Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Cox_ba12

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Empty
Live on Patrol

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022)

Go down

Choose the next engine of the month!

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_lcap4%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_lcap4%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_lcap11%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 3 ]
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_lcap7%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 2 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_lcap15%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 4 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_lcap11%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 3 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_lcap22%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 6 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_lcap15%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 4 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_lcap7%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 27

Poll closed

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Empty **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022)

Post  Admin Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:53 am

Vote on your favorite engine! Poll will run for 5 days! Pumpkin

Open to active members (30 posts or more).

picture not loading, contact the admin if you can read this text

"Cox Sportsman .15 RC Prototype"

"Tee Dee .010 r/c IN ACTION!"

"Cox TD .010"

"My most prized Cox engine in my collection: The Cox RR-1 Bought it at a Swap meet when I was out in California back in 1980 at a U-control contest (I was 21 yrs. old then)"

"Mosquito buzz"

"PeeWee .020 RC w/ Heli Backplate"

"Cox .051 kustom Marine"

"B.A.W. (Batjac AeroWerkes) Inline Twin .049."

"Modified Killer Buzzer"

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Empty Re: **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022)

Post  davidll1984 Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:58 am

Vote on your favorite engine! Pumpkin Leaves
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Empty Re: **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022)

Post  balogh Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:14 am

Amazing stuff this month, someone please help me chose the best! This Site Rocks!
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:11 am

Well i had to roll the Dice on this one , one dice one number , two dice same number that was difft. Small Cox Logo Very Happy Small Cox Logo VOTE VOTE HECK DON'T COST MUCH Laughing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:00 pm

Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:43 pm

VOTE!

Poll ends soon, so get your vote in.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:02 am

Clapping Congratulations to Basswood and his "Cox .051 Kustom Marine"! cheers

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) 8_bass10

Top quality pictures this month! Beer Cheers

I'll have the picture up shortly. RC Plane Pumpkin

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:45 am

WTG BASSWOOD!

Is this going to be a runner in a outrigger hydro or a mono hull?

Pumpkin Small Cox Logo Pumpkin Thumbs Up
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:14 am

Top Engine Basswood cheers cheers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:37 am

BEUTIFUL ENGINE basswood !! Congrats on the win !! cheers cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:10 am

Congrats, @Basswood for the fine work on that engine and neat photo shot to display it. Thumbs Up Also you something not often seen these days on a Cox, the infamous Tatone Cox Calumet cast muffler. I have their other one, which extends straight out, but not the Calumet.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:27 am

CONGRATS BASSWOOD !!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Basswood Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:33 am

Hi all,
Thanks for your votes and the win. cheers
Can’t wait to fire it up for a full break in. I’m still moving shims and head gaskets around trying to get it dialed in on compression and stroke. I do have the straight tatone muffler also on another engine. I like their mufflers, they work great but hard to find. There is a lot of cool stuff in it you can’t see from the outside. Killer Bee crank, shims, etc. I will put up more photo’s if you want, I had a lot of fun building it. its going into a prototype Rigger boat I’m also working on. Made Of birch,basswood and plywood.
I also want to thank Matt and his wife at Ex Model Engines for some of the parts and great service, also thanks to Bernie and his family at Cox International, great people there too.

Take care out there
Basswood
Aka Bob and Carol
Basswood
Basswood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:45 am

WHAT A WINNER!!
CoolCombination
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:07 pm

Beautiful engine…. I bet it’s a runner too! Congratulations!!
rdw777
rdw777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:48 pm

Basswood wrote:Can’t wait to fire it up for a full break in. I’m still moving shims and head gaskets around trying to get it dialed in on compression and stroke. Killer Bee crank, shims, etc. I will put up more photo’s if you want, I had a lot of fun building it. its going into a prototype Rigger boat I’m also working on. Made Of birch,basswood and plywood.
Bob, sounds like you're going to have a real blast with that engine, especially with the low drag type racing hull you plan for it. We all get excited when we see a build thread and running thread, to see your creation enter into its full glory in a run, by all means post photos and videos as you progress.

Basswood wrote:I do have the straight tatone muffler also on another engine. I like their mufflers, they work great but hard to find. There is a lot of cool stuff in it you can’t see from the outside.
I myself bought the straight outlet Tatone for my Babe Bee engine back in 1973, but it robbed a significant enough amount of power from it that the reduction in noise wasn't worth the loss in power. My Sterling Beginners 21-in. Fokker E-III Eindecker profile barely lumbered along.

However, my Babe Bee had SPI and no doubt the ignition mixture was being diluted by the recirculating exhaust gases. However, back then we did not have the newer non-SPI cylinders to use (unless I opted for the newer QZ cylinder/piston set, which was unknown to me at the time).
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Basswood Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:02 pm

GallopingGhoster
On mine .049, .051 and my .09 the Tatone muffler has/had the exhaust port blocked by half. A little flaps cast inside it by the factory. You can drill it out to a larger round hole and get better performance back but it is also twice as noisey.
Price you pay for performance.
This is my .09 before it was drilled.

Basswood Bob**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) Notes_10
Basswood
Basswood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:04 pm

Bob, I hope I don't bore you with my explanation.

That smaller orifice created by the little flashing inside the exhaust of the Tatone muffler did rob a little power. However, the SPI (sub-port induction, the air gap created by the piston skirt at full top dead center above the bottom of the cylinder exhaust port) was a technique used by Leroy Cox, to increase air-fuel density. That extra puff of fresh air coupled with needle tweaked to allow for more fuel to adjust for stoichiometric, provided greater power. This gave Cox an added advantage over their competitors, along with reduced costs by then modern mass machining methods, a jump over the competition.

Addition of a muffler did just the opposite. Spent exhaust gases then became the substitute for the normal "puff" of fresh air, diluting the fuel charge, further reducing power. Cox came up with a new, non-SPI cylinder piston set, so they could successful muffle the engine without a significant power loss. Result was the mid 1960's QZ engine, the forerunner piston/cylinder set for future muffled and unmuffled engines to include Sure Starts.

Sceptre Flight: Cox QZ, May 1967 Aeromodeller

Anyway, I've been fascinated by the history of Cox and developing muffled engines. I was very happy with my later 1970's Cox .049 R/C Bee, because Cox managed to provide an engine that was more powerful than an unmuffled Babe Bee that was also muffled but R/C to boot.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:11 pm

You will find that the QZ also used a high compression head from a Tee Dee to help compensate for power loss
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:07 am

Congratulations Basswood, beautiful photo!!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:54 am

Congrats Basswood, this is indeed a beautiful marine engine. The accessories by COX, Tarnot and Tatone make it a real rarity and show how versatile the COX engines are..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Basswood Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:29 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Bob, I hope I don't bore you with my explanation.

That smaller orifice created by the little flashing inside the exhaust of the Tatone muffler did rob a little power. However, the SPI (sub-port induction, the air gap created by the piston skirt at full top dead center above the bottom of the cylinder exhaust port) was a technique used by Leroy Cox, to increase air-fuel density. That extra puff of fresh air coupled with needle tweaked to allow for more fuel to adjust for stoichiometric, provided greater power. This gave Cox an added advantage over their competitors, along with reduced costs by then modern mass machining methods, a jump over the competition.

Addition of a muffler did just the opposite. Spent exhaust gases then became the substitute for the normal "puff" of fresh air, diluting the fuel charge, further reducing power. Cox came up with a new, non-SPI cylinder piston set, so they could successful muffle the engine without a significant power loss. Result was the mid 1960's QZ engine, the forerunner piston/cylinder set for future muffled and unmuffled engines to include Sure Starts.

Sceptre Flight: Cox QZ, May 1967 Aeromodeller

Anyway, I've been fascinated by the history of Cox and developing muffled engines. I was very happy with my later 1970's Cox .049 R/C Bee, because Cox managed to provide an engine that was more powerful than an unmuffled Babe Bee that was also muffled but R/C to boot.

Good to know I'm always looking to learn more about these little beasts.
I'm aware of the SPI that"s why I'm playing around with the shims under the cylinder and using the high compression head to compensate. I also have cox high compression glow plugs on some of my engines. these engines are a lot of fun to play around with. Thanks for the info.
Bob
Basswood
Basswood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Basswood Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:45 am

Here is the other side of the winning engine without the boat mount.

Bob
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2022) 20221010
Basswood
Basswood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down