Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Question for the pedantic engine collectors here  Cox_ba12

Question for the pedantic engine collectors here  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» TD 09 Ducted Fan
by getback Yesterday at 8:41 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Question for the pedantic engine collectors here  Empty
Live on Patrol

Question for the pedantic engine collectors here

Go down

Happy Question for the pedantic engine collectors here

Post  cmulder Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:33 pm

Do you count only the completed engines as part of your engine numbers or also how many more you could assamble from the parts pile?

Reason for asking is that i just recalled that when estes dumped the sure start engines for cheap (8 usd ish if i recall it correctly) i got 10 of them.
Back then they where stripped as parts source but since 2 have been rebuild/ ran/ broken in.
So should i include the other 8 as engines  in my collection stats or not?

Babe Bee .049
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Happy Re: Question for the pedantic engine collectors here

Post  rsv1cox Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:21 pm

See here:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t15447-what-is-your-cylinder-index-jason-ian?highlight=cylinder+index

Seems to be no hard and fast rules.  Some include their vehicle cylinders, hey, a V8 counts for eight.  

I counted mine some time ago, blew past 600.  Still a small time guy compared with many here.

Question for the pedantic engine collectors here  My_cyl10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:55 pm

My count, and take on this subject:

If a hobby engine runs, it counts (ie: any prop-spinner that requires only no more than NVA clean-out, plug replacement). Even with this example, I stopped counting as I continued collecting.

If as a piece of a larger machine, but non-running for some light work, it counts. Example: the 1965 Honda S-90 that requires installation of wiring harness and engine....both sitting next to the bike. I never counted the spare engine.

The totalled 1971 Triumph TR6 waiting on frame selection and tub repairs doesn't count despite 3 running engines between the rolled body, the engine test stand, and the ground-mounted, but running engines.(shoot, there is another 18!)

I never counted the lawnmower engines even though the rider mower bears an oversized engine I grafted in (21 hp single replaced by 22 hp twin). Nor did I count the chainsaws or the weed wacker I maintain/use...who cares about those?

BTW...The Piston Police slip into your house and hobby room/garage in the middle of the night while you sleep. If you are caught lying, it appears on the CEF blotter report, and you get banned until you come into compliance.

Pictures go a long way to validating your numbers...this saves on glow-fuel required for the Piston Police to check on you!

In short, if you maintain it to the point that it runs with little effort, and it is worth bragging about sharing, it counts. Show and tell is the best answer...count while telling.

Last edited by 944_Jim on Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:51 am

O.K.
Since we are comparing engine collections, I have been going thru all of my model plane engines.
From Cox, to McCoy, Fox, O.S., PAW, Super Tiger, Webra, to my Enyas.

Since the pandemic I have been going completely my collection of Enya engines.
Getting mufflers, throttle valves, new boxes to replace the boxes here I threw them out, so all of my Enyas have a place for storage.
Also, cleaning and freeing up the gummed-up engines and carefully storing them away correctly.

Included with the engines are the sales receipts I always kept with all of my engines so I know what I paid for them and gives me a base line as to what I would sell them for if used or still new in the box.

Over time some of the receipts have started to fade but still readable. That got me to thinking to sort through my Enyas and get then into a spread sheet.

Anyway, here is most of the spread sheet --- I did a screen shot of the most important part of it.
The total cost of each individual engine size, the quantity of engines in that size, and average cost of them in that size.
Then the final quantities of engine cost total, engine totals, and average cost of all the engines.

By the way, I have at least (almost) one engine of each that Enya has made over the years.

Question for the pedantic engine collectors here  Enya_c11

I should have done this with the other engines from the start.
I will, but I'll have to now dig them back out and make a data sheet for them loke the Enya sheet.

I know I have somewhere of around one thousand engines total?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:25 pm

Huh... i may have To start the counting them and make list with price i pay for each of them And then if I even count the cars a 4 cylinder counts as 4 cylinder in the index so m'y last engine purchase count as 10 more on m'y profile it say rb26 or Somting its just m'y skyline r32 engine lol lol! I wil update wit the true number And then adjust once a year according to the number of new engines purchased and take a picturs of the new non instaled engine in m'y displays wil count the number of plane vs cars vs boat Because if I continue I will have a small fleet of boats as i start loving boat more and more those 3 is the last engine i have buy and recived one the boat is used engine but the k&b and the new cox stil in box un use very soon i wil chare picturs of one of m'y latest purchase this week as soon i recived it its a little spécial 4 cycle engine is al i can say Clapping
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:40 am

I haven't counted mine in a while, pretty sure the number is less than 100. Mostly Cox, maybe 20 others. I have sold or traded some of my non-Cox engines lately, and I am only keeping the most interesting or usable ones (PAW, G-Mark, some Enyas, an O.S).

I only count complete engines, plus "project engines", that are reasonably complete and only need a clean-up. They may miss a glowhead, a needle valve, a screw or something, that is easy to replace. Parts engines are not counted, nor are the parts in the pile. Usually there is a reason why an engine has ended up there, i.e. a critical and/or unobtainable part is terminally damaged or missing.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:18 am

I only have counted the engines that are ready to run.
Unstuck, clean, no problem engines.

I'm not even going into how much it cost to get the replacement parts for them to getting them back in to "good" condition.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down