Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Inspect your Cox black 5x3 propellers Cox_ba12

Inspect your Cox black 5x3 propellers Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:24 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 7:20 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Inspect your Cox black 5x3 propellers Empty
Live on Patrol

Inspect your Cox black 5x3 propellers

Go down

Shocked Inspect your Cox black 5x3 propellers

Post  Ken Cook Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:20 am

Yesterday my son and I were dusting off some cobwebs and flew a little 1/2A combat. Norvel .061 powered, not really 1/2A but we use them because these can fly equal to high powered ball bearing .049's. Regardless, I prefer bushed engines because if you have a ground strike with a ball bearing engine, your going to wipe it out if you restart it and go back in the air. A bushed engine can quickly be flushed with a syringe of fuel whereas a ball bearing engine pushes the debris into the bearing cage.

In general, most of us have experienced the dreaded small stress cracks in the Cox black props. For those unaware, flex the prop hard back on itself and look closely to reveal spider webs of crack perpendicular to the blade. You can audibly hear this as well when flexed. I usually offer a quick bend prior to running and inspect for both. Yesterday, I didn't do this because I was using a prop I've used for quite some time.

All went well, both planes up in the air but I heard a vibration coming from one of them and couldn't quite pin point which. Within about a minute and half, a very bad noise came from my son's plane and it essentially came to a complete stall in the air. It made about 1 lap making this noise and he intentionally stuffed it in. Upon landing, one blade was completely missing while the other essentially fell off when I flexed it. No damage other then the prop thankfully. The point is, due to the planes sitting for some time, I spent a fair amount of time with my head around those props tuning them. That could've resulted in a major injury.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Shocked Re: Inspect your Cox black 5x3 propellers

Post  Yabby Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:59 am

great warning and advice Ken. thanks. I will check my props as you advised in future. I always wear sunglasses when starting and running engines as some level of protection, but had never thought about how to check the prop. This Site Rocks!
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:50 am

I've worn eyeglasses for decades. I have "Lazy Eye" (my left). A condition where, at birth; the brain recognizes only one eye to focus. The other eye has blurred-vision, but is otherwise perfectly healthy. If I had or rather; if my parents had forced me to wear an eye-patch when I was little, the condition could have been corrected. Once past early childhood, those chances are less. Later in life; an eye doctor told me that he hadn't known of a case that was corrected past age 12. He also told me that; although I didn't need a corrective lens for my "good" eye.. that I should consider wearing eyeglasses with Plano lenses.. to protect my good eye. "Loosing sight in that eye will change your life dramatically.." he said.

Fast forward a few years.. and I started wearing "readers" to correct my near-sight.. and eventually needed a prescription lens. Contact lenses are "off the table" though.. because they don't offer the protection of eyeglasses.

I always wear safety-glasses with side-shields whenever I run my model engines.. and when using tools.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:19 am

Glad no one got hurt ,Thanks i will pre flight check mine next time running one . Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down