Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox in Argentina Cox_ba12

Cox in Argentina Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Today at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Today at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Today at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Today at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Today at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Today at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Today at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox in Argentina Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox in Argentina

Go down

Cox in Argentina Empty Cox in Argentina

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:52 pm

Two years ago, I came across an Argentine magazine PDF archive from a special website in New Zealand. Now, I don't remember how I came across it, but was elated that it existed. Someone had scanned and stored there, many issues of the monthly magazine: 49 issues of El Piloto Lúpin, 22 issues of the related publication Pinlu (Historias e ideas prácticas - Stories and practical ideas, June 2007 to April 2009), and various technical supplements on model building and engine care, flying, electronics, astronomy, and etc. I had never seen these before. Since I have been learning Spanish for the past couple years, I was elated.

These publications from Buenos Aires, Argentina were geared toward the youth, mostly a form of comic book with various stories, but centered around technology, especially airplanes. It was distributed in various major cities throughout South, Central America and Mexico. I don't know if it ever made it to the United States and Canada.

Like nearly all our written modeling publications, it finally ceased, most likely due to declining sales. We have already seen that with our great US publications, Flying Models, American Aircraft Modeler, Radio Control Modeler, and etc. I gather that Europe too, has experienced similar. Just look at how all the great aircraft engine manufacturers we once had, K&B, Fox, Veco, OK, Holland, McCoy, Johnson, and Cox are all gone. What remains are remnants of these great manufacturers.

OK, on to Cox being promoted in our southernmost Latin American country, Argentina.

Pinlu 22nd issue shows on front, En el año cincuentenario de Lúpin - in the 50th anniversary year of Lúpin. (Pinlu is Lúpin - from English, Looping, backwards.) This means that the magazine series was in production from 1960 to 2009.

This time, one issue, caught my attention.
Cox in Argentina 2022-139
suplemento REVISTA LÚPIN, AEROMODELISMO - Supplement to Lúpin Magazine - Aeromodelling

In it, I found this article on Cox engines, especially the .049 Babe Bee. I have added engine part names in English, marked in blue. I have done a translation of the page's paragraphs. Initially I used a machine translator, then went over the text to clean it up. One thing I found is that Spanish uses more words to express the same thought in English. The upside of Spanish is that they have many different ways to express thoughts through verbal conjugations. In English, you have to know the context in which spoken, to understand the thought behind it. The machine translator (i.e., computer A.I.) is not perfect, although they have gotten better at it, so I look over the text at what I know, plus do dictionary checks, to try to convey what it is really saying. Also I have found out that the magazine writers aren't perfect in their writing either.

Muy bien, lo aquí está. Anyway OK, here it is:
Cox in Argentina 2022-140
Page 54 - El motorcito .049 - The Small Engine .049

Párrafo 1 - haga clic para mostrar:

Translation: This little engine, which is the favorite of those who are just starting out as well as veterans, is the best in its displacement, the COX BABE BEE .049 engine is easy to start, something very important for those who go from using rubber powered models and find yourself with a real miniature internal combustion engine, in reality there is no engine more suitable than this for small models, the magazine published some time ago how to start this type of engine and in this case everything will be done in a simpler way since the factory has achieved an improvement in this model so that a beginner can use it without having problems that are always annoying when we are in the airfield. The engine is suitable for both free flight, RC and UC models.

Párrafo 2 - haga clic para mostrar:

Translation: The propeller used should be in good condition, so we recommend carrying out an inspection every time we take it to fly. Never try to force one of the blades to modify its pitch, discard the propeller if one of its tips is chipped by a strike, the same if one of the blades has suffered modifications (by damage). It is best to use propellers approved for this tiny engine, 5 to 6 inch propellers with a 3" pitch are ideal. FIG. 1 shows an exploded view with all its parts, never try to remove the glow head or disassemble unless needed or if lacking sufficient experience. The tank's inside fuel pick up tubing shown in the drawing is for U-control flight. If we plan to carry out free flight, we must relocate it so that it reaches the bottom of the tank. If this little tubing in the wrong position, it will not be able to use the last of the fuel and the engine will stop much earlier than expected.

Párrafo 3 - haga clic para mostrar:

Translation: When we are done with its use, let it run until there is no fuel left in the tank, if we leave fuel it would lubricate the engine and exposure to air would make the parts stick, to lubricate it we use SAE-10 3 in 1 oil or sewing machine oil, then we will wrap it in a plastic bag to protect it from dirt.

The distributor of these engines is AERO-SUR, 166 Talcahuano Street, [Buenos Aires], as well as the entire COX line.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox in Argentina Empty Re: Cox in Argentina

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:58 am

The following are Cox ads from 1982, in the Lúpin82, 1982 Supplement Edition:
Cox in Argentina Lzpin810
From cover of the issue. Desde la portada de la revista.

In the middle this next page, Aviones armados con motor .049 para colocar equipo de R/C de 2 y 3 canales means "assembled airplanes with .049 engine for use with 2 and 3 channel R/C equipment". Being English speaking, one would think "armados" is related to war (like an armada of ships), but armador means "to assemble". (Well, in a way those Latin Romans (French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese came from Latin Wink ) would be correct, an armada is an "assembly" of ships.) Smile "Colocar" means "to place" (similar to English "colocate", but in this case it means "to use with".
Cox in Argentina Lzpin811
Cox ad, inside front cover. El anuncio de Cox, dentro la portada.
Cox in Argentina Lzpin812
Cox ad for the Piper Dakota, back cover. El anuncio de Cox para el avion Piper Dakota, la portada posterior.

I gather that Aero Sur (Aero South, and interestingly enough, they still seem to be in existence, although I believe it was @MauricioB who mentioned that they are now owned by another company - please correct me if I am wrong Very Happy ) is/was similar to America's Hobby Center 50 years ago. I remember modelers writing of visiting there, and at the time, a huge store with multi stories (floor levels) in downtown New York City, they had anything and everything, including built display models hanging from the ceiling.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:24 am

Lupin issues can be find here as pdf:

https://ahira.com.ar/revistas/lupin/

Cox in Argentina Screen64
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:53 pm

Thanks, Levent. Those issues from your link fortunately have what month and year each issue is. The one I came across 2 years ago, didn't.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:22 am

Hello friends, thanks for commenting on these things from Argentina.
A few months ago I shared this information here:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t12914-history-of-cox-in-argentina?highlight=history+cox+in+argentina

Wonderful years of our hobby around here..!!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:57 pm

@MauriciB, gracias para dame el enlace de la historia desde sus experiencias. Thank you for giving me the link to history for your experiences. Very Happy Thumbs Up

Today, I included the following video in the presentation slides (las diapositivas) for our bilingual Salvation Army Church (la Iglecia bilingüe del Éjercito de Salvación) here in Clovis. It was by the Iglesia Evangélica Misionera Argentina in 2016 (Evangelical Missionary Church in Argentina), used for the pre-service prelude (el preludio de música).

I particularly liked it because of their band and children choir (la banda de adoración y el coro de los niños). Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down