Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Big Otto and Bernie's Xtreme .049" !! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

"Big Otto and Bernie's Xtreme .049" !! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Today at 6:25 pm

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by rdw777 Today at 6:11 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Today at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Today at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:47 pm

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 12:44 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:48 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Big Otto and Bernie's Xtreme .049" !! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

"Big Otto and Bernie's Xtreme .049" !!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"Big Otto and Bernie's Xtreme .049" !! - Page 2 Empty Re: "Big Otto and Bernie's Xtreme .049" !!

Post  roddie Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:53 am

I hear ya' Ken.. Much of the late Jan./early Feb. snow has slowly melted over the last few weeks.. and some grass finally starting to show.. only to have it be snowing right now... again. Rolling Eyes There's 1-3" forecasted to accumulate throughout today/tonight for this region.. and temps below freezing for the next several days.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

"Big Otto and Bernie's Xtreme .049" !! - Page 2 Empty Re: "Big Otto and Bernie's Xtreme .049" !!

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:17 am

I stepped outside today only to run back in. The wind is blowing a steady 10-15 which doesn't make flying 1/2A any fun. Typically that translates into 20-25 at our flying field. I find myself always looking at the flags. Call me weird but it makes my decision on what and when to fly. Flags are a great tool and we have some in the background of our flying field that pretty much explains where to do your maneuvers. I find them very helpful especially if I'm flying at a field or place I never have flown before. Seeing that the winds are up and the temps are down this pretty much makes this day a engine running day. I do enjoy that as well. Were really a bunch of nuts standing around looking at engines running on a stand. I find it completely amazing to take a engine for example which has been sitting around for 40 years or more and watch it light up. I don't know why we do this, but I do enjoy it. Once the tank runs out were all standing around chuckling saying stuff like THAT WAS COOL!!!!!!
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:46 am

Ken Cook wrote:            I stepped outside today only to run back in. The wind is blowing a steady 10-15 which doesn't make flying 1/2A any fun. Typically that translates into 20-25 at our flying field. I find myself always looking at the flags. Call me weird but it makes my decision on what and when to fly. Flags are a great tool and we have some in the background of our flying field that pretty much explains where to do your maneuvers. I find them very helpful especially if I'm flying at a field or place I never have flown before. Seeing that the winds are up and the temps are down this pretty much makes this day a engine running day. I do enjoy that as well. Were really a bunch of nuts standing around looking at engines running on a stand. I find it completely amazing to take a engine for example which has been sitting around for 40 years or more and watch it light up. I don't know why we do this, but I do enjoy it. Once the tank runs out were all standing around chuckling saying stuff like THAT WAS COOL!!!!!!

lol! Nothing wrong with that! I wish there was a "we" in my equation. I'd be much more active with building/running engines/flying.. if I had some local hobby buddies to hang with. I used to use a small multi-colored windsock attached with string, to a fiberglass snow-plow marker for a wind indicator.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:22 am

Razz Nuts Wee are but it sure is FUN !! I thought that gray didn't look like Ken but I do understand needed material , what's the wing span on that ? Our weather is roller coastering now as it does this time of year . Eric Flying a Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:38 am

Eric, the wingspan of Big Otto is 24". As Kim mentioned, this was a better flying model as it has a good amount of wing area and thickness over the other offerings. Walt visited our club some years ago and he explained that many of his designs were considerably shortened to make them fit within the packaging. Big Otto was never designed for TD power but the wingspan and airfoil lends itself to the need for more horsepower. I can't even see flying this plane on the recommended engines offered on the plans. I'm certain it would be quite a let down. A Babe Bee is going to offer so much and for this size plane in my opinion it would be struggling especially built with the wood supplied. I took some extra effort to remove and supply lighter wood. While my choice of covering may not be the lightest, my days of silkspan on 1/2A's ARE LOOOOOONG gone. That is pretty much about the most useless and wasteful thing one can do on 1/2A's. My son was just having a laugh about the time I spent on one particular model and the clip popped off the glowhead and went right through the wing of a plane that never even saw air time. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

"Big Otto and Bernie's Xtreme .049" !! - Page 2 Empty Silkspan covering

Post  706jim Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:49 am

I could never bring myself to cover with silkspan.

All that work making a nice model and you could barely touch the covered surfaces.

Instead, I used silk and (I suspect) some sort of lightweight synthetic nylon and my planes flew just fine, including my Guillows Super Cub free flight.

Kinda miss the smell of dope however!
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

"Big Otto and Bernie's Xtreme .049" !! - Page 2 Empty For Bob....aka rsv1cox

Post  fredvon4 Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Here is the big otto with Bernie' all red Extreem on the nose from Kim

I think there are a few others here who have run and flown some of the #numbered Cox International Specialty engines
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2