Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

New Hobby???? Free Flight..... Cox_ba12

New Hobby???? Free Flight..... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

New Hobby???? Free Flight..... Empty
Live on Patrol

New Hobby???? Free Flight.....

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Hobby???? Free Flight..... Empty New Hobby???? Free Flight.....

Post  NEW222 Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:26 pm

Hi all. So yes, I have been absent a lot lately. I did fall back into a modelling lull. So I just decided to take a break and step away for a bit. I think this is mainly due to the new rules that have come out up here. I just was not into it at all. Just a few drone flights this year and that was it, along with a couple with the tiny Champ.

So I recently decided to try my hand again at free flight. I wanted to build something again. I got rid of and gave away a bunch of my bigger planes, including my favorite Carbon Cub...... That one hurt to let go as it was truly my favorite and most doscile and gentle flier. But I still kept a few of my planes.

Anyways I decided I wanted to try free flight. I wanted a Guillows kit, but was steered away from them due to fly-abaility. So I picked a little scratch build to start with. This all started after I looked at a 'Diels Engineering' double kit I have here. It is very in depth and scale like. A bit much for a first-ish build. So I decided to start with a 'Tutor' from plans I downloaded online. As I am just starting to feel my way back, I will be doing this solwly, but after a couple weeks, I have the tail surfaces done and one fuselage side as of tonight.

New Hobby???? Free Flight..... 38225710
New Hobby???? Free Flight..... 20231010
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

New Hobby???? Free Flight..... Empty Guillows Super Cub 195

Post  706jim Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:57 pm

Power this with a Pee Wee 0.020 and you will not be disappointed. Speaking from experience 50 years ago.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

New Hobby???? Free Flight..... Empty Re: New Hobby???? Free Flight.....

Post  Levent Suberk Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:41 am

Good pastime it is. Both building and flying Very Happy

I built a rubber model from a Turkish made kit in my early teenage years. It was named as Serçe -Sparrow- and it is look alike to your rubber model. A good remembrance  Very Happy

I gave nearly all of my model planes as a gift to other friends, whom several of them are modelers, due lack of storage space. Today I only have two built models and three kits only. Very Happy Very Happy

New Hobby???? Free Flight..... 4310
New Hobby???? Free Flight..... 43-110

I found kit box picture.

New Hobby???? Free Flight..... 12110

Last edited by Levent Suberk on Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:59 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding picture.)
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:46 pm

Looks good NEW, You can’t go wrong with a high wing mono plane type…. Easy to trim to fly and will teach you a lot along the way… Please keep your progress posted Thumbs Up

I like Serçe too Levent…. Nice lines…And a long nose, Great for easy balance for rubber power….. You guys are making me want to build another rubber powered free flight!!!

For just about anything you would ever want to know about rubber powered models, This book by Don Ross covers it…. I learned so many good things from it concerning building and flying…. I still refer to it from time to time for parts that are good for small r/c as well…

New Hobby???? Free Flight..... 1ae8f110
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:24 pm

Thank you for the replies. I just realized I forgot a couple pieces in the front end. So I just added and glued them in place. Nothing major, but will keep on tomorrow.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:39 am

Reminds me of the joy of building stick and tissue. The translucent paper tissue covering adds a sense of beauty and to fly under rubber power was fun of itself. They also make beautiful static display models.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:21 am

I started out with sheet balsa rubber models kitted by Aussie company Aeroflite. I enjoyed building them but never had a great deal of success flying them. I knew nothing about trim at that age- Just wound them up and chucked them into the sky, usually resulting in a spiral into the ground. I thought I was really special when I got my first stick & tissue model, an Aeroflyte Bambi.

New Hobby???? Free Flight..... Img_ph10

I was so careful and meticulous with the build and was really proud of myself for the quality of the airframe. I'd also chosen some special red & green tissue as an alternative to the supplied white. That's where I came unstuck. Layed the tissue on ever so carefully and neatly. Man that thing looked great. Instructions said to brush on a coat of dope. There was really only one dope on the market. You guessed it. Aeroflyte.
The can said nothing about what sort of dope it was. After all, that's all you could get. It must have been right.
Well, I gave it a coat. Looked alright!! I was happy with my red & green scheme. I got up next morning to check it, and I had a red & green pretzel. Every stick in the plane was bent and twisted beyond repair. It was a mess. Inded up on the burn pile.
Needless to say, I haven't attempted a stick & tissue build again, nor will I ever.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:04 am

Way to go New , good to see you back on here and building something ! Sorry your country doesn't allow what you want to fly that really throws water on the fire . I got a rebuild of a Clown .15 size gong on its been a bit of a pain but will get it sorted out its here > https://www.coxengineforum.com/t17489p25-2023-run-what-ya-brung-unlimited-speed-contest?highlight=2023 This Site Rocks! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:34 pm

Well, not much new going on. Got the second side laid up and glued atop the first. No pictures, cause it would simply look like the other one. Lol. Probably take a day or two break now before trucking along on seperating the fuselage sides and gluing in the cross pieces. But just to clarify, I did indeed lay another piece of wax paper between the two sides. I am thinking of sanding one of each side so the cross pieces do adhere properly. Time will tell..... Very Happy
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:41 pm

Good stuff Chancey, I'm enjoying your thread.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:04 pm

Ok. So as planned, as I am a slow builder such as I get easily distracted, I got a little progress. Thank you for the help so far. I did as suggested, and glued the three crosspieces at the top of the cabin / wing area. I pinned them down over the plans with glue on each end then proceeded to place the sides to them, then I pinned the sides down using the 'T' of my 'T' pins. Once dry a couple days later, I did the same with the lower crosspieces. Only then I realized the bottom was NOT flat! D'oh! So I put glue on each of the lower crosspieces then carefully placed them in their respective places in the fuselage. I then pinned it down sideways till the glue dried. I will probably get a couple more done this weekend, but fingers crossed I may just try to get the fueslage done. Here are a couple of pics of where I am at now.

New Hobby???? Free Flight..... 36351110
New Hobby???? Free Flight..... 37010110
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:48 am

Good progress Chancey. I like the way you positioned the T pins. I will have to remember that.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:32 am

Looking good New… Stick and tissue is pretty cool!!…. Just be careful when you get it flying…. The just right little riser and she’ll fly away…. Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:48 pm

Thank you all for the comments. Now off to go add another cross piece or two....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:05 pm

rdw777 wrote:
For just about anything you would ever want to know about rubber powered models, This book by Don Ross covers it….

I got started in rubber FF last year.  My CL club has guys who are really into Sky Bunnies, and got me to build a couple. I also cut out a few of those 'Skinny Bomber" kits for a postal contest a few months ago. They're enthusiastic, but not very knowledgeable on trimming.  I've searched the internet and various sites for trimming tips, but most assume you already know more than just a beginner, so they leave out a lot.  I watch the maxfliart videos, and they're great.  But when he has a video titled "trimming", it's just video of him test flying his planes.  I tried contacting him to see if he'd make a video on basic trim principles, but he's not really interested.  

So, I just ordered Don Ross's book on Amazon.  It's funny.  I read the reviews, and the bad reviews are all along the lines of, "This information is old!  The book must have been written in the 50's or 60's!", or "Your kid has to be a PhD to build a plane from this book!", or the one about "This book only talks about rubber powered planes.  It doesn't cover electric or gas powered planes!  It's garbage and you shouldn't waste your money!"

Yes, the information is old.  That's why the book is so good.  It has knowledge that's been forgotten by the club flyers over the last 60 years with their new-fangled electronics and electrickery power.  And that's why I want it.  I can build very well.  I can fly control line and RC.  But I've never had a FF mentor and have no one I can turn to in my area.

As a plug, the maxfliart videos are great.  His Free Flight Basics series is must-watch material.  Especially his video on making oval fuselages on a jig:

The Not Quite Old Enough Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:19 am

I'm fortunate to have a few of the old timers left in my club. Many of them fly at Lakehurst, New Jersey where the Hindenburg disaster occurred. They fly indoor rubber there. Other members fly free flight gas at a sod field not far from there. My son has quickly picked up this talent and he's quite amazing in trimming out a model. It really surprises me how quick he can diagnose and resolve. I guess you can't teach a old dog new tricks. I build them he flies them. A few years back, we did a demo at the VA home in the auditorium. Unfortunately, a few models got stuck in the bar joists which we had to retrieve. The lighting in there gives off heat and the models would rapidly climb once they flew over the lights. We had a few rubber models towing banners and the US flag. I certainly got excited over seeing this it was really spectacular.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:37 am

Looking Good New222 , take ur time wee are not in a hurry Leaves , Yes old is much better if you want full instructions and better info even get a laugh now and then Laughing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:29 am

All this talk excites me into considering winter building, one of my rubber powered kits that I have stashed away for so long.
New Hobby???? Free Flight..... 2023-114
My spreadsheet of unbuilt rubber powered model aircraft

"sin constuir" is Spanish for unbuilt. This is for "mis modeles aviones de propulsado por el motor de goma" (my rubber powered model airplanes). Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:55 am

George, I recently built a p-30 rubber kitted by R/N models. I believe this was Bill and Jean Shive of Penn Valley Hobbies. They owned a warehouse around the corner from the hobby shop. They manufactured rubber powered kits that were usually out of production. One in particular though was called the Hobbit. I built it and it covered beautifully. Unfortunately, it doesn't fly. I don't know why. I've tried everything. It spirals upwards almost hanging on the prop. What I think it needs is more rubber. I also built a Guillows Lancer which I'm going to install a capacitor motor in. I think this is going to be really neat.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:04 pm

Ken, it was may be a decade ago that I was in personal contact through the Ebay messaging system with Bill Shive. Then, he and I believe Jean were still alive, his Penn Valley Hobby Store was closed but he was clearing remaining items through his Ebay store. Prior, over the years I bought by mail order various items from his store. On Ebay, I bought a number of items from him to include engine parts, propellers (think that is where I got the Plastikote 7x2 woods plus other props) and other items from him, lovely Christian couple.

He along with the late Joe Wagner, Ken Willard, William "Bill" Winter, Tom Runge, and etc. who I wrote at various time and received correspondence from were such wonderful people, always friendly, willing to help, good promoters of the fun in building and flying model airplanes of all types.

They are all part of a by-gone era that I was blessed to be a part of.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:42 pm

So, I just ordered Don Ross's book on Amazon.

That’s great Mark, I know you will enjoy it….. After going thru it you’ll whup up on your flying buddies at impromptu free flight contests Thumbs Up

A quick trimming reference from Air Trails magazine, Old but still viable IMO….

New Hobby???? Free Flight..... A8101210
New Hobby???? Free Flight..... 7a44ad10
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:03 pm

rdw777 wrote:So, I just ordered Don Ross's book on Amazon.

That’s great Mark, I know you will enjoy it….. After going thru it you’ll whup up on your flying buddies at impromptu free flight contests Thumbs Up

A quick trimming reference from Air Trails magazine, Old but still viable IMO….

Woo Hoo! The book came last night! I'll enjoy reading it cover to cover.

That trimming guide is better than all the advice I've gotten so far. Saved. The question is, do I print copies of the trim guide to help the other club members? Or keep it to myself to look like a trimming genius and make them jealous?

The Emancipated Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:42 pm

Well Mark, Since you have taken the initiative I think you do all the dark magic for your own first for awhile and show ‘em how it’s done…..Then later being the good folk modelers are you can spill the beans …. Very Happy … You may get a little nerdy like me and start checking all your balsa sheets against the weight chart on page 11 and mark them accordingly LOL!!!…..

Hey I’ve got a sort of Free Flight/ General aviation question for anyone that might know…. I have a Guillows # 501   P-40 …. I’ve seen it in pre-war colors only on the box art below…(Bob may have posted that?)….Anyone know of any online photos or references to it in this color scheme?….I really haven’t found much….If I ever build it would be nice to have some photo examples of full scale for reference….

New Hobby???? Free Flight..... 94fa3210
New Hobby???? Free Flight..... 1974a910
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:29 am

rdw777 wrote:Hey I’ve got a sort of Free Flight/ General aviation question for anyone that might know…. I have a Guillows # 501   P-40 …. I’ve seen it in pre-war colors only on the box art below…(Bob may have posted that?)….Anyone know of any online photos or references to it in this color scheme?….I really haven’t found much….If I ever build it would be nice to have some photo examples of full scale for reference….

Searched but no success. It may be an imaginary color scheme, because there is no information about #106 other than camouflaged scheme:

https://johnniepetachavg.com/2013/04/24/p40-106-panda-bear-squadron/

Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:14 am

Thanks for looking into that Levent, I’m surprised you even found “106”….Maybe if there ever were any photos of P-40 pre war color schemes they have disappeared into obscurity….Or like you say, Was someone’s imagination….Looks good on that plane though…

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next