Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? Cox_ba12

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Irvine Mills .75 replica
by ffkiwi Today at 4:43 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:33 am

» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by balogh Today at 1:06 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by getback Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? Empty
Live on Patrol

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do?

Go down

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? Empty So, what do you do when there is nothing to do?

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:20 am

Hey look......I still have electricity. Maybe not for long though as the trees are doing the wind dance.

I am so caught up. Spent yesterday doing the things nercessary to cope with the upcoming weather event. I hate inactivity. There has seldom been a time when I didn't have a torn-down plastic or balsa airplane to work on, or an engine. But my RX-7 build has put a stop to that. But the RX is sitting in a 30 degree garage and I ain't goin' out there.

So to the basement it is, it's 65 down there but I'm still going to use a heater. Dug out an old unfinished Wen Mac P-36 and I'm set for a few hours.

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014800
So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014802
So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014801
So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014803
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? Empty Re: So, what do you do when there is nothing to do?

Post  rdw777 Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:23 am

First of all, Your work benches are too neat!!! LOL…. It’s 12F here so not moving around much either….. I’ve got that same little electric heater in the shop but not as well insulated as your basement…. Will see what that is like later….. Have fun but stay in touch with folks ….. Sun will come out again friend Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? Empty Re: So, what do you do when there is nothing to do?

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:26 am

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014804
So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014806
So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014805
So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014808
So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014807
So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014809
So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014811
So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014812
So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014810

A little rinky dink, but it works. I could add stand-off's but not really necessary as the three pull against one another. The little Channel Lock DC drill driver carrys bits internally and is great for this kind of light in-close work where a big drill would be difficult to use.

Same as I did on the other P-36. Only this one in much better condition. Only balsa is the tail assembly. The other one is mostly balsa.

Now to let silver dry and paint in a very close matching blue.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:24 pm

Bob, you certainly have a way of improvising to restore these, and without an expensive milling machine, lathe or 3D printing machine. (Not that I am faulting those who have access to such wonderful pieces of equipment and the skill to use them.)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:49 am

I been watching Bob for some time do his magic and am impressed at some of the Ideas he comes up with . I got a few fuses that need parts but not really worth putting the effort into , But could use some of his Ideas to fix up to fly unless i get attached to them lol! Rudolph Hope you didn't lose your power buddy and stay warm .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:27 am

Nice job on the cowlings Bob…. A neat idea for a part that would be near unobtainable otherwise….. Think about some faux cylinders and maybe a cooling vent….Hope you are weathering well….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:39 pm

That is a neat little screw gun there. And now a question about it. If you were to strip a screwdriver bit, are they replacable with off teh shelf standard bits? Or can you even possibly just use your own bits? I likey.....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:17 am

NEW222 wrote:That is a neat little screw gun there. And now a question about it. If you were to strip a screwdriver bit, are they replacable with off teh shelf standard bits? Or can you even possibly just use your own bits? I likey.....
I went to Channel Lock website, but their screwdriver web listings and their latest PDF catalog from 2020 does not show the product. It is advertised on E-Bay and Amazon, but not available on Lowes home improvement center, although they sell their hand tools.

I gather that the tool has been discontinued. When stocks are gone, they are gone. May be that is why they no longer list it in their catalog, wasn't a good seller. Interestingly though, it does appear it uses standard screwdriver bits, after examining their box photos.

https://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Fire-Quick-Power-Screwdriver/dp/B07KYVPNF1 - $20.00 US
So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? 81tjho10

One just pops the worn bit out of the plastic cartridge holder and puts a new one in. But not having the tool means my comments are academic. They could have done something to require that you must buy their cartridges only. I wouldn't want someone to buy it because of my comment, and find out I advised wrongly.

Bob will have to clarify.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:39 am

It's a handy little tool.

Perhaps not a RX-7 tool, more of a plastic airplane OS Max/Enya small project tool.  Although for it's size it has a surprising amount of torque.  It's gift is that it's small and light and can get into places that other DC drill/drivers cannot, and the ease of changing bits.  Pull, rotate, push and that's it.  Bits never get lost.

It stays in my basement workshop where it get used frequently.

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014846
So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014845

Added this one last week.  HART from Walmart, about the same price without all the added stuff.  Removing the interior from the RX-7 I got sick of turning a manual screwdriver.  Replaces a Black and Decker that I had for years.  Battery failed not the screwdriver.

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? 100_1312
So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? 100_1313

Not sure how the white will work out among the grease, the mud, the blood, and the beer....................

