Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Blood, the real kind......It's been years Cox_ba12

Blood, the real kind......It's been years Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Cribbs74 Yesterday at 10:52 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 5:36 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:34 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Tue May 07, 2024 7:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Blood, the real kind......It's been years Empty
Live on Patrol

Blood, the real kind......It's been years

Go down

Blood, the real kind......It's been years Empty Blood, the real kind......It's been years

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 pm

since I have brought any of the red stuff to the surface.  Probably about seventy years since I cut a finger or a wrist by a swinging propeller in my early teens.  

As usual being stupid.  Age may bring wisdom but it doesn't make you any smarter.  Sad

Kind of a long story that entails two identical transmitters.  The Parkzone T-28 (another thread) has gotten both me and my son interested in R/C again.  

Readers know of my affection for the Navy's AD-6 (later A1) attack airplane, I was in ATKRON 35 in my early Navy days '56/'57.  Big airplane with the big Wright Cyclone sitting up front. None bigger.  Used in WW2 bombers.  The pilots loved them.  I have Cox and Wen Mac examples and five Airfield foam made in China R/C models.  High quality four channels that are so well conceived and finished.  

Anyway.........they have been packed away for years so I got two of them out and charged the batteries (B-25 too but that's another story).  The transmitters look identical except one is a four channel, the other six which should have given me an indication..........but didn't.  That stupid thing!

Batteries charged and test time.  I was kneeling in front of the plane as the front is rather beefy and the tail section not and is subject to damage.  

I turned the first transmitter on ensuring the throttle was at zero then connected the planes battery.  Nothing!  So I tried the second transmitter but forgot about setting the throttle to zero, connected the planes battery (there is no on/off switch) and it just took off inches through my sweats and into my knee.  Immediate blood, sweats do not provide much protection.  Smeared the blood when I rolled up my pants later cleaned off with 91% alcohol (ouch) revealing three nice slices.  Never doubt the power of electrics.  Broke off one of the three prop blades.

Notice the now two bladed prop.  Sad

Blood, the real kind......It's been years Knee10
Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017346
Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017347

Not giving up I found a Windsor prop with the same specs., bushed it to fit the smaller shafts electric and installed it.. Being careful, notice restraints, I gave it a second chance.  Amazed at the power of these electrics, and more so as there is no wobble or vibration.

Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017349
Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017348
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Blood, the real kind......It's been years Empty Yikes!!

Post  Boats13 Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:50 pm

There is supposed to  be a safety interlock on the ESC that prevents the prop from turning, until after the throttle is zeroed... none of mine will start until I push it down. It just beeps once. Then when I zero the throttle it beeps three times, to let me know it armed the throttle.  I actually make sure my throttle is at least half or full, so it won't arm while I am checking control surface movement. Man, that looks painful, sir!  1994 was my last prop strike. TeeDee  .049. I slipped the first flip and it kicked over. I was not paying enough attention. Started right up, when it finished with my finger. I was flipping with my left hand.Blood, the real kind......It's been years 17117410

Sorry to see that, Mr. Bob.

CT
Boats13
Boats13
Silver Member
Silver Member

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Blood, the real kind......It's been years Empty Re: Blood, the real kind......It's been years

Post  Boats13 Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 pm

Meant to say hope it heals up fast!
How do you like the Airfield planes, other than the mean-ness of them?! There's a fella on evilBay that has a couple of P-40's (my weakness) but he wants $300 for them. It seemed a bit excessive, to me.
I won't fly with the supplied radio and receiver. I would put a frSky stabilized receiver in it and use my MicroStar2000 converted Kraft Single Stick. I've been flying Mode 5 since 1993. Just getting back into it in the last 3 years, slowly. I've been strangely happy with the convenience of electric. But, I dearly miss the smell of nitro and diesel and that scream. Nothing but an Allison or Merlin comes close to that scream of a Cox unloading to MAX RPM in a shallow dive going the length of the runway and pulling up and around again!

CT
Boats13
Boats13
Silver Member
Silver Member

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Blood, the real kind......It's been years Empty Re: Blood, the real kind......It's been years

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:33 pm

Thanks CT, healing up fast.  Considering my usual injuries it's just a scratch albiet three of them.  I'm a stupid but tough old bird.  

Yes, I love the Airfield line of R/C airplanes.  Especially the B-25 fully equipped, red/right returning lights, super bright landing lights, retracts, name it.  I'm no longer in flat Florida and a member of a flying club, here in mountainous West Virginia I have not flown it.  Just taxied it around the driveway, lifting it off and cutting the throttle.  Still a blast.  Just no place around here with room to fly it.

Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017351
Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017350

$300 even for two sounds like to much.  I have the similiar sized BF-109 that I bought for around $80 NIB, but I don't think they are still available.

Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017352

The AD-6's came in two styles and prices.  Both extremely well presented and packed.  Notice the difference in the landing gear and the four vs. three bladed props.

Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017354
Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017355
Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017353

I love this photo:

Blood, the real kind......It's been years A-1h_s10

The "E" symbol in the Navy is awarded for battle effectiveness.

and............I have that same scar, experienced in my teens, also a scary set right over the veins in my wrist while reaching for the needle.  I would think that the vast majority of members here have something similiar.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Boats13 Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:06 pm

Bob,
I'll bet there are PLENTY of scars on here!. Every time I read something by Mr Cook, I want to get a finger count! Holy cow, those engines demand the same respect as a chainsaw at full throttle!!

LoL, try $300 apiece!

I agree, the scale accuracy is amazing. Our cutter owned multiple "E'"s for excellence, but not combat. It was proficiency rating from STAN (standardization) Teams. Only earned it for a complete and cohesive response on every evolution from all departments/teams, Engineering, D/C, Deck, Navigation, Aids to Navigation (buoys and lights- setting and maintenance), etc. Part of that was chainsaw use, lol! Clearing land around land based Lights and Lighthouses. It was tough to earn.

Glad you're healing fast. Those three will leave marks!

CT
Boats13
Boats13
Silver Member
Silver Member

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:46 am

No photos, and no distinguishable scars (because after 48 years of fixing cars full time, everything is scars), But i remember my last prop strike.  Trying to start my OS FS-60 in front of a crowd.  Started peferctly at home with no-one watching, doing it the recommended way of bouncing it backwards off compression.  As the spectators became impatient I ended up rushing the process and forgot about the backwards flip.  First "conventional" flip saw the brand new 12" wood prop catch me across the back of my right index finger, taking out quite a chunk.  "Nothing to see here folks".  Embarassed
(How embarrassing!!).
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:01 am

rsv1cox wrote:I love this photo:
Blood, the real kind......It's been years A-1h_s10

The "E" symbol in the Navy is awarded for battle effectiveness.
Bob, your last photo adds meaning to "taking a dump" or "dropping a load". Reading lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:32 am

The worst I ever witnessed was at Brodak's. A fellow who was on blood thinners received a cut so bad he had to be heli'd from the clinic. It was bad. This was with a inverted engine and reaching under FROM THE FRONT of the running engine to remove the igniter. The cut looked like it spiraled up his entire arm as the plane climbed up it. Why do people do this ? I see this with regular frequency.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:15 am

Smile Smile - Yeah George I would like to know the back story regarding that bomb drop. Viet Nam era, the A1 was very active there.

Yes, healing up nicely. Just to see I reattached the blade with a combination of CA and Testors red. Display only and I marked both sides with a red dot. Centrifical force would send it flying. I think I will nail it to the wall in my workshop as a reminder.

Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017356
Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017357

I still love that model.

Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017358
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:30 am

rsv1cox wrote:Smile Smile - Yeah George I would like to know the back story regarding that bomb drop.  Viet Nam era, the A1 was very active there.  

Yes, healing up nicely.  Just to see I reattached the blade with a combination of CA and Testors red.  Display only and I marked both sides with a red dot.  Centrifical force would send it flying.  I think I will nail it to the wall in my workshop as a reminder.  

Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017356
Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017357

I still love that model.  

Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017358
glad it’s healing Bob , I have not had any prop damage to myself , but have had an exacto knife cut or 3 . That is a nice looking model , looking at one of the real Skyraider pictures here , I had no Idea it was such a big airplane .
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:45 am

Outch Neutral My poor friend it can't be pleasant, I hope it's not too deep But it could be worse it could be a fingers a hand cut harder deeper you had your pants ??? of course if yes it served as protection in some way and save the worse I am surprised that this happened. Normally a good ESC refuses to start when the gas is not in neutral position
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:52 am

davidll1984 wrote:Outch Neutral My poor friend it can't be pleasant, I hope it's not too deep But it could be worse it could be a fingers a hand cut harder deeper you had your pants ??? of course if yes it served as protection in some way and save the worse I am surprised that this happened. Normally a good ESC refuses to start when the gas is not in neutral position

Thanks David, CT too. I will have to look into that. Differences in electronics between the standard and deuxe versions.

Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017359
Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017360
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:30 am

This thread gave me an excuse to dig out some of my Skyradiers.  The Wen Mac example (blue bomb) is exceptional for quality and fit and finish.  Cox offered the Skyraider with standard and blip throttles.  

Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017363
Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017364
Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017365
Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017366
Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017368
Blood, the real kind......It's been years P1017367
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down