Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Took an engine out last week Cox_ba12

Took an engine out last week Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by MauricioB Today at 1:50 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 1:42 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Took an engine out last week Empty
Live on Patrol

Took an engine out last week

Go down

Took an engine out last week Empty Took an engine out last week

Post  OVERLORD Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:29 pm

Last friday afternoon, I took the V8 engine out of a Tatra 603 T3 of 1972. The engine itself dates from 1966. This is a 1 man's job and is eay and straightforward. After removing the rear bumper and the rear plating with the thermostat housing, and undoing the common electric cables, rods and fuel line, the engine can be unbolted from the gearbox on which it is attached with four M10 studs and nuts. The engine then just comes off with fans, mufflers and guide plating for the cooling air.

This is a donor car and is totally rusted. I don't understand how it hasn't broken in half yet!

Took an engine out last week Img_2017

Took an engine out last week Img_2018

Took an engine out last week Img_2019
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Took an engine out last week Empty Re: Took an engine out last week

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:10 pm

I'm green with envy Lieven. Wish I had been there to help/watch.

Engine looks good on the outside. The body on that rare car...........I would be tempted to restore. It can't be much worse than the MG I did a couple of years ago.

Thanks for sharing. Updates, updates!

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:26 pm

TATRA and SKODA  have been traditional vehicle brands in former Czechoslovakia dating back at least 100 years in history.I noted Lieven's affection of Tatra cars of the 60-s. In my recollection of the era in Eastern Europe those days,  these were not that popular cars behind the Iron Curtain, maybe it was their futuristic,  streamlined body that had some appeal?

But Czechoslovakian (after the split of the 2 countries, Czech today) industry has always been many paces ahead of the rest of the Eastern European region..

Skoda car factory, the other historical Czech car maker, was acquired by the VW group 30 or so years ago, and the brand today belongs to some of the most reliable and attractive middle category sedans and SUV-s made in Europe. German engineering of VW alone could not have established the reputation Skoda has earned by today.  had it not been for the Czech industrial culture. The other branch of Skoda has for long manufactured industrial steam turbines, and was recently acquired by South Korean power plant construction giant Doosan. The turbines made in the Czech factory work in medium size thermal power stations around the world, on all continents, thanks to their quality and competitiveness.
So the nucleus of Czech engineering that once produced the Tatra cars have grown by today  into s major industrial conglomerate that is present in the global industry among brand name, reputable peers in the auto and power plant domain.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:31 am

I remember using Skoda lathe tools in the past.

The Tatra 603 was never sold to the public. Exceptions can be counted on 1 hand. They all were destined for government and official use in czechoslovakia, DDR or USSR. I know of 1 car that was exported in the mid 60's to a Dutch importer of Tatra trucks and the 603 that was at the Brussels motor show in 1959 remained in Belgium.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:22 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I'm green with envy Lieven.  Wish I had been there to help/watch.  

Engine looks good on the outside.  The body on that rare car...........I would be tempted to restore.  It can't be much worse than the MG I did a couple of years ago.

Thanks for sharing.  Updates, updates!

Bob

Bob, the bottom part of this car is just a carastrophy. It's a car for the Flintstones. The car is at my dad's place in Belgium. The one I have in my garage is a 1963 model and one of the first T2 603 's. The production started in December '63. The body is very sound with only some minor body work and has still got it's original engine. So I 'll concentrate on that one. I bought the car in the late 90's and I' m decided to get on with it.
To be continued...
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:06 pm

Hi Lieven! It's really great to see you working on a Tatra. A few questions; Is that 1966 engine itself made/designed by Tatra? What is displacement in litres? How about the gearbox in your "63"? How many forward gears/ratio? I would assume that the ignition system is a mechanical distributor with breaker-points/condensor with a coil to provide the spark? Then again; the European Automobile industry was decades ahead of the United States auto makers of that era. General Motors "did" produce a mechanical Rochester fuel-injection system in 1957 for select Chevrolet Corvette and Belair models. That system was however plagued with unreliability issues.

Wishing you all the best of luck getting it roadworthy. I miss our emails.. it's been a long time. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:49 pm

I posted this here once before, but it's always good for a revisit especially for new members.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/the-death-eaters-chapter-1-tatra-t87/

I love the thing!

Took an engine out last week 1947-t11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:57 am

roddie wrote:Hi Lieven! It's really great to see you working on a Tatra. A few questions; Is that 1966 engine itself made/designed by Tatra? What is displacement in litres? How about the gearbox in your "63"?  How many forward gears/ratio? I would assume that the ignition system is a mechanical distributor with breaker-points/condensor with a coil to provide the spark? Then again; the European Automobile industry was decades ahead of the United States auto makers of that era. General Motors "did" produce a mechanical Rochester fuel-injection system in 1957 for select Chevrolet Corvette and Belair models. That system was however plagued with unreliability issues.

Wishing you all the best of luck getting it roadworthy. I miss our emails.. it's been a long time. Smile

Thanks Roddie, The engine is a 2,5 litre. Nothing wild. There is even no valve overlap.The gearbox is very classic with 4 forward gear and reverse. The engine has coil ignition and became electronic in 1970 or so.  4 disc brakes were introduced in 1967.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down