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014847
So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? P1014848
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:05 am

That little driver caught my attention too when I first saw it…. Thought it was a small drill…Would like to have a drill about that size…. Currently using a small DeWalt, Great for around the house but bulky for modeling….. Maybe there is one, Just haven’t looked that hard…. Anyway, Looks like a great compact tool Thumbs Up
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:17 am

Okey, I have to ask, what is the purpose of having a "gun" rather than just an electric screw driver?
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:37 am

Surfer_kris wrote:Okey, I have to ask, what is the purpose of having a "gun" rather than just an electric screw driver?

Not much.  The Channel-lock would have been a better choice.  I just did not want to subject it to the use it would get in the garage.  Besides it's to valuable in the basement. The HART was an impulse buy.  I had just tried to take apart my Black & Decker to replace the batteries, but they built it not to come apart.  Hense the HART.  Either one does the same job with the edge going to the gun IMO.  You can get more leverage with the gun and it's more natural to hold.

Edit add:

Talked myself right into another Channel-lock.  Clicked on George's Amazon link.  Will be here the 13th.

I have a bunch of drills/drivers/impacts.  With five workbenches spread out over a basement, a loft, two garages, and a wood workshop I need them.  Either that or travelling all the time.  

The little 4.8V Craftsman (top) started it all.  Vintage, one of the first battery operated drills.  Wore it out.  But I keep it for nostalgas sake.  Next generation right below it.  Best one yet.  Transitionsed to lesser Harbor Freight examples for some unknown reason.

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? 100_1314
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:35 pm

Bob,

We had a cold snap a week or so ago that put my shop down to 2 degrees. I’ve had enough of it. I need to work out there. I can deal with cold having grown up in Canada, but I am getting to an age where I ask my self why suffer?

I picked this up the other day….

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? A9e7d710
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:14 am

Timely.

Gas I would think? But we had something similiar in Flordia that was oil. Boy would that thing heat!

My attached garage is where the RX-7 is located and it's always cold. Little electrics don't do the job. My daughter has a combination heat/AC unit in her garage that she got at Costco. An inside unit that vents to the outside through a clothes dryer hose that works really well. Costco doesn't carry it anymore and I have been looking for one.

How are you coming on those Triumphs?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:22 pm

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do?

I went back to work!  

A former student (he's in his mid-fifties now) had acquired a contract to network a number of locations in KY and IN and could not find anyone who wanted to work, so he contacted me.  We have been installing the switch boxes and patch panels, pulling new CAT 6e cable, cutting in wall boxes (these are all existing office buildings), doing all the punch downs and certifying the connections.  Since a little before Thanksgiving, we have pulled over 27,000 feet of cable.  We spend a lot of time with fish sticks, fish tape and jerk line -- a few interior walls don't have insulation, but all exterior wall drops have to be punched through fiberglass.  Two of the locations were formerly doctor's offices and several rooms were lead lined behind the sheetrock! We should be finished in two more weeks.

Frankly, I didn't know if I would be able to keep up the pace -- we work a minimum of 10 hours/day on site and in those office buildings that are not yet occupied by the new owners, 12 hours/day.  He does look out for the old man and takes care of most of the ladder and attic work and I deal with everything from head height to the floor -- still have to get down and back up, however.  

I have enjoyed the work, but after we grab a bite to eat in the evening, get back to the hotel and do some planning and prep for the next day, I'm done!! But, it is a good feeling to know that at my age, I'm still able to make some contribution.

a--
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:48 pm

Good for you Andrew, never give up and never give in.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:53 pm

Regarding @Andrew's good and faithful work ethic, recently I listened to Pastor Chuck Baldwin's recorded new year's message:

https://libertyfellowshipmt.com/News/tabid/56/ID/4353/My-Vision-For-2023-And-Beyond.aspx

He spoke of a problem with much of our today's society, where that people don't seem to have the work ethic that was IMO, overall prevalent years ago. It is something that I observe here in Clovis. A good number seem to be happy to live in a bare minimal existence, subsisting on government programs. (Please note, I am not speaking of those who paid into U.S. Social Security through their employments and are now drawing from that. This is not an entitlement, no matter how the government labels it. It is a retirement from the government for mandatory investment in it.)

When Covid hit, some decided that they no longer had to pay rent, and did not, because the N.M. and other state Supreme Courts determined that their so-called governor's executive orders prevented landlords from seeking redress for non-payment of rent, utility companies seeking redress for nonpayment of utilities. Now, the "law" has "expired", and so a number face eviction and utilities terminations nationwide. They could use their government subsidies to help them gain an education, or get into an apprenticeship, give up the subsidies and become independent. When misfortune hits, they take the path of least resistance without the thought of consequences, now carry a ball and chain.

