Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper Cox_ba12

J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by layback209 Yesterday at 11:48 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper Empty
Live on Patrol

J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper

Go down

J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper Empty J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:53 am

Over the years it has saved me many times and I always keep some on hand.  From repairing auto parts to model engine case's it is an acceptable repair.  

When I got this last Cox chainsaw I noticed that the bottom screw attaching the starter rope assembly was missing.  No big deal, I have replacements.  But when I was putting it back together I found that not only was the machine screw missing but the boss that it went into was broken off and missing also.  This part is under a lot of stress when used so it has to be fixed.  

Found a 8/32 nut and J.B'd it in place with scotch tape backing it up on the under side.  I used enough product to partially fill the boss and let it cure over-night.  Dressed it up this morning with a half-round file and put it back together.

J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper P1016426

J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper P1016421
J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper P1016423
J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper P1016422
J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper P1016424
J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper P1016425
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper Empty Re: J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper

Post  rdw777 Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:43 am

I always keep some on hand as well, Good stuff!!….Can be worked nearly like metal but easier…. Drilled, filed, even tapped and threaded in some instances…. Makes a good material to add back the missing piece of a part that been broken off sometimes …
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper Empty Re: J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper

Post  andrew Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:15 am

Yup!! While many companies have slick advertising hype, many of their products are mostly hat and no cowboy. JB Weld, and the other associated adhesives from their company, always seem to do the job!

One of my entertainment hobbies is buying HO locomotives that are either "tore up, wore out or no count" (read that "as junk") and trying to get them running again. JB Weld makes a "Plastic Bonder" that works well in getting some of the poly frames back together. It may well have some uses in this hobby, too.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:20 pm

Andrew, we share an obsession.  "One of my entertainment hobbies is buying HO locomotives that are either "tore up, wore out or no count""

It's what I do, or used to do.  ebay, flea markets, garage sales, etc.  Same as my model planes and engines, I bought the worst I could find and attempted repairs.  Not always successful, but always fun.  

Mostly cast - belt drive (coil spring, 3 speed pullys) Varneys.  Antiques really, '30's/'40's.

J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper P1016427

but I did others too.

J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper P1016429
J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper P1016428
J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper P1016430
J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper P1016433

J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper P1016431

But....chainsaw.  This one (far right) about put me in the ground.  After doing three, you would think I knew what I was doing.  Not so, from memory and all the fillister head screws look alike except they are of different lengths, talking 1/4" and less.  Lot's of room for mistakes, and I made many.  Took it all apart at least three times.  

J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper P1016432

As bought

J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper Chains12

Last edited by rsv1cox on Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:28 pm

Good work Bob.

Two part epoxy is a great invention as like as cyanoacrylate glue.

Modelers use a great variety of adhesives and other chemicals and without them modeling would be very difficult. Cellulose glue, epoxy, cyanoacrylate glue, plastic cement, PVA adhesive, aliphatic glue, glue stick, dope, spray paints, acrylic paints, contact cement and so on.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:38 pm

Levent Suberk wrote:Good work Bob.

Two part epoxy is a great invention as like as cyanoacrylate glue.

Modelers use a great variety of adhesives and other chemicals and without them modeling would be very difficult. Cellulose glue, epoxy, cyanoacrylate glue, plastic cement, PVA adhesive, aliphatic glue, glue stick, dope, spray paints, acrylic paints, contact cement and so on.

As you know there is a whole science and industry built around them.  Sticky, not so sticky.  From band-aids to the space capsule.............
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:26 pm

It's a great satisfying feeling; to fix something yourself.. that most people would discard.. because they don't know how to fix things. Laughing Laughing you know?

I was buzzing my head just the other day, with a Conair brand elec. trimmer that we've had for probably 15 years. It started acting intermittent which turned out to be a wire fracture at the stress-relief going into the casing. Disassembly was straight-forward and only required a #1 Phillips driver. I cut-back the wire and spliced it back with butt connectors and heat-shrink. A short length of vinyl tube zip-tied for a replacement stress-relief. Test---good for a few more haircuts at least...
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:47 am

A good JB weld tip. Using a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol can neatly clean up any residual mess and make the area very smooth. Don't over do it, it takes just a little.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:30 am

I used it on this modified .020 backplate to fill in unused holes and voids…. Cleaned really good with alcohol first …. Filed, drilled, and sanded smooth….Holding up well after several oz’s of fuel thru the engine…..

J.B. Weld - The quicker fixer-upper E6a10810
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down