Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? Cox_ba12

Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 1:04 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? Empty
Live on Patrol

Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head?

Go down

Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? Empty Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head?

Post  ncpiperpilot Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:49 am

Anyone recognize this diesel head I just picked up. It came with a fair number of teflon washers. Never run a diesel, I plan to make up some fuel, 1/3 each, kerosene, castor and JD ether. 

I found the mecoa diesel head instructions.  Any other tips are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 
Bill Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? 20230210
Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? 20230211
ncpiperpilot
ncpiperpilot
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? Empty Re: Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head?

Post  balogh Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:53 am

This is the one sold by COX international... still available on the website..I bought it out of curiosity, but neither the performance, nor expected/shortened engine longevity nor fuel availability encouraged me to ever use it on my old stock COX engines..maybe not so painful if used on a Surestart?

https://coxengines.ca/?target=search&mode=search&substring=Diesel&including=all
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? Empty Re: Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head?

Post  gkamysz Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:22 am

Davis made these for decades. It should be noted that a reed valve crank will fail, Davis also sold a stronger crank. TeeDee will be fine. The theory with the teflon gaskets is they fail before the engine does, if you over compress it. Later versions included aluminum discs for use with stronger engines. There was a version which had a lever on the compression screw used as a throttle by reducing compression to reduce power.

I would start with a 7x3. Larger props require less compression, so are actually less load on the engine.

Davis Diesel .020/.049/.051 Diesel Conversion Manual instruction sheet near the bottom of the page https://www.coxengineforum.com/h24-instruction-sheets
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:34 pm

For little diesels, I have a mix of a few:

CS Bodo diesels
Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? Cs-bod12

Or a Redfin engine (was made in the Ukrane until the war (factory hit by a bomb from a plane --- no one hurt  Thumbs Up )
Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? Cs_ref10

The small PAW diesel engines:
Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? Paw_0411

Irvine Diesels:
Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? Irvine19

My favorite Enya diesels:
Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? Enya_209
Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? Enya_208

And a few more.

The engines that are designed as diesels do much better than the ones that were glow engines converted to diesel.
But, the diesel engines are a bit heavier
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ncpiperpilot Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:29 pm

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated. I'll read up more on the Cox international and David diesel versions.
...Bill
ncpiperpilot
ncpiperpilot
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:35 am

ncpiperpilot wrote:Anyone recognize this diesel head I just picked up

I found the mecoa diesel head instructions.  Any other tips are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 
Bill Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? 20230210
Anyone recognize this 049 diesel head? 20230211
I would like to suggest you to use on another engine the cox engine is not a very good diesel and requires modifications a different crankchaft the best would be that you use on a norvel or a wasp
061Can be installed directly on the engine and seems to work well I only tested for a moment but proves that it is possible
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ncpiperpilot Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:36 pm

Interesting idea. I didn't realize the Cox head would fit those engines. I have to admit...never saw anyone hold a motor in their hand while running 😁🤣
ncpiperpilot
ncpiperpilot
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:43 pm

ncpiperpilot wrote:Interesting idea. I didn't realize the Cox head would fit those engines. I have to admit...never saw anyone hold a motor in their hand while running  😁🤣

I saw Eric Clutton (Dr. Diesel) run the small PAW diesel engine at the Toledo show for many years along with his parrakeet on his shoulder.
It was sad to see him the one year at Toledo without his parrakeet (passed away)

Now Eric has caught up to his beloved bird.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:21 am

ncpiperpilot wrote:Interesting idea. I didn't realize the Cox head would fit those engines. I have to admit...never saw anyone hold a motor in their hand while running  😁🤣

hehe 😅 lol!  I don't know why I still do this when I was young I started a cox engine that I was holding in my hands in the house I can tell you that my oldest sister who had to watch me when mom wasn't around almost jumped from her chair, I didn't know what she said, I think she said, stop that, but when the engine stopped, our ears were buzzing and we laughed. From that and my younger sister came up from the basement where she was hiding she said wat was that loud noise almost crying lol! Laughing  I have already made the mistake of starting an engine that is too big and powerful in my hand the engine wanted to run away I burned my hand dont do this wit cox .15 .9 its scary Shocked
Here is a list of several videos where I hold the engine running in my hand different cox engine
https://youtu.be/H50zUQTcnOA https://youtu.be/6nyxDbNoF7c https://youtu.be/DmXJhMg15KQ I even did it again in the house I did the trick to my son Niko but with a silencer
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ncpiperpilot Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:35 pm

Hey, watch this and hold my beer...lol!
ncpiperpilot
ncpiperpilot
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down