Personally I feel blessed. I stuck it out with the federal government for 28 years, and am now collecting a retirement. I stuck it out with the Army Reserves, and am now collecting a small retirement along with the medical benefits. And, for sticking it out for a shorter time at Douglas Aircraft, and reaping a small retirement.

It pays to be a finisher. It also demonstrates by being a faithful provider toward one's wife and children, to lead a life that is relatively free from worry. Early on, I moved around a lot between job positions, seeking advancement, although I probably would have done better just sticking to one from the start.

But, I am glad I stayed with the government. Although it paid slightly less, it allowed me to be employed in lower cost areas, (in essence making as much or netting more than in a high cost area), afforded a better family life than would ever have in the midst of a large city. Plus, overall, the government was fair in its treatment of me. There was far less politics interfering with advancements, pay bonuses and compensatory days off, moving expenses, and etc. (With most recent changes though, I think a lot of that is evaporating.)

I am also grateful that I stayed with the same woman for now going on 38 years.

But most of all, I thank my Lord for helping me to stick it out for so long.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:24 pm

My Mother a school teacher for 32 years, went back to teaching developmentally challenged children as a volunteer in her 80's. She taught Sunday school into her 90's. Still active at 100, we lost her at 104. She kept yearly journals.

Mom was a saint, sadly I did not follow in her footsteps.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:36 pm

Amen George, You have your priorities right…. Since I retired I’ve been going slowly and carefully thru the Psalms, Something I’ve wanted to do for a while … Four months … At Psa 114…

Andrew, That kind of work sounds familiar except mine was electrical…. I bet you’ve thrown a tennis ball with a string tied to it over a suspended ceiling a time or two as well Very Happy

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:14 pm

rdw777 wrote:...............
Andrew, That kind of work sounds familiar except mine was electrical…. I bet you’ve thrown a tennis ball with a string tied to it over a suspended ceiling a time or two as well Very Happy

Robert

That brought a smile to my face.  

I've have also used a slingshot to shoot a 1/2" nut tied to monofilament across ceilings; I've driven an RC jeep with a flashlight taped to the body down wire mesh cable trays towing monofilament and sucked yarn tufts (like those on the tops of toboggan hats) tied to monofilament down innerduct using a vacuum cleaner -- we called it "sucking a mouse".  

Necessity is truly the mother of invention.  Regardless of the type of work we do, many of us learn to do it better, faster, more efficiently and with quality. I really believe that same ethic carries into our hobbies -- I see it on this forum where pride in workmanship, attention to detail and quality of product is showcased daily.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:36 pm

andrew wrote:I've driven an RC jeep with a flashlight taped to the body down wire mesh cable trays towing monofilament and sucked yarn tufts (like those on the tops of toboggan hats) tied to monofilament down innerduct using a vacuum cleaner -- we called it "sucking a mouse". [...] I really believe that same ethic carries into our hobbies -- I see it on this forum where pride in workmanship, attention to detail and quality of product is showcased daily.
I think I see a potential Cox Engine of the Month winner. Very Happy During lunch break, after or before work, before they close up the ceilings, you place a Cox powered car in the cable tray. Get someone to take your close up photo with fuel bulb in your hand and battery nearby, RC car top up with an insert close up of the engine in photo, pretending to run it.

To add further realism, borrow a smoke machine that is used on stages, (I've got one Laughing ) to mist up the scenery a bit like a Castor oil burning Cox would. Wink

As long as the leadership doesn't object, I think you could have a lot of fun doing it. (And, you don't have to carry the antics to an extreme as I mentioned, especially short of running it!
lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:25 pm

What started this thread.  Finished it.  Squeezed it in between caliper # 1 and 2.  On left.

But found another missing the cowl.  Thankfully I have another Nescafe' coffee jar cover.

The risks of buying partial plastic airplanes.  All of these are/were missing substantial body parts.

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? 100_1315
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:20 pm

rsv1cox wrote:What started this thread.  Finished it.  Squeezed it in between caliper # 1 and 2.  On left.

But found another missing the cowl.  Thankfully I have another Nescafe' coffee jar cover.

The risks of buying partial plastic airplanes.  All of these are/were missing substantial body parts.

So, what do you do when there is nothing to do? 100_1315

But once were lost, and now were all found all happy in a great new home to be cherished once again! Great job on the bringing back from the dead of airplanes!

As for drills, too bad they were discontinued. They do look nice. My first one was a B & D 6V I believe. Internal battery, that finally gave up and would not hold charge. So I tried my best to dismantle it as I was going to try making a 1/2a starter from it, but it did not work as planned.......
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum