Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works Cox_ba12

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Today at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Today at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Today at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Today at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Today at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Today at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Today at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works Empty
Live on Patrol

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works

Go down

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works Empty Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works

Post  Kim Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Since the wind decided to come up and leave me with an un-flyable afternoon, I figured I might as well put in some quality pre-work on these guys so that they would be set to go when the weather cooperates...

My War Weary Warhawk turns up it Babe Bee on a gray Cox 5-3:

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works 1_11

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works 3_w-lo10

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works 4_11

Then the old Aracobra got a turn at spinning it's original paddle-bladed Wen Mac 5.25 diameter prop.

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works 1_12

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works 2_11

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works 3_10

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works 4_12

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works Empty Re: Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works

Post  dckrsn Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:20 pm

I thought I heard something coming from the S-W.
They both sounded good Kim.
(Vivid imagination?.......yep!)
Thanks for posting the pix to go with.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works Empty Re: Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:22 pm

Ha ha, pretty darn cool Kim. Should be all ready to go when the wind dies. Did you tach the Wen-Mac?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:46 pm

I did some airframe work on the old Stuntman today. Tied some spare bladders and cut down a couple of props for the flight box. Right now I have about 5 planes I can snatch and go without having to piddle with. That's the one good thing about being grounded. I just hope I remember how to fly. Laughing

Kim, you make me miss my old plastic Coxes. The PT-19 is my only one. It sure does get up and go with that Killer Bee in it.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  lousyflyer Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:00 pm

I always wondered how well the wen mac would run. I have one that's been rolling around in my junk box without a needle valve.
lousyflyer
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:15 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Ha ha, pretty darn cool Kim. Should be all ready to go when the wind dies. Did you tach the Wen-Mac?

Yep...ought to be set...of course, my engines often have minds of their own when launching time comes! The Wen Mac was turning dependably in the high 12's, which is much better than the one that came with the plane. I put some flights in with the first engine, and it wasn't exactly "sparkling"...maybe with this engine, I'll have a slightly faster dump truck!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:45 pm

Kim wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:Ha ha, pretty darn cool Kim. Should be all ready to go when the wind dies. Did you tach the Wen-Mac?

Yep...ought to be set...of course, my engines often have minds of their own when launching time comes! The Wen Mac was turning dependably in the high 12's, which is much better than the one that came with the plane. I put some flights in with the first engine, and it wasn't exactly "sparkling"...maybe with this engine, I'll have a slightly faster dump truck!

No matter how it flies at least your out there doing it as opposed to letting them sit on a shelf. I will probably never know what it's like to fly an RTF. Luckily Balsa transcends time and money and I can fly planes that were designed 50 or 60 yrs ago. Keep em flying Kim!!!

P.S. The Wen-Mac runs better than I thought.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:16 am

cribbs74 wrote:
Kim wrote:

No matter how it flies at least your out there doing it as opposed to letting them sit on a shelf. I will probably never know what it's like to fly an RTF. Luckily Balsa transcends time and money and I can fly planes that were designed 50 or 60 yrs ago. Keep em flying Kim!!!

P.S. The Wen-Mac runs better than I thought.

If I can ever get with any of you guys to fly, we'll share these things! Not right that an enthusiast doesn't get to log some vintage flying time! In the meantime, all you have to do to get some simulator time is to ballast your favorite plane to at least twice it's normal weight, stick a few glowhead gaskets in to drop the RPM a bit...and you're there!

I pick on the Aracobra, but secretly love to see it out on the end of it's lines. Then one I got for Christmas in the early 60's was stared at for long periods of time as my young brain did it's best to imagine the fighter up in the wild blue. Seeing it fly (albeit anemically) gives me that heady flashback that so many here crave.

The old Wen Mac engines WILL turn up to a reasonable speed when properly treated, and I'm still messing with the Cobra's original powerplant, trying to see find out why it's so cranky. I've got a hard copy of some tips posted here a while back, and just need to settle down and go through them methodically.

Anyway, just need some decent weather and I ought to be set...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:19 am

RknRusty wrote:I did some airframe work on the old Stuntman today. Tied some spare bladders and cut down a couple of props for the flight box. Right now I have about 5 planes I can snatch and go without having to piddle with. That's the one good thing about being grounded. I just hope I remember how to fly. Laughing

Kim, you make me miss my old plastic Coxes. The PT-19 is my only one. It sure does get up and go with that Killer Bee in it.

Yeah....it's great when the mood AND the opportunity come together. I got to FEEL like working on them, or it's just better for me to shut the shop door and go do something else !

