Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Need help identifying this vintage .19/.35 stunter Cox_ba12

Need help identifying this vintage .19/.35 stunter Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 5:02 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Need help identifying this vintage .19/.35 stunter Empty
Live on Patrol

Need help identifying this vintage .19/.35 stunter

Go down

Need help identifying this vintage .19/.35 stunter Empty Need help identifying this vintage .19/.35 stunter

Post  roddie Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:15 pm

It's been suggested that this is a Veco model.. and I'll admit; it does look like one. Note the Ambroid cement used in its construction. Looks like the rudder is MIA.....

Thanks in advance!

Need help identifying this vintage .19/.35 stunter Fb_img34

Need help identifying this vintage .19/.35 stunter Fb_img36

Need help identifying this vintage .19/.35 stunter Fb_img35

Need help identifying this vintage .19/.35 stunter Fb_img37
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Need help identifying this vintage .19/.35 stunter Empty Re: Need help identifying this vintage .19/.35 stunter

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:48 pm

Roddie, nice thing about that model is that it would be very easy to restore it to its former glory. I did a search for "Veco" on Outerzone, came up with Scout, Warrior earlier single seat version, and Squaw. Although they show the Veco heritage reflected in your model example, none seems to hit it directly.

What is its wingspan? I think a few more dimensional specifics (wing chord, wheel diameter, bellcrank size, etc.) would help the community nail it down.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Need help identifying this vintage .19/.35 stunter Empty Re: Need help identifying this vintage .19/.35 stunter

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:23 pm

What you have there is known as the Heinz 57. See the wingtip, it says CL-20 with the letters ER in front of it. That's a Sig Akromaster wing and possibly two of them. The body does look like a Veco Squaw but it didn't have provisions for inverted engine mounting like the removable bottom block is on this model.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:06 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Roddie, nice thing about that model is that it would be very easy to restore it to its former glory. I did a search for "Veco" on Outerzone, came up with Scout, Warrior earlier single seat version, and Squaw. Although they show the Veco heritage reflected in your model example, none seems to hit it directly.

What is its wingspan? I think a few more dimensional specifics (wing chord, wheel diameter, bellcrank size, etc.) would help the community nail it down.

Thanks George. It's a Facebook group (Control Line Enthusiasts) inquiry. Fuse length is a reported 23".. and W/S is 34". That's all I know thus far. It looks VERY MUCH like a Veco Scout.. except that the Veco Scout is a 1/2A model (full-fuse..) with a 25.75" W/S.

It doesn't seem to be a "Veco" model.. although it looks a LOT like the Scout. Who else kitted full-fuse/scale-like Stunters... back in the 50's?

Wondering if maybe.. it's a scaled-up version of the Scout.. that was maybe.. featured in one of the then-popular Aero-Modeling magazines.. along with a construction article.

These things happen..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:03 pm

Ken Cook wrote:         What you have there is known as the Heinz 57. See the wingtip, it says CL-20 with the letters ER in front of it. That's a Sig Akromaster wing and possibly two of them. The body does look like a Veco Squaw but it didn't have provisions for inverted engine mounting like the removable bottom block is on this model.

I had a feeling that you'd be able to shed some light on this Ken. Any thoughts on what the fuse might be from.. for a rudder ID?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:22 am

Just about all of the Veco designs were based on one similar design. The differences being size, cockpits, etc. I have built the Warrior, the Squaw, Tomahawk. Some flew better than others. The Papoose fits this wingspan the closest. The Papoose also was designed around a inverted engine.

Some had flaps, some didn't but a common problem with them is the undersize wingspan. The Chief took care of that but they didn't increase the airfoil thickness enough.Nonetheless, I still feel it flies pretty decent provided you keep it light.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 am

Clever guy joining two different airplanes together, the result of a crash maybe?  I see signs of brilliance, and signs of not so.  The bellcranks attachments for instance.  

I did that once, joined a horizontal stab from a Mambo R/C plane onto a profile fuselage of my own design and powered it with an Enya .09 or was it .15.  Result was not impressive.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:37 am

rsv1cox wrote:I did that once, joined a horizontal stab from a Mambo R/C plane onto a profile fuselage of my own design and powered it with an Enya .09 or was it .15.  Result was not impressive.
Used the elevator as a C/L half-A wing? Or another plane's R/C or F/F tail?

Mambo had a lifting tail with its flat bottom modified Clark-Y rib section, which shifted CG location back. Was a little tricky to get it right.

Hal DeBolt used it on some of his rudder only cabin R/C's, (.049 Livewire Kitten was one). Frank Zaic also used it on a few of his trainers. He did not use it on the Airco kit I got, R/C Aero Star, bigger "A" size of the half-A Lark, but used it on the Aero-9 trainer.

I think the philosophy was to prevent the airplane from porpoising when turning, as once the aircraft entered a bank, rudder then would lift the tail, causing it to build speed, which would zoom and stall. It was to inhibit this by lifting the tail during zoom.

Sterling Minnie Mambo had a symmetrical elevator rib section instead, it was one of the stunting-est planes around, could do two loops with a good spiral dive.

So, I can see how you could have had problems with Mambo's lifting elevator.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down