Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Bird Strike Cox_ba12

Bird Strike Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Irvine Mills .75 replica
by ffkiwi Today at 4:43 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:33 am

» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by balogh Today at 1:06 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by getback Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Bird Strike Empty
Live on Patrol

Bird Strike

Go down

Bird Strike Empty Bird Strike

Post  Yabby Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:25 am

In my continuing quest to find different ways to crash my Half A planes I got crashed out by a bird strike on the weekend. A flock of about 20 Galaghs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galah  took me out.

Bird Strike 220px-10

They didnt take my plane out by accident, they aggressively chased and flew after it, until eventually one or several hit my lines hard enough to break a line and cause a crash. Its not the first time birds here out rural have shown an interest in my plane, but never like this before. The Galaghs are about 35 cm (14 in) in length, and weighs 270–350 g (10–12 oz) so not a large predator type bird but a flock of them after your plane is extremely problematic. Hopefully they will move on to another location soon, but until then I will fly at the local school oval on the weekends and hopefully they wont turn up there. Lol.

No birds showed as being injured so I assume none of them got hit by the propeller, the plane crashed and the flock flew off.

I was wondering if others have had problems with this sort of thing, I guess different countries and different locations in a country are more or less prone to this sort of thing. I am out very rural. Never had the problem in the city. Think the birds outback here are naturally more aggressive and defensive of their air space than in the city.
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Bird Strike Empty Re: Bird Strike

Post  rdw777 Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:46 am

Hi Yabby, That’s crazy they strike hard enough to break a line!!! Hope your plane is OK!!!….I happened to catch a bird incident on video

You have to watch carefully at the end but a pair of Cooper’s Hawks got after my flapping flyer…. Admittedly, It looked kind of like lunch to them LOL!!!
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:07 am

Goodaye Robert, Yes it was pretty crazy getting attacked by birds like that. 8 thou steel line broken about 2 feet from plane. I guess with them flying quickly and they weigh up to 12 oz so 3/4 pound flying fast is a fair bit of force and they are very solid birds. Nothing eats Galaghs. not even in the desert where things are very hungry lol! the plane survived fine. It was only a slab wing profile anyway. The worst part is the steel lines are not cheap and they were a bundle up and into the bin job. Still, at least it amused my Lad no end. lol! He couldnt stop laughing for so long, whilst I just stood there with my handle in my hand looking at my crashed plane, broken lines, and the birds flying off, in total disbelief. Laughing Oh well, thats another way to crash that is ticked off of my ways to crash bucket list. lol!

Your Ornithopter is truly amazing Thumbs Up what an incredible craft and beutifully put together video! the bird right at the end is absolutely perfect as the Ornithopter itself is so bird like in the way it flies. just fits the video perfectly with a bird coming in at it at the end. sunny
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:12 am

that is Wild Gary , didn't think to much about it till you said and I remembered you fly with steel lines !! At 14 " and almost a # that is a pretty big bird and I like the way you say there tuff and nothing will even eat them LOL I had some bird of pray fling around my RC planes when I was fling but never C/L Crazy stuff ! Robert is that ur bird fling those are pretty cool !! Smoking cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:50 am

Hi Yabby,
It is stories like this, I joined this CEF, Cool
Got the birdstrike T-shirt.Smile
Beautiful spring day, we were doing club clean up day. Waiting for the guy to show up with the keys to the shed.
I fired up the BW.049 screwed on the the nose of a CG Gentle Lady glider. Climbed out as usual and engine cut.
I noticed two hawks circling below, so figured they had a thermal, and tried to join them.
Blam! then another Blam! I landed close to the field with only wingtips left. Shredded covering in between.
We went on to cut the field and fly other planes...
Next club meeting, several of us had close encounters too.
Turned out, there was two young hawks learning to fly. In a tree behind the flight line. These ones:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper%27s_hawk
Check out the claws ! ! !
The Gentle Lady flew on with a BabyBee, and could still be flying, hawk claw marks and all.
Field has been long ago paved over.
Moral of the story?
My Black Widow,
Has more stories to tell...
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:59 am

@Yabby, Australia is the only place I know of with the largest great white sharks 🏊 😛🔱 and salt water crocodiles, 🚷🐊 and now, the meanest small birds 🐦 🔞 not afraid of attacking a screaming Cox powered control line aircraft. Doh!  Shocked  No!  Laughing

Did the indigenous place a curse on the flying field you were using in the wild? 👻

lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:57 pm

Hi All,

Eric, as you said having them attack an RC I can more understand but a CL really surprised me. Near pulled the handle out of my hand before they broke! but in saying that, it was only 8 though steel at 42 foot. this mornming I will go fly there again and see how it goes. hopefully it doesnt cost me another set of lines.