Hopefully, these things are tuned and ready to rock.........
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 am

Hi Kim, great stuff. It reminds me of my club member and good friend Dan Banjock. Dan is a user of all his equipment. Dan has some of the most unique pieces of control line memorabilia. Dan has an entire fleet of all aluminum birds from post WW II. They're truly just tremendous to see sitting static and watching them fly is even more amazing. You just wouldn't think anyone would ever fly these. He has a fleet of Cox TD-1 planes with several others just waiting for a few missing parts. His Rivets is missing just a few parts and I certainly wish I knew which ones they were. Dan is a top notch pilot placing in the top 20 in the Nats for the past several years. This year due to building a new plane, he flew old time stunt rather than precision aero. A Cox Piper cub is what started him in this hobby and he doesn't hesitate for a second to put the 20 point stunters down to try out a old plastic ready to fly model. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works Empty RE: Windy Afternoon run-ups at the Skunk Works

Post  66 Malibu Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Hey Guys,
If you really want to spend some enjoyable time thinking about Wen Mac's and P-39's, go to YouTube and look up the old TV Series "My Three Sons". Then go to the episode where Robby is participating in a C/L Flying Contest. His Buddy gets a new P-39 at the LHS and competes. Robby wakes up the neighborhood test running a Wen Mac in the garage..
Enjoy and daydream !!! Steve........

Kim wrote:

66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Thanks Steve!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:46 pm

Ken Cook wrote: Hi Kim, great stuff. It reminds me of my club member and good friend Dan Banjock. Dan is a user of all his equipment. Dan has some of the most unique pieces of control line memorabilia. Dan has an entire fleet of all aluminum birds from post WW II. They're truly just tremendous to see sitting static and watching them fly is even more amazing. You just wouldn't think anyone would ever fly these. He has a fleet of Cox TD-1 planes with several others just waiting for a few missing parts. His Rivets is missing just a few parts and I certainly wish I knew which ones they were. Dan is a top notch pilot placing in the top 20 in the Nats for the past several years. This year due to building a new plane, he flew old time stunt rather than precision aero. A Cox Piper cub is what started him in this hobby and he doesn't hesitate for a second to put the 20 point stunters down to try out a old plastic ready to fly model. Ken

Sounds like a guy after my own heart Ken! I think it'd be great if someone was able to get footage of airplanes like these with a large-type, professional video camera. Even if the next generation never picked up on the coolness, it'd at least give some pleasure in the nursing home !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:01 pm

Dan is neat in that way. He's a firm believer that these items should be used and not sitting on a shelf. We have a control line demo for the vets that we do at a local veterans home. We also put on a indoor freeflight demo in their auditorium. Certainly, one of the coolest things I saw was his rubber powered Bucker Jungmeister flying around the ceiling towing the US flag which was displayed perfectly. It made several circles missing all the lights and making a graceful landing. That was a big hit and had a well deserved applause. I know he's in search of a elevator for his TD-1. He was saying these are generally missing or broken. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:10 pm

66 Malibu wrote:Hey Guys,
If you really want to spend some enjoyable time thinking about Wen Mac's and P-39's, go to YouTube and look up the old TV Series "My Three Sons". Then go to the episode where Robby is participating in a C/L Flying Contest. His Buddy gets a new P-39 at the LHS and competes. Robby wakes up the neighborhood test running a Wen Mac in the garage..
Enjoy and daydream !!! Steve........

I tried to find it....... Have a link?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:19 pm

Mudhen wrote:
Kim wrote:I think it'd be great if someone was able to get footage of airplanes like these with a large-type, professional video camera. Even if the next generation never picked up on the coolness, it'd at least give some pleasure in the nursing home !!!
Over the past several months I've been restoring old Cox models. If all goes well I will videotape every generation of Cox airplanes from the TD-1 to 1969. (Someone else will have to pick it up after that point.) I will also have some cars too. And if I can either build a stooge, or have someone with me I'll be giving three-at-once a shot too.
Mud

Patiently waiting!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:56 pm

The My Three Sons episode "Air Derby", is no longer on YouTube.
Apparently NBC decided to yoink it.
Bob
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Qi_71nOJI
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:03 pm

Ouch. I wish I had downloaded it. I least I got to watch it when there was a thread about it on one of the forums. I watched the show every week when it was on the air, but I do not recall the one we are looking for. I checked Netflix and Hulu but no dice. No episodes at all. That kinda irritating... and selfish of NBC if that's where it was broadcast. Don't worry, I'm not surprised.
I believe Dad(Fred McMurray) was an aeronautics engineer in the show.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:23 pm

dckrsn wrote:The My Three Sons episode "Air Derby", is no longer on YouTube.
Bob

There are a ton of other episodes on you tube so why would they yank that specific one? Not being cocky, just asking.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:32 pