Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

020 troubleshooting Cox_ba12

020 troubleshooting Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

020 troubleshooting Empty
Live on Patrol

020 troubleshooting

Go down

020 troubleshooting Empty 020 troubleshooting

Post  Grf4413 Fri May 12, 2023 12:59 pm

Bench ran a couple of 020's.  Both lost rpm's when I removed the glow clip. Guessing 2 to 4 thousand rpm.  Played with needle valve, but couldn't get the rpm's back. Running a 4x3 prop, and Sig champion 20% nitro. Anyone with ideas would be a great help. My thoughts , glow plug or need a little higher nitro %. Thnaks
Grf4413
Grf4413
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

020 troubleshooting Empty Re: 020 troubleshooting

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri May 12, 2023 3:06 pm

Grf4413 wrote:Bench ran a couple of 020's.  Both lost rpm's when I removed the glow clip. Guessing 2 to 4 thousand rpm.  Played with needle valve, but couldn't get the rpm's back. Running a 4x3 prop, and Sig champion 20% nitro. Anyone with ideas would be a great help. My thoughts , glow plug or need a little higher nitro %. Thnaks
This is a sure sign that the glow head is going bad. There is a rare earth coating of either platinum or iridium or combination of both on the nichrome wire element. The coating acts as a catalyst to keep the nichrome wire hot, when it comes in contact with the methanol in the fuel. If wire looks intact (not flaky or ash like), chances are that has happened. If the coating degrades, then the catalytic action diminishes, causing that drop in RPM.

That is why with the battery attached, the nichrome element is red hot causing excellent RPM, but with it removed, the nichrome wire temperature drops because the coating can't keep the wire hot, causing RPM drop after ignition wires are removed.

Fortunately, Cox International (Bernie) and Ex Model Engines (Matt) have .020 glow heads available.

Just for sake of discussion, back about 10 years ago, I bought a whole card of 10 or 12 Swanson Associates Fireball red hot glow plugs. They would work for a couple days, then do exactly what you describe on my larger engines. After research, I found out that there was a period of time, maybe 30 years ago, in which Swanson had received defectively coated nichrome wire for their plugs. Fortunately, I did not lose a whole lot of money, because then one could get a card of glow plugs for under $30.

Yet, an old Enya #30 plug that came with a used 1965 model .09-III TV worked flawlessly, which goes to show that age is not a factor affecting the quality of plugs.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri May 12, 2023 5:00 pm

That’s great advice focusing on the glow head on this issue…. Also, make sure you’re not leaking from the head/cylinder joint or the post itself on the glow head… You can use some castor oil brushed on an turn it over thru compression to check…. Leveling the bottom of the head with very fine sandpaper (400 or better) and a new copper head gasket can help seal….
rdw777
rdw777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

020 troubleshooting Empty 020 troubleshooting

Post  Grf4413 Fri May 12, 2023 9:27 pm

Thanks for the good explanation. After I read it , it makes sense to me. Just to keep going, are 020's happy with 20% nitro, or do they like a little more?? Thanks again!!!
Grf4413
Grf4413
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri May 12, 2023 10:59 pm

Grf4413 wrote:Thanks for the good explanation. After I read it , it makes sense to me.  Just to keep going, are 020's happy with 20% nitro, or do they like a little more??  Thanks again!!!
20% nitro is fine. Cox fuel of the day was 15% nitro. Main thing is 20% oil package with at least half as Castor oil. Castor oil has a higher heat of vaporization, combusts at a higher temperature than synthetic, so if you have a lean run where there is less oil to lubricate the engine internals, it persists on internal surfaces to include the sensitive piston ball and socket joint for the connecting rod and the aluminum crankcase bearing surfaces.

Back in the day some 50 years ago, I was doing a lot of .020 Pee Wee flying single channel R/C. Because the Cox fuels were not available at the military bases where I lived in the barracks and flew, I usually used K&B Supersonic 1000 and Duke's Missile Mist. These are 25% nitro. Later in college in the late 1970's, was buying SIG Champion 25% nitro fuel with 20% Castor oil.
020 troubleshooting 2023-028
Legacy fuel data from MECOA website.

Somehow I feel that the formulas in MECOA's proposed fuel manufacturing, for the K&B differs from the stuff back then, because I was devarnishing my Pee Wee's every couple hundred flights, which must have been nearly all Castor. Synthetic oil helps to keep the varnishing effect down, not good for the old worn out legacy engines like the Fox, Testor McCoy Red Head, K&B Torpedo soft steel cylinders with iron pistons.

Fuels back then were mostly Castor with may be a couple percent other "secret" formula and a minimum 20% oil. (Some thought may be Acetone to keep Castor suspended).
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down