Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

what is the most powerful cox .049 - Page 3 Cox_ba12

what is the most powerful cox .049 - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 6:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:32 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

what is the most powerful cox .049 - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

what is the most powerful cox .049

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

what is the most powerful cox .049 - Page 3 Empty Re: what is the most powerful cox .049

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:15 am

I run my .049 engines "in the real world" all the time...

I have heard of road trains, even though we don't have them here locally. I just don't think that they have anything to do with our CL engines. You should at least compare two engines of the same cylinder volume for a comparison...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

what is the most powerful cox .049 - Page 3 Empty Re: what is the most powerful cox .049

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:38 am

Ok,

We really don't need to discuss this further. As to the original post "What is the most powerful Cox .049"

The answer is simple.

My .049 is the most powerful, yes Ron Cribbs has the most powerful .049. There I said it. What a relief........

lol!

(just kidding) Wink
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:39 am

This is one of my pet peeve topics because I understand the Torque vs HP relationship. Too many people falsly think HP the one and only definition on the power of a motor and make their decisions about the goodness or worth based on HP only.

Dinsdale is correctly making analogies to explain the USEFULL POWER Band (a measureable not calculated chariteristic called torque)

If peak torque is at 12,000RPM with a spread from 10,000 to drop off at 15,000 on the .049 then the fact that peak HP at 18,700RPM has little comparitive value as by then the tourque has dropped to half its peak

Of course for non throttled engines most of this is just good to know information. But if comparing throttable engines, the better comparison is always torque. The peak is important, but more important is how broad the power band is below peak and until it again falls below peak

Sophisticated modelers are starting to use variable pitch propellers to keep their motors producing peak effeciency providing more thrust while saving fuel and engine wear from max RPM WOT runs
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:55 am

Surfer_kris wrote:I run my .049 engines "in the real world" all the time...

I have heard of road trains, even though we don't have them here locally. I just don't think that they have anything to do with our CL engines. You should at least compare two engines of the same cylinder volume for a comparison...
I only used the truck/Ferrari juxtaposition to illustrate the point, and the point wasn't to become such a literalist. Bringing it back to .049 Cox engines, when you do the diesel mod you usually sacrifice some revs, but the increase in torque allows you to spin a larger prop, and iirc, with more pitch too. That gives a Cox .049 a whole different character. Fewer revs, more torque and, I suspect, more power.

Any'ow, everyone else understood what I what trying to say. It's all yours now - I'm outa here.

EDIT: A couple of you posted whilst I was composing all this. This my last post (no pun intended) on the topic.
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:30 am

fredvon4 wrote:
Of course for non throttled engines most of this is just good to know information.

No argument there...

fredvon4 wrote:
But if comparing throttable engines, the better comparison is always torque. The peak is important, but more important is how broad the power band is below peak and until it again falls below peak

In a car yes the torque is important, but not so much in airplanes. You will use a prop that takes you into the powerband of the engine, and you are then getting the most power out of you engine. Just take a look at the engines used in pylon competitions, if you're not around the 30000 rpm mark with your engine you are left in the dust. You measure the power by taching the engine for a known prop-load. Just like what was done here in the Tach-race a few weeks ago.

Who wants to see a "torque-race" with Babe Bee engines?
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:08 am

Ah now you add an anology of pylon racing and running a engine at WOT max RPM. IIRC most of those guys use a tuned pipe....hummm I wonder how many here know what one is, how it is developed, and what it does to the TORQUE band? Anyone ever ride a 2 stroke dirt bike "on the Pipe"?...real fun to go from 42 to 69 HP in a micro second Very Happy

Not entirely related to what is most powerfull 049 but a signigificant factor is propeller weight as well as diameter and pitch as well as thin vs thick or profile shape

I bet if I had the stuff to measure with, I could run a 049 with same diameter and pitch props to near the same peak RPM but measure different toruque curves and HP calculations
just by changing propeller weight and profile
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:42 am

Pylon, FF, Q500 etc, with or without tuned pipes, are a lot closer closer to CL than trucks and dirt bikes, as I see it. A tuned pipe will also increase the torque if that's what you are after...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:55 am

fredvon4 wrote:
I bet if I had the stuff to measure with, I could run a 049 with same diameter and pitch props to near the same peak RPM but measure different toruque curves and HP calculations
just by changing propeller weight and profile

The prop is an external load, it will not do anything to the torque and power curve of the engine.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:34 am

gcb wrote:Re: the Tee Dee .049 vs the .051...if I remember correctly, the .051 was intended to have the same power so engines could be switched in FF models and compete in both 1/2A and A with the same plane without making trim adjustments.

George

You remember correctly. Looking back, it appears that the FF market was the big driving force in Cox development of PERFORMANCE engines. More then CL & RC it seems.... at least in my circles (pun not intended) 1/2A CL was not a big thing in contest flying.
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Surfer Chris said "The prop is an external load, it will not do anything to the torque and power curve of the engine."

This is not true from a measuring HP point of view. ( the statment is very true about torque and indirectly makes my point)

I assure you given all 6 inch by 3 pitch propellers I can make any given 049 calculate out to differing Peak HP due to the fact some prop designes will spin to max RPM faster or slower than other profile/design

However this more or less proves the point about HP not being a very reliable comparison number. On a engine dyno, generally speaking, all the 6 inch 3 pitch props will have a MEASURED torque band very similar

All this is interesting but still the fact remains no matter how we may agree or disagree on the method or test or the factor we choose to compare, the 049 TD series is torque or HP king over the reed design simply because all IC motors are air pumps and the TD design passes more air per unit of time than any reedy can. This allows a much broader selection of propellers
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:58 pm

Specs are one thing... each engine is different however.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:21 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Sophisticated modelers are starting to use variable pitch propellers to keep their motors producing peak efficiency providing more thrust while saving fuel and engine wear from max RPM WOT runs
Just like a CVT on a car.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Jobe_Pro Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:54 am

Popcorn well I hope I didn't spark all this, Embarassed oops if I did but it is interesting, I have to disagree about this statement
"dinsdale wrote: With respect to reciprocating engines, horsepower (power) is simply a calculated number. Quite meaningless in the real world actually. Power = torque x rpm x K (a constant). maybe not HP so much as prop pitch which is a must know for LC,
So from a LC point of veiw, I guess the other factor is speed, if the engine type, TEE DEE .049 will say, and performance ... and plane model were constant as well as conditions, then the only thing we can change is our gears(the Prop)so it is very important to know what speed a 5x3 turning at 21,000RPM(according to the chart) or a 6x3 turning at 18,500RPM will create.
Jobe_Pro
Jobe_Pro
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jobe_Pro Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:30 pm

Hmm no one has any thoughts, TEE DEE with a 5x3 prop at 21,000 or a 6x3 @18,000RPM, which will give fastest actual air speed,

I know according to the charts Tee Dee makes most power at 21,000 RPM, but what about speed?

So is the answer to maintain sweet spot of max power band of that engine to maintain max speed, so in this case use a 5x3 prop on A TEE DEE ?

And on that note what is sweet spot on the regular Bee's
Jobe_Pro
Jobe_Pro
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:41 pm

The fastest speed will depend on the plane it is in. The 5x3 spinning at a higher rpm will travel faster before you reach the pitch-speed (i.e. the speed at which the prop is not pulling anymore). So on a sleek plane the 5x3 is faster, while on a draggy plane the 6x3 might be faster as it pull stronger at slow forward speed.

On a really sleek plane you would use a 4" pitch though. It's all part of the fun testing for each plane...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jobe_Pro Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:36 pm

I was running TEE DEE on 5-1/4x4 Top Flite Nylon Prop, slim curved tip blade, and had it on the a LiL-Satan on standard length line for regular Bee's and found it was just way to fast to even control it safely.
But the regular 5x3 safe tip prop from cox was running even higher PM then the nylon above.
Jobe_Pro
Jobe_Pro
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3