Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

control line P-38 Cox_ba12

control line P-38 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by Boats13 Today at 12:43 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:08 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

control line P-38 Empty
Live on Patrol

control line P-38

Go down

control line P-38 Empty control line P-38

Post  Ken Cook Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:39 am

Many here seem to like the P-38. I came across this photo of one that my friend built. Bob, I know your a fan of these. This particular plane is quite large. The wingspan is almost 70". It's powered by two Enema .35's (Round venturi  style). I've found that the square venturi style seems to run a bit stronger. It flies like a cinderblock but it certainly present well. It weighs a lot, in excess of 88 ounces. It has no wing area and the controls are setup way too fast. However, it does offer the cool factor.
https://phillyflyerscl.wixsite.com/philly-fliers/gallery?lightbox=dataItem-irm9nsiz3
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

control line P-38 Empty Re: control line P-38

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:38 am

A monster for sure Ken but with "cool factor".

Contrasted.

control line P-38 Ff_sm_11

I went through all the pictures and a few caught my eye.

control line P-38 Ff_mag10
   control line P-38 Ff_a-110
   control line P-38 Ff_ken10
   control line P-38 Ff_fie10
   control line P-38 Ff_spe10
   control line P-38 Ff_rub10

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:40 am

Ha Ha! Another photo for my CEFFA.. (CEF Family Album)

control line P-38 Ken_an11

control line P-38 Ken_an10

control line P-38 Ken_an10

So great that you and your son share the same passion!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:42 am

Wow, that picture of the PT-19 is memorable. I haven't seen that picture in YEARS!!! I don't save pictures and that was one I really enjoyed. That was close to 20 years ago. That was taken at Palisades Park. The plane itself is quite a treasure and my son still owns it. My buddy Dan was on the USS Forrestal, his squadron was the last of the F-4 Phantoms and then it was Tomcats. Dan built this PT-19 on the ship. He shared a bunk and he said he would flip the bunk down and use it as a building table. He didn't complete the plane on the ship. I met Dan when I was 13 years old and he was flying this plane. It was handed to several people. I ended up with it years later and it was a oil soaked mess. I totally rebuilt the fuselage and much of the wing. I gifted it to my son in which he flew this plane from beginner to expert. I've never personally flew this plane since I rebuilt it. Shawn flies it and it's his in which even today he can fly a very impressive pattern with it. Power is a Brodak .40, the very first version and it's never been out of the plane. One flip starts ALWAYS.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:17 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Wow, that picture of the PT-19 is memorable. I haven't seen that picture in YEARS!!! I don't save pictures and that was one I really enjoyed.

I save everything Ken.. (just ask Lynne..)

IMHO..the design looks like it was created for a semi-scale class.. Semi mainly because the central-pod is a profile representation. Yea.. the booms are too.. but the air-scoops are eye-candy! I need to add them to my model.

control line P-38 20240212

I'd love to see that model flying Ken. A "Balloon-Burst" would be a great contest/exhibition for it.

Do you know anything about the bellcrank-mounting/location.. and which side (boom) the pushrod is on? Looks to be on the inside of the inboard boom. Do I also see a wing flap-horn in that area?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:55 pm

The P-38 uses a single pushrod which is problematic. It causes the central flap and elevator to twist when you need it the most. My F-82 Mustang uses a 3/8" hard balsa main flap with centrally located control horn, then two pushrods are utilized running down each boom to the elevator. I found some footage of the P-38 and my F-82 flying. Rusty was there as well. Rusty loved it and he was super excited. Rusty is in the red flannel in the beginning sitting on the corner of the picnic table. This was the end of the Huntersville, NC contest. We really were supposed to be getting cleaned up when we decided to put them both up. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to get a second flight. At about 2:01 my son is inverted and drops right down in front of Dan with about 1" between the two. I have to say, he has some brass ones because I surely wouldn't of done that. I also don't have the skill to do that with such a large plane.  I do remember Dan going WHOA!!!!! which made me laugh.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-LRl6y9MP0
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:26 pm

