Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Just when you think you understand your kids?? Cox_ba12

Just when you think you understand your kids?? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Irvine Mills .75 replica
by ffkiwi Today at 4:43 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:33 am

» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by balogh Today at 1:06 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by getback Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Just when you think you understand your kids?? Empty
Live on Patrol

Just when you think you understand your kids??

Go down

Just when you think you understand your kids?? Empty Just when you think you understand your kids??

Post  Oldenginerod Mon May 15, 2023 4:53 am

Number two son, 25 years old, lovely partner and a beautiful 1 year old son (our grandson Charlie). Doing his thing cooking and working in hospitality, plus recently qualified as a cruise director on a whale watching boat, which he loves.  
Well, just when we least expected it, he's applying to enter the RAAF (airforce), not as a chef/cook because that would most likely see him sent to Katherine or Woomera.  (Google them- very remote).  Most likely starting out as ground crew with his eye on loadmaster because it pays better.  I'm trying to talk him out of the Loadmaster thing.  If something goes wrong (load/weight miscalculation) with the load in a C-17 or a Globemaster, he'll be the first to be investigated.  Nothing against the Airforce (My late brother served in the RAAF) but ya gotta wonder!!  As it is we only see our grandson every 5-6 months.  What is he thinking?
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Just when you think you understand your kids?? Empty Re: Just when you think you understand your kids??

Post  rsv1cox Mon May 15, 2023 7:29 am

Itchy feet Rod, I know it well although he's starting late.  

I was happy when my son joined the Navy.  Saw the world at Government expense and he learned a skill that set him off on a thrity year career with Raytheon.

BTW, they had him slotted for a position at Alice Springs, but was detailed to another position in Texas. Kind of a disappointment for him.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Just when you think you understand your kids?? Empty Re: Just when you think you understand your kids??

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon May 15, 2023 9:05 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Number two son, 25 years old, lovely partner and a beautiful 1 year old son (our grandson Charlie). Doing his thing cooking and working in hospitality, plus recently qualified as a cruise director on a whale watching boat, which he loves.  
Well, just when we least expected it, he's applying to enter the RAAF (airforce), not as a chef/cook because that would most likely see him sent to Katherine or Woomera.  (Google them- very remote).  Most likely starting out as ground crew with his eye on loadmaster because it pays better.  I'm trying to talk him out of the Loadmaster thing.  If something goes wrong (load/weight miscalculation) with the load in a C-17 or a Globemaster, he'll be the first to be investigated.  Nothing against the Airforce (My late brother served in the RAAF) but ya gotta wonder!!  As it is we only see our grandson every 5-6 months.  What is he thinking?
Rod, since military pay is rank specific, I'd think he'd start out with whatever rank he is initially assigned, then based on available positions allotted to that rank, would get his promotions accordingly based on performance, leadership appraisal/preference, and promotability opportunities in the particular field he serves. I guess the question is, if he were to be given a remote assignment, is it an accompanied tour, or single? (In the US, an unaccompanied assignment in a remote area would be called a "hardship tour", say, sent without family to a forward base near North Korea or in Mid East, for example, sometimes up to a year.)

When I joined in 1972, it was still a moral Army then. It had good leadership, discipline was good. What I saw of the military when I was working for both the Dept. of Air Force and Army in the 2000's as a civilian, I saw changes with the system where it got more political. That what you mentioned, possibility of being assessed blame, I saw that. I don't know the specifics of service in your country, but I can understand your concerns. If your son was single, then, for him to join would be of less concern, because he could serve remotely and it would not impact a wife and child. A father's involvement especially in the early years is very important. He now has some additional overhead in being married and raising a family, he needs to consider.

I don't know what the work situation is like where you are at. I hope that if he does decide, that the service allows more than a "dream sheet" for job selection. This is one reason why I did not join the Air Force in 1972. My enlisting would be as a contractual (not by conscription - draftee to those in US) would still be according to the "needs of the Air Force", which could be any job they determined I would serve in. The Army at the time allowed me to be contractually bound to the position and unit of assignment if I passed the training.

So, I understand your concerns. Hopefully, he will weigh all costs to see the right path to follow, whether join or not join.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Mon May 15, 2023 1:06 pm

May everything be as his heart desires.
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Mon May 15, 2023 5:01 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Itchy feet Rod, I know it well although he's starting late.  

I was happy when my son joined the Navy.  Saw the world at Government expense and he learned a skill that set him off on a thrity year career with Raytheon.

BTW, they had him slotted for a position at Alice Springs, but was detailed to another position in Texas.  Kind of a disappointment for him.  
The wife's grandson is in the army, not sure I approve but he is OK with it. Just thought I'd mention I worked at Raytheon too, 25 years. Kind of glad to be out of there, the last few years were downhill. It is barely there any more, just an office. Keep the American jobs does not bode well for Canadian companies.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon May 15, 2023 5:16 pm

aspeed wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Itchy feet Rod, I know it well although he's starting late.  

BTW, they had him slotted for a position at Alice Springs, but was detailed to another position in Texas.  Kind of a disappointment for him.  
 The wife's grandson is in the army, not sure I approve but he is OK with it.  Just thought I'd mention I worked at Raytheon too, 25 years.  Kind of glad to be out of there, the last few years were downhill. It is barely there any more, just an office.  Keep the American jobs does not bode well for Canadian companies.

My son shared your feeling. Didn't seem to have the same can-do spirit of the early years. Rules/red tape became the norm. Society changed a lot in those years for everybody maybe a factor. He was happy to retire.

The military is a geat option for those ready to accept it. Takes a certain out-look and retirement after twenty years leaves plenty of time for a second career with the additional benefit of a lifetime income.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down