Dave, excellent stroty and the hawk sure does have claws! I can understand birds of prey with young attacking and again an RC, I just thought the round and round of CL would hold them off. We have a lot of Hawks and Wedge tail eagles around here but they have never been a problem. the bloody Galaghs lol! Absolute nuisance birds in so many ways. Cause everyone a problem one way or anotherl. Its just their nature somehow. shame the field is paved over. I hate seeing fields paved and built-in. Thats one good thing out here. Open space Thumbs Up

George, the saltys and white pointers are not so bad (not so good either lol! ) its the stinger jellyfish which are everywhere up north and the rarer Irukandji jellyfish, both of which can be and are often fatal to those they sting. they are usually found in shallow swimming depth waters and are near impossible to see. The land the town and the oval are on is uncontested indingineous land and sporting facilitys are a very important part of the modern day indigenous lifestyle. They love Ozzy rules football and are some of the very best in the country with amazing speed and awesome accurate kicking skills both sides of their bodies usually.

hope to try and fly again today, as I need to sort my newly made up steel lines out at the field. I luckily have a spare set that I hadnt made up yet. they are made up now and ready to go. Ive got another two sets of lines made up that are 50 ft but the weather needs to be dead calm to use them (with a TD ) and here right on the beachfront that doesnt often happen especially now that summer has finsihed and we are into Autumn heading for Winter.

Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:18 pm

Yabby wrote:George, the saltys and white pointers are not so bad (not so good either lol! ) its the stinger jellyfish which are everywhere up north and the rarer Irukandji jellyfish, both of which can be and are often fatal to those they sting. they are usually found in shallow swimming depth waters and are near impossible to see.
I was being a little facetious.  Shocked  Laughing When I was in junior high in the mid 1960's, I got stung by a Portuguese Man-Of-War, had welts all around one of my arms spaced about 15-20 mm apart, each stinging like a wasp sting but worse. Was body surfing at a small secluded beach about two miles south of the Makaha beach on Oahu in Hawaii, famous for the annual worldwide surfing championships. Wasn't fatal to me, but a real pain.  Sad Don't think I'd want to tangle with those Irukandji's, could well, be a not-so-good ending experience. Affraid or WOW! Sad Goodbye

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/fact-file/irukandji/
Bird Strike Irukandji-1-1536x903
Photo from Australian Geographic.

Yabby wrote:The land the town and the oval are on is uncontested indigenous land and sporting facilities are a very important part of the modern day indigenous lifestyle. They love Ozzy rules football and are some of the very best in the country with amazing speed and awesome accurate kicking skills both sides of their bodies usually.
All you need is an Aboriginal friend or two who happen to love flying C/L, then you got the ideal flying buddies.  Cool  Beer Cheers

Yabby wrote:hope to try and fly again today, as I need to sort my newly made up steel lines out at the field. I luckily have a spare set that I hadn't made up yet. they are made up now and ready to go.  I've got another two sets of lines made up that are 50 ft but the weather needs to be dead calm to use them (with a TD ) and here right on the beachfront that doesn't often happen especially now that summer has finished and we are into Autumn heading for Winter.
Your bird strike reminds of may be now time to try out less expensive but just as effective, G-sump or Spectra synthetic thread fishing lines for C/L cables? Those are easier to replace. Very Happy Babe Bee

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/fact-file/fact-file-galah-cacatua-roseicapilla/
Bird Strike Shutterstock_2169000167-edited-1536x864
Galah photo from Australian Geographic, credit Shutterstock.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:33 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Your bird strike reminds of may be now time to try out less expensive but just as effective, G-sump or Spectra synthetic thread fishing lines for C/L cables? Those are easier to replace. Very Happy Babe Bee

I have tried using Spectra / Fishing line at 10 Lb and it works really well, but for some reason I just like the 8 thou steel. It feels better. there is nothing good measurable about the difference between steel and spectra that I can put my hat to. both are good, but for some reason I just like the feel of steel a bit better, especially as the lines get longer. the one thing I really like with spectra is the ease of connecting it!!!! Very Happy But on the down side I find it very very tangly and my eyes are not what they once were. lol! Maybe I just need to be more careful with the spectra, as I am with the steel.
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:40 pm

Yabby, I was thinking about it and I bet that Galagh got a little image of your plane tattooed on his wing after knocking you down LOL!!!

Eric, Yes that was my flapper…. I’ve built a few of them…. Grandkids get a kick out of them…

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:43 am

getback wrote:that is Wild Gary , didn't think to much about it till you said and I remembered you fly with steel lines !! At 14 " and almost a # that is a pretty big bird and I like the way you say there tuff and nothing will even eat them LOL I had some bird of pray fling around my RC planes when I was fling but never C/L Crazy stuff ! Robert is that ur bird fling those are pretty cool !! Smoking cheers

Here's an age-old recipe for cooking a Cockatoo (or Galah- same thing).

Add water to a large pot and bring to the boil.  Add salt to taste.  Placed the prepared Cockatoo into the pot along with a medium size rock.
return to the boil and simmer for two hours.  When done, throw away the Cockatoo and eat the rock!!
lol! lol! lol! lol!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:50 am

Oldenginerod wrote:
getback wrote:that is Wild Gary , didn't think to much about it till you said and I remembered you fly with steel lines !! At 14 " and almost a # that is a pretty big bird and I like the way you say there tuff and nothing will even eat them LOL I had some bird of pray fling around my RC planes when I was fling but never C/L Crazy stuff ! Robert is that ur bird fling those are pretty cool !! Smoking cheers

Here's an age-old recipe for cooking a Cockatoo (or Galah- same thing).

Add water to a large pot and bring to the boil.  Add salt to taste.  Placed the prepared Cockatoo into the pot along with a medium size rock.
return to the boil and simmer for two hours.  When done, throw away the Cockatoo and eat the rock!!
lol! lol! lol! lol!

thank you! well said, it needed saying, I couldnt remember it properly. lol! Describes a Galah soo well. Laughing lol!
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down