Ken Cook wrote:The P-38 uses a single pushrod which is problematic. It causes the central flap and elevator to twist when you need it the most. My F-82 Mustang uses a 3/8" hard balsa main flap with centrally located control horn, then two pushrods are utilized running down each boom to the elevator. I found some footage of the P-38 and my F-82 flying. Rusty was there as well. Rusty loved it and he was super excited. Rusty is in the red flannel in the beginning sitting on the corner of the picnic table. This was the end of the Huntersville, NC contest. We really were supposed to be getting cleaned up when we decided to put them both up. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to get a second flight. At about 2:01 my son is inverted and drops right down in front of Dan with about 1" between the two. I have to say, he has some brass ones because I surely wouldn't of done that. I also don't have the skill to do that with such a large plane.  I do remember Dan going WHOA!!!!! which made me laugh.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-LRl6y9MP0

Yup.. that was CLOSE! and I saw ol' Rusty there with a front-row seat at the picnic table! I miss him.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Onelife Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:49 am

That was close you make it look easy
Onelife
Onelife
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:06 pm

Roddie , you might also like this video. The Dyna Jet Stunter in the above picture "Stunt Loudus" is no longer. It went to Dyna Jet heaven. I launched it some time ago and about 1 minute into the flight, the outboard wing came off. The plane was violently going up and down and surprisingly it didn't crash. However, when Dan repaired it, something inside jammed up the bellcrank during launch at the NATS two months later. It went into a wingover and KAPLOOEY!!!! on the other side. Dan has since built another. Another member of our club Mike built a F-86 Dyna Jet Stunter and they flew them two up at Brodak's. These things are loud, I mean obscenely loud and two of them is horrific. I think they're neat but after launching them and seeing them fly, the glitter wears off real quick. I'm around enough loud stuff all day long. I don't need things that loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUcfD3BebPg
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:51 pm

Ken , they may be loud , but the sure are cool
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:30 am

My Sterling P38 Enya .15 x2 maiden flight

https://youtu.be/jTqwj8Ehv5Y?si=SPrvYhWEQzTUhY2X

Last edited by Jerry on Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional info)
Jerry
Jerry
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:46 pm

Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:18 pm

I like your sense of humor Ken. I saw your picture had a little smile and shed a little tear, I know the work that goes into those.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:47 pm

Bob, this incident was a result of me. The night before, I rolled the plane on my floor to see how the plane was tracking. It was rolling inboard so I tweaked the gear to bend it outward. After a few attempts, I resolved it and it was rolling like it should. However, during the tweaking process I heard a unwanted crack that I wasn't liking. The gear on these is not a great setup. You make a notch in the fuse to bury the wire and it goes straight up and then turns at a 90 which protrudes through the fuse. When I tweaked it, the 90 deg bend broke through the fuse and was now in the travel area of the bellcrank. This didn't appear to be a problem initially until it took off. Things went well and I saw my son's expression indicating a problem. I built another but I recently gave it away. I have one left in the box so I may do another. The design of these are quite poor. You cover the wing and then glue the fuse onto the wing, there's no sheeting in and around the fuselages. This doesn't allow for covering the model after and it doesn't offer enough rigidity to prevent the fuselages from vibrating. They're really only glued to the leading and trailing edge and the covering. A bad design that requires some rework to build properly.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:51 am

Ken Cook wrote:   control line P-38 Image211
My Sterling P-38
Ouch! That rekitted itself rather quickly. Shocked
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:09 am

George, the engines were two OS MAX-10's. A very complimentary pair of engines for this plane.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:23 am

excellent thread ken. Thumbs Up I really enjoyed reading the posts and watching the videos. cheers I Love This Forum!
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:52 am

That was exciting to watch two P-38s fling together it takes skill to keep from sticking the other . And the jets are very loud I am with Ken on the loud stuff my ears ring most the time as it is Mad Never flew a twin engine but looks and sounds Fun ! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down