Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What piece catches your eye the most? Cox_ba12

What piece catches your eye the most? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Today at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Today at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Today at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Today at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Today at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Today at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Today at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What piece catches your eye the most? Empty
Live on Patrol

What piece catches your eye the most?

Go down

What piece catches your eye the most? Empty What piece catches your eye the most?

Post  Admin Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:50 am

What piece catches your eye the most? Cox_pa10

Turkey Thanksgiving Dinner RC Plane

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

What piece catches your eye the most? Empty Re: What piece catches your eye the most?

Post  balogh Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:02 am

1. Looks like that is an early production  051 KB in the bottom right corner? Then it does catch my eyes. Though KB-s were built from slit exhaust cylinders, and the stepped wall cylinder on the photo dates back to the 70's when KB-s did not exist yet. So it may be a Frankenstein engine..

2. In addition, the exhaust deflector shield and exhaust throttle next to the KB, and the
3. red and blue and white postage stamp backplates...
4. also, the dual speed carb in the top ...that should work on  a TeeDeeo49 venturi too..but it could not be mounted on a rotary valve COX, only on reed engines with the 3D printed backplate made by Jason for RC carbs on reedies..

...are these up for sale?

Last edited by balogh on Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What piece catches your eye the most? Empty Re: What piece catches your eye the most?

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:34 am

That one:

What piece catches your eye the most? Screen63
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:34 am

Two visible identity markers for the Killer Bee would be the slit cylinder with one slit being wider. The other would be the yellow plastic Nyrod for the needle valve. The Killer Bee wouldn't have a intake screen either.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:12 am

The blue postage stamp catched my eye Very Happy Oh, and a two-needle setup for a Space Hopper!

I think the engine in question is a Golden Bee front combined with a red horseshoe backplate off a product engine. Looks like a narrow nose crankcase to me, and as far as I know, Killer Bee was always made with a new style case, plus a dual-slit, thick-wall cylinder (do correct me if I'm wrong).
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:47 am

Yeah, it's the rarely seen "Blue Backplate" in among a bunch of other goodies that catches my eye. Thanksgiving Dinner
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:56 am

It them Rings LOL I got a chainsaw i need to reup P.C.kit go the blue soo two speed also don't have one Turkey Thanksgiving Dinner Leaves
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:45 am

The cable ratchet starter, upper right.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pman1111 Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:50 pm

The Mccoy ? cylinder. Wink
pman1111
pman1111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:08 pm

I thought Mccoy myself. However, all of the Mccoy cylinders I currently have on my bench have a radius in the corners of the liner cutouts. I'm thinking K&B greenhead.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pman1111 Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:22 pm

Hmmm.... the cutouts look rounded to me, but I really DO need glasses! Huh... lol!
pman1111
pman1111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:23 pm

I am still not sure and wonder if these are up for sale?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:43 pm

balogh wrote:I am still not sure and wonder if these are up for sale?

I snatched this as a Buy It Now on eBay a few days ago. That's the photo from the eBay listing. The stuff came yesterday and I can take a better picture of the parts later tonight. Much of it is pretty well played with. There's parts there I'd never use, so if anyone sees anything they want, let me know.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:02 am

Jacob, I currently don't have a need for any of those parts, but because of life (health, wife's health, other volunteer activities, house and vehicle repairs, etc.) just am not as busy into modeling activities lately.

What I see is beyond Cox parts are OK Cub .049 heads, needles, and hodge-podge of other engine parts.
1 NOS OK glow plug in packaging. Good addition for a display collector.

Cox parts:
2 product horseshoe engines. One has a crash damaged back but still may be useful in a balsa model. Other, anodized gold crankcase seems to have possible performance possibilities and a good photo op potential for Cox Engine of the Month Contest.
2 complete postage stamp backs w/fine needles.
2 .049 mufflers w/o tops.
1 .049 cylinder w/piston, condition unknown but may match a throttle ring.
2 throttle rings.
1 exhaust deflector protector.
1 .049 snap starter spring.
1 dual speed NVA for early Cox .049 engine. I've seen occasionally a modeling switching valve that can be servo operates to switch between needles. Value would be someone needing such to complete an early engine.

There are other Cox parts, but above are the ones that caught my eye. The Cox .049 wrench can be de-rusted and shot with a light spray of glow fuel resisting silver paint for collecting or use.

As you allude to, those parts beyond your salvage may be valuable to the one lacking, also help defray your cost of obtaining.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:07 pm

that blue backplate

oh, and a wrench? ya know, ya just dont see any wrenches lately
(wrench comment is a joke, I think i have an entire shoebox full of em)
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:29 pm

cstatman wrote:that blue backplate

oh, and a wrench?  ya know, ya just dont see any wrenches lately  
(wrench comment is a joke, I think i have an entire shoebox full of em)

No joke to me. I jump on those closed ended Cox wrenches like a Buzzard on dead meat. It was the first thing that caught my eye. But yes, the blue plate special. I don't have one and if buying that would be what I would get.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:22 am

Hum Huh... the blue back plate mabe for the blue dragster !!!
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:57 pm

Here's some better pictures of the parts. This was an impulse buy after spotting that blue postage stamp backplate. The twin needle and the tall car muffler also sweetened the deal. The rest of the parts looked rough and they sure are.

What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7913

The red postage stamp is modified for some reason (thank God it wasn't the blue one). All have 128tpi needles and none look mangled so that's good. The red hole-less horseshoe is broken unfortunately. The golden bee case looks like new, missing the driveplate. The ground cylinder (for use with a throttle ring) is usable but the glow head hole is squished slightly oval from some pliers, doesn't stop a glow head from threading into it and sealing, but it gives some resistance when screwing it on. The piston moves up and down without issue. The middle cylinder is a #1 and is okay but it too has some pliers marks. The stepped cylinder, also a #1 has some damage that keeps the piston from moving through it smoothly. Not a burr like often the culprit from a wrench that slipped in the exhaust ports, but rather a small dent from a wrench applying pressure on the flat part of the exhaust port. There's some exhaust deflectors. Some Kavan tank extender screws. A bent reed, bent copper o-rings, and some ripped crankcase gaskets. A needle valve with bad damage to it's threads. A narrow neck crankcase assembly that someone used as a pusher or used an electric starter on as it has excessive end play. A couple of throttle rings and the springs that clip on the crankcase, those are always fun. Recoil parts. The recoil spring and cable are good. It's missing one pawl, but both springs are there (those two things just below the golden been crankshaft). I have a recoil start engine that was basically turned into parts because one of those pawl springs was bad, so I may need to get all those parts back together now that I have some replacement springs.

What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7911

One muffler missing the top ring.

The #1 stepped cylinder with the dent next to the exhaust port.

What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7924
What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7925

What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7912

Some misc. other engine parts.

What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7915

What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7916

OK Cub Fuel Tank & Engine Mount #658 for .049 and .074 engines (missing screws), and Radial Mounting Bracket #950 for a .099 Cub (missing one screw and nut, but it looks like the rest are there).

Here's some more pictures of that cylinder. Any idea what it's from? It has a piston stuck in it.

What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7919

What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7922

What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7918

What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7921

What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7917

I warmed it up in my hands for a bit then put some downward pressure on the piston with my thumb, and it pushed out slowly. Doesn't look damaged.

What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7923

Also the two heads that look to be identical:

What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7920

A closer look at the center of attention:

What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7927
What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7928
What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7926

It looks to have speckles and small dark swirls in the Delrin.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:27 pm

Admin wrote:Here's some more pictures of that cylinder. Any idea what it's from? It has a piston stuck in it.
What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7919
What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7922
What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7918

I warmed it up in my hands for a bit then put some downward pressure on the piston with my thumb, and it pushed out slowly. Doesn't look damaged.
The domed piston with tapered cross scavenge fence, cylinder's radiused intake bypass and quarter for sizing is a dead give away that it is a Testor .35 Red Head. I don't know of any other make of engine that has that feature. The K&B Torpedo .35 and Stallion have a different piston appearance, they are not domed but flat with a swept radius on the fence facing the exhaust port.

What piece catches your eye the most? Torped10
K&B .35 Green Head, piston top exposed

What piece catches your eye the most? 2018-010
K&B .35 Stallion Piston, top is flat

Another tell tale sign is the whacked dimple on the top of the piston dome. This is a technique to restore compression in a worn piston / cylinder fit. One carefully whacks the top with a flat edged drift, which expands the piston slightly, spreading the piston a touch.

The assembly must be well worn and someone may have been attempting to extend the life of the Red Head. Fact you had a little of a bugger sliding the piston out probably means it was run on 100% Castor oil fuel.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pman1111 Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:01 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Admin wrote:Here's some more pictures of that cylinder. Any idea what it's from? It has a piston stuck in it.

The domed piston with tapered cross scavenge fence, cylinder's radiused intake bypass and quarter for sizing is a dead give away that it is a Testor .35 Red Head. I don't know of any other make of engine that has that feature. The K&B Torpedo .35 and Stallion have a different piston appearance, they are not domed but flat with a swept radius on the fence facing the exhaust port.

K&B .35 Green Head, piston top exposed

K&B .35 Stallion Piston, top is flat

Another tell tale sign is the whacked dimple on the top of the piston dome. This is a technique to restore compression in a worn piston / cylinder fit. One carefully whacks the top with a flat edged drift, which expands the piston slightly, spreading the piston a touch.

The assembly must be well worn and someone may have been attempting to extend the life of the Red Head. Fact you had a little of a bugger sliding the piston out probably means it was run on 100% Castor oil fuel.

Maybe my eyes weren't as bad as i thought! Shocked
pman1111
pman1111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:05 pm

I was thinking the same thing, I have to go get my eyes checked now hahaha .
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:14 am

Admin wrote:What piece catches your eye the most? Img_7926

It looks to have speckles and small dark swirls in the Delrin.
It may be related to the instability of the blue dye used when exposed over time to light and heat.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down