Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Brace of Scorpions Cox_ba12

Brace of Scorpions Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Irvine Mills .75 replica
by ffkiwi Today at 4:43 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:33 am

» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by balogh Today at 1:06 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by getback Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Brace of Scorpions Empty
Live on Patrol

Brace of Scorpions

Go down

Happy Brace of Scorpions

Post  Yabby Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:58 am

Built one of these Scorpions for my lad and ended up really liking the way the plane flies and built myself a brace of them.

Brace of Scorpions Brace110

Had been crashing heaps lately and it seemed I was finding a new way to crash every time I went flying. Past four trips of four filghts each, just flying these scorpions has been great and crash free. cheers

When I was racing bikes there were a few periods where it seemed every time I practiced, qualified, or raced I found a new way to crash and Dad would make me practice on a week day for a few weeks between race meetings at the track with no pit board, no stop watches, and I had to focus on being smooth, clean and controlled. No steering in corners by wheel spinning and pushing the front wheel, no braking into corners with the back wheel in the air, no braking whilst cranked over, and definately no wheelstanding on the exits of corners whilst still cranked over. It worked. It made me go back to basics and get my head right again and when I started to push hard and do the other things again they would work without crashing all the time.

Flying the scorpions Ive been practicing flying flat and level at about 4 feet, doing loops and wingovers only. Ive been focusing on the wingovers being straight overhead, not inside or outside, straight overhead and with a pullout to level at approx 5 or six feet and going into the wingover from 5 or 6 feet. (42 ft steel lines)  With my loops Ive been focusing on looping and keeping the air speed constant through the loop and trying to get a nice round loop with an exit and entry point that are almost the same point. Another helpful thing has been the TD 049s on my Scorpions have been starting really easy and just reving really well and constant through the whole flight and keeping great tension on 42 ft lines so lots of sky to fly in. Having a really good engine that revs hard but constant makes a real difference to the ease of flying and I guess also your confidence as you can trust the engine will keep the line tension all the time.

I have never tried to clean my flying up before as I have always just flown on instinct and reflexes and I have now had 16 flights, no crashes and my flying is heaps cleaner and far more controlled. Now I hope just like I did on my bike, after a good lot of practice getting the basics correct, smooth and flowing, when I go back to doing the other things I will have more control and make a better go of it. Im sure I will still crash trying to fly inverted and doing eights but hopefully less often and with more regular successful inverted and eights.  I will also only try inverted and eights on days where the weather is good. No more trying to outfly lots of gusting wind. Laughing
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy Re: Brace of Scorpions

Post  getback Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:03 am

Sounds like you are getting a Grip on this flying w/o crashes , not as much building and more time at the fly field . I use to ride dirt bike in my youth and on up till 40s or so when hitting the ground was NO Joke lol m my son has been trying to get me to ride his HD 883 and i keep telling him maybe one day but not today and I sure wouldn't ride on back with him lol! I do miss it though ! Sad I am glad you got a design for now that will keep ya in the air .... Next move should bee a built up wing the stunts will bee a lot easier / but repair not as .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:06 am

Very nice approach to your flying Gary… You have the model of the practice on your bike and carried over to your flying…, Keeping discipline and not break protocol…. I’m sure when you see improvements it’s very satisfying ….I enjoy your builds and flying reports!!!

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:14 pm

Thanks Robery and Eric, Yes, progress will be satisfying!! I am having to work at flying to learn it harder than anyhting I have tried before. Loops and wingovers came easy but after that............... Ive struggled at times. I will keep practicing with these Scorpions ive found and keep getting air time as I think that in itself will help.

Im with you Eric, no getting on the back of peoples bikes. Damn! I dont even like people on the back of my bike. Bikes were never meant for two people. Simple. Its dangerous. I also tend not to ride other people bikes either as some of them are like riding a 3 legged mule with a worse temeperment. Laughing Thats the good thing about flying; engines, fuel, planes, lines, learning, noise, glow plugs, try this try that, its not a replacement for racing bikes, but its a very good and enjoyable hobby where no one gets hurt cheers and an awful lot of fun can be had relatively cheaply. Thumbs Up
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: