Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Before you throw it away...a tip to mend loose aluminum carb threads Cox_ba12

Before you throw it away...a tip to mend loose aluminum carb threads Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 11:51 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Before you throw it away...a tip to mend loose aluminum carb threads Empty
Live on Patrol

Before you throw it away...a tip to mend loose aluminum carb threads

Go down

Before you throw it away...a tip to mend loose aluminum carb threads Empty Before you throw it away...a tip to mend loose aluminum carb threads

Post  balogh Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:39 am

I fly my COX TeeDee020 in the nose of my Roaring 20 RC plane quite often, and while the engine itself is in perfect condition after many tens of hours of airtime, the thread for the NV in its aluminum carb has been shaken by vibrations loose such, that the force of the spring on the NV pushed  the it out from the carb.

After a quick order placed with Matt for a replacement carb, and knowing the goodies will not arrive in less than 2-3 weeks from overseas, I scratched my head for an instant DIY repair idea. Not too many have come across, but finally, before I threw the aluminum carb away, I gave it a chance and tried to carefully swage/taper its soft aluminum, threaded nipple with a matching opening of a wire stripper scissor, after  screwing the NV in completely.  I was hoping the even, circumferential force of the wire stripper opening will add a uniform/uniradial taper rather than pushing it oval like a normal pliers would.

A few mild squeezes later while rotating the threaded end between two squeezes, then repeating it a mm or so lower on the threaded nipple, nearer to the carb, not only grab the aluminum threads of the carb  the NV again, but the NV sits slightly tight even without the spring, and with a silicone tube pulled on the NV and the threaded end, I have a perfectly refurbished aluminum carb.

Not nice nor elegant, but this poo'man's trick helped get a worn, stock part refurbished and returned to service. (The author is proudly patting his own shoulders   cheers )

Before you throw it away...a tip to mend loose aluminum carb threads 20240110

Before you throw it away...a tip to mend loose aluminum carb threads 20240111
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Before you throw it away...a tip to mend loose aluminum carb threads Empty Re: Before you throw it away...a tip to mend loose aluminum carb threads

Post  706jim Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:56 am

It's nice to see that someone is getting "tens of hours" out of these little engines, too many of which just sit on the shelf.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Before you throw it away...a tip to mend loose aluminum carb threads Empty Re: Before you throw it away...a tip to mend loose aluminum carb threads

Post  rdw777 Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:10 am

Nice save on the carb body Andras!….I like the thought that if a part is worn to a point that it no longer useful to try and repair or modify rather than to throw it way…. No harm in being more aggressive if it no longer works anyway….. Looks as though the hard needle sort of served as a tap while the soft aluminum was compressed around it… Nice Very Happy

Glad you’re getting to fly often, I look forward to it about once per week…. Also the longevity reports on your engines…. Encouraging Thumbs Up
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:18 am

Jim, Robert, thank you. Yes, I am trying to fly as often as winter weather is permitting..the several tens of hours is just peanuts for a COX engine..you may have heard of COX's longevity experiment that lasted for 400 hrs after the engine was started. The critter still ran, though needed an electric starter to restart..

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7979-larry-renger-s-everything-you-need-to-know-about-running-cox-engines
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:15 pm

balogh wrote:Jim, Robert, thank you. Yes, I am trying to fly as often as winter weather is permitting..the several tens of hours is just peanuts for a COX engine..you may have heard of COX's longevity experiment that lasted for 400 hrs after the engine was started. The critter still ran, though needed an electric starter to restart..

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7979-larry-renger-s-everything-you-need-to-know-about-running-cox-engines

At 65 Andras you're about where I was at 14/15. Build all night, fly all day. I couldn't wait to get out there. Interupted by Navy and marriage then relived again at about 40. Died away again for a few years until I discovered R/C and larger control line models. Now I live the experience through you and others here. Thanks for sharing your tips and flying adventures.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:37 pm

Thanks, Bob, having retired last November after 42 years of obsession and constant focus for my job now allows me to play my hobby more intensely, and freely than before...lots of airtime in my plans...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:52 am

great tip Andras cheers all of my carb bodies for moy TDs are worn and near impossible to tune these days. I will try your tip. It might get me through to when Bernie has the new TD NVBs available. I Love This Forum!
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:11 am

Hi Yabbi,

my solution is validated by many flights since then...just remember to fully screw the NV in before you "swage" the alu nipple with the cable stripper, lightly
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:51 am

thanks Andras. Thumbs Up noted and will do. Beer Cheers
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down