16552112
And if the pack moves inside it could come into contact with the positive terminal with the negative on the outside and only the plastic film with the name number of c and voltage which protects from a short circuit I prefer to use a small pack that can be inserted into the sleeve of a long-sleeved vest Over time I learned that the glow plug clip tends to be short-circuited So I got a little piece of foam That I put on the end Super Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!! 16552113
Ok it's very ugly but functional space-saving never forget behind never short circuit
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:39 am

Hi David, steel case of a battery is positive, not negative.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:35 am

Levent Suberk wrote:Hi David, steel case of a battery is positive, not negative.

Depends on the type of battery!!
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:52 am

gkamysz wrote:
Levent Suberk wrote:Hi David, steel case of a battery is positive, not negative.

Depends on the type of battery!!

Alkaline battery:

https://www.micropower-battery.com/how-does-an-alkaline-battery-work/
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:26 am

Very good point David! I didn’t think of that.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:44 pm

Conventional batteries are less dangerous compared to the new lithium ion which is manufactured in a very similar way to nicd But with much more power to ignite wires or cause serious injury And frankly often the plastic wrapping around it is very thin, easy to puncture or tear And yes it is possible to have one or the other with positive or negative expose inside the battery envelope It depends on the manufacturer I remember a particularly strong battery model the pannasonic evolta was my favorite now impossible to find Sad Doh! It was the cheapest and yet the best battery that I had ever used. Mad It's always the same thing when I find something super good it becomes impossible to find One of the only thing that remains that I can have new without problem a good old COX engine is for one of these reasons that I like this brand This Site Rocks! Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 cheers
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Woody Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:27 pm

davidll1984 wrote:What I want to explain is that now the batteries have an envelope made of metal And that the negative terminal is on the whole surface Super Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!! 16552112
And if the pack moves inside it could come into contact with the positive terminal with the negative on the outside and only the plastic film with the name number of c and voltage which protects from a short circuit I prefer to use a small pack that can be inserted into the sleeve of a long-sleeved vest Over time I learned that the glow plug clip tends to be short-circuited  So I got a little piece of foam  That I put on the end Super Deluxe Turbo GTI Cox Battery Box !!! 16552113
Ok it's very ugly but functional space-saving never forget behind never short circuit
Thanks David for explaining that.
The battery holders cannot move as they are glued to the base of the grey box housing.
The terminals can be swapped over for insulated ones.
The whole was intended to be as simple as possible yet sturdy and the batteries easily replaced.
I will just be careful in the interim.
Woody.
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down