Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

audio-tach anyone? Cox_ba12

audio-tach anyone? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Irvine Mills .75 replica
by ffkiwi Today at 4:43 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:33 am

» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by balogh Today at 1:06 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by getback Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

audio-tach anyone? Empty
Live on Patrol

audio-tach anyone?

Go down

audio-tach anyone? Empty audio-tach anyone?

Post  roddie Sun May 19, 2024 2:58 pm

Sort of a break-in run.. but curious to know RPM's when leaning-out.. thanks  Smile

Here's a 2nd run that's purely for your entertainment pleasure.. Don't worry.. the engine is ok; contrary to my comments at the end of the vid.

Last edited by roddie on Mon May 20, 2024 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

audio-tach anyone? Empty Re: audio-tach anyone?

Post  F4D Phantom II Sun May 19, 2024 8:06 pm

Hello roddie
                         I picked up 18080 rpm at one point on my audio tach on the first video.

juan
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun May 19, 2024 8:41 pm

F4D Phantom II wrote:Hello roddie
                         I picked up 18080 rpm at one point on my audio tach on the first video.

juan

VERY COOL!!! Cool Cool Cool Thank You!!!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun May 19, 2024 9:53 pm

Hi Roddie,

I still have a couple of those 1/2/A Dubro clips...do you need one? They work well (put on/take off easier) if you assemble with a long 4-40 screw and nut. See how Juan did his in the Dubro clips thread (Best Norvel Starter Clip thread from 4 years ago, last update last month).

I have an Android phone. I use an audio-tach app on it. It runs pretty close to my other tach...one of those cheap hold it near the prop tachs.

Hmmm...maybe I'll load the tach app on my obsolete Moto G5. This way I don't have to work so hard to clean my latest phone.

I suspect there are similar programs for iThingies.

I may try running the audio tach against a PC playback of your videos. It would be cool to see if that works!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun May 19, 2024 11:41 pm

I get 26,889 rpm @ 52 sec in on the 1st. vid.
24,790 on the 2nd vid.

Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon May 20, 2024 7:04 am

audio-tach anyone? Screen55

Roddie, this was shat I audiotached just before the engine suddenly stopped. I suspect in this 2nd vid the crankpin may have been already bent, hence the lower speeds than in the 1st.

At such a speed especially  later, post heyday reedies with slit exhaust  i.e 90's cylinders may have their crankpin broken. This will most likely damage the backplate too like breaking the rim that holds the circlip...been there, seen that, done that...my exceptionally lasting old stock red postage stamp  backplate reedies survived even 28k+ speed on long runs in my Quickie100 ( see my video with such post title) but even some of those ended up with broken pins and damaged backplates..I suggest you use the KB crank, even if their fit in the case is very loose and the radial play is embarrassingly large...I wish Bernie and Matt changed the blueprint for the aftermarket KB cranks, that would help sustain reedie speeds 25+k and higher...I personally do not like the aftermarket KB cranks because of their very sloppy fit.

Contrary to the common belief that loose fit KB shafts help boost engine speed, the radially unsupported shaft will wobble even with the best balanced prop, due to the unbalanced radial forces of the piston rod acting through the pin..a few years back Matt replied to me saying once the aftermarket KB shafts he then had on stock all sold, he will reorder a new run with tighter fit. I am not sure if the currently sold KB shafts have tighter fit, anyway, a properly fit KB shaft could well serve reedie performance experiment with unloaded shafts (e.g. only a  flywheel) like yours, Roddie.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon May 20, 2024 9:43 am

944_Jim wrote:Hi Roddie,

I still have a couple of those 1/2/A Dubro clips...do you need one? They work well (put on/take off easier) if you assemble with a long 4-40 screw and nut. See how Juan did his in the Dubro clips thread (Best Norvel Starter Clip thread from 4 years ago, last update last month).

Jim! Where'd you get all them clips??? lol!     I actually have one N.I.P.... but THANKS for offering!

audio-tach anyone? Cef_9410

I see now how Juan did his. I have some 4-40 X 1"L. cap-screws and a 4-40 tap to do the same mod. Thanks for that info too!!!

audio-tach anyone? Cef_ju10

audio-tach anyone? Cef_ju11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon May 20, 2024 9:49 am

1/2A Nut wrote:I get 26,889 rpm @ 52 sec in on the 1st. vid.
24,790 on the 2nd vid.

Small Cox Logo

Thanks very much Brad!!! Between yours and Andras' readings; looks like the avg. was around 24K. Thumbs Up Babe Bee .049
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon May 20, 2024 9:53 am

roddie did you find the crank pin broken in the engine ? Here is the discussion about the KB > https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10733-killer-bee-crankshaft?highlight=killer+bee
Is that a car engine case and crank ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon May 20, 2024 10:38 am

balogh wrote:

Roddie, this was what I audio-tached just before the engine suddenly stopped. I suspect in this 2nd vid the crankpin may have been already bent, hence the lower speeds than in the 1st.

At such a speed especially  later, post heyday reedies with slit exhaust  i.e 90's cylinders may have their crankpin broken. This will most likely damage the backplate too like breaking the rim that holds the circlip...been there, seen that, done that...my exceptionally lasting old stock red postage stamp  backplate reedies survived even 28k+ speed on long runs in my Quickie100 ( see my video with such post title) but even some of those ended up with broken pins and damaged backplates..I suggest you use the KB crank, even if their fit in the case is very loose and the radial play is embarrassingly large...I wish Bernie and Matt changed the blueprint for the aftermarket KB cranks, that would help sustain reedie speeds 25+k and higher...I personally do not like the aftermarket KB cranks because of their very sloppy fit.

Contrary to the common belief that loose fit KB shafts help boost engine speed, the radially unsupported shaft will wobble even with the best balanced prop, due to the unbalanced radial forces of the piston rod acting through the pin..a few years back Matt replied to me saying once the aftermarket KB shafts he then had on stock all sold, he will reorder a new run with tighter fit. I am not sure if the currently sold KB shafts have tighter fit, anyway, a properly fit KB shaft could well serve reedie performance experiment with unloaded shafts (e.g. only a  flywheel) like yours, Roddie.

Hi Andras, Thanks very much for your input. It was very strange when the engine suddenly stopped in the 2nd vid. It was screaming just prior.. then "sagged" from being leaned too much. It felt like it was seized.. but then loosened-up. I'd never experienced that. I was able to re-start it.. and ran it "rich" for a few seconds and then figured it was better to stop and give it a rest.

Nothing "broke".. but I suppose that there was some damage done. I'll disassemble the engine to inspect and report my findings. The backplate/carb. is of the type that has the "snap-on" plastic ring-type reed-holder. It will be interesting to see if it got damaged. I sourced an excess-stock of them when I sourced the backplate assemblies a few years ago.

audio-tach anyone? Horses10

audio-tach anyone? Cap-st11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon May 20, 2024 11:14 am

getback wrote:roddie did you find the crank pin broken in the engine ? Here is the discussion about the KB > https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10733-killer-bee-crankshaft?highlight=killer+bee
Is that a car engine case and crank ?

Hi Eric, Nothing's "broken".. because I re-started and ran the engine shortly after the incident. The engine was initially a 2nd-hand/late-model Babe Bee.. (slit-exhaust-port/dual-bypass cylinder/single-nipple backplate) See also my original post comments on the engine. HERE

audio-tach anyone? Dsc04316

audio-tach anyone? 20240561

I just swapped-out the 5cc tank-back-end for a choke-tube backplate for testing the velocity-stack/flywheel/heatsink combo.

audio-tach anyone? 20240563

I "do have" a car-engine that rsv1cox (Bob) gave me a while back.. which may be a better choice for running a high-rpm/flywheel application. These recent bench-runs are to help me configure/manage a marine engine conversion.

audio-tach anyone? Cox_0412
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon May 20, 2024 4:17 pm

As a marine engine it will need airflow or water cooling to keep from frying. May I suggest cutting down and drilling out a Pee Wee prop  and using a longer screen to hold it with the flywheel? Just some air flow will allow the engine to survive those test runs.

Last edited by 944_Jim on Mon May 20, 2024 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Test runs)

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Mon May 20, 2024 9:03 pm

Hello roddie
                      I have been messing with the audio app on my phone and finally got a good reading on your second video of 24607 rpm at the end of the video before it quit. My audio tach is not working well. I need another for my i phone.
                                                                                     Juan
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon May 20, 2024 9:09 pm

F4D Phantom II wrote:Hello roddie
                      I have been messing with the audio app on my phone and finally got a good reading on your second video of 24607 rpm at the end of the video before it quit. My audio tach is not working well. I need another for my i phone.
                                                                                     Juan

Thanks Juan!! Yea.. that # is closer to what Brad and Andras measured. BTW... check out my "tear-down" thread if you haven't already. Interesting what I found..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down