Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox .051 Tee Dee Repair Cox_ba12

Cox .051 Tee Dee Repair Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Yesterday at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox .051 Tee Dee Repair Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox .051 Tee Dee Repair

Go down

Happy Cox .051 Tee Dee Repair

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:27 pm

Some of you may recall that last March, I had purchased a used Tee Dee .051 with a plastic RTF power pod for R/C glider use:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t17192-thrust-angle-for-a-power-pod#222326

Cox .051 Tee Dee Repair Cox_0510

Today with the blowing snow in Clovis in blizzard conditions, I started on disassembling the engine for repair. To remove the prop thrust plate, I simply backed it off by loosening the venturi retainer collar (nut) with the Cox wrench. It cooperated quite nicely without due force.

Cox .051 Tee Dee Repair 2024-013

Then using combination pliers, destructively twisted off the old non-repairable plastic venturi body.

Cox .051 Tee Dee Repair 2024-014

The engine is in good condition, has very good compression. Previous owner had 2 glow head gaskets installed, head is higher compression Tee Dee. But, the top of the piston is heavily carboned. Because the previous owner mounted this only on the power pod, which does not use the side mounting lugs, the holes are extremely clean, like new. The stainless steel prop thrust washer shows evidence of possibly electric starter use, as rubbing my thumbnail over the part polished by the crankcase, there is a slightly worn, polished groove. I don't think this would be present by hand starting with say, a Cox starter spring.

The crankcase shows some aging and can use exterior clean-up. the collar has some light tooling marks from Cox wrench use. I can clean these up with a little aluminum polish.

One thing I do not have is the needle valve ratchet spring, it did not come with the venturi or spring but have the needle valve and spraybar. I checked on E-Bay, the springs are now commanding a premium, say at least $20 plus shipping. I did find a packaged mislabled by Cox spring and needle setup for a reedie but labled for Tee Dee.

Undaunted, I may be able to come up with something that will work.

The brass prop thrust plate was manhandled with a set of pliers, marring it. If I had a lathe, could take off a couple thousandths of an inch off and reuse. But fortunately through a combination of purchases from Cox International and EX Model Engines, I have sufficient parts to restore this engine to perfect running condition.

Once I get the back off and further degreasing / cleaning, I will reset the socket.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy Re: Cox .051 Tee Dee Repair

Post  balogh Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:17 am

I love these rehabilitation projects George, good for you.

The ratchet spring on the NV is a genuine component, but once you add the tight  silicone tube for additional sealing of the NV stem, the spring is no longer needed, because the silicone tube keeps the NV set in place even under vibrating conditions. Anyways, if you still want but do not find the spring, I may send you one by post from Hungary...

For the removal of castor caked on the piston top and on the cylinder inside wall as varnish, I use simple , cold grease remover spray available for kitchen use...works perfect without consuming the cylinder material, unlike mechanical cleaning by the de-varnisher brush...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:14 am

+1 for Balough's silicon tubing recommendation.

I've tried cutting and making my own 'ratchet spring' - after 3 protos, hours and hours of work, a small bit of tubing did exactly the trick.

Also - good on ya for another restoration.
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:49 am

Nice project on a terrible weather day George…. The wind was howling here too!!
The assessment and rehab of your engine is interesting…. On the way to being fully restored and ready to run Thumbs Up …. Good that it had a thrust washer installed, Probably saved the backplate from being damaged….I’ve never owned a TeeDee .049/.051…. But have a .010 and a few .020’s in that series…. Wonderful little engines…
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:09 pm

András' excellent suggestion Thumbs Up confirmed by Charles Thumbs Up is the way I will go. I am more a practicalist than an idealist, deviations to make a solid running engine are the way to go. Flying

Robert, this is my first 0.8 CC Tee Dee. And, because it is the rarer .051 TD has me stoked. Very Happy

Apparently the previous owner got a good bit of use out of it on a glider. I see possibilities with the power pod to even augment a standard R/C for fun.

Here's my Medallion .049 with the custom engine bulkhead mount I got from Kamtechnik a little while ago.

Cox .051 Tee Dee Repair 2024-016

Love the practicality of it, definitely an example of quality precision machining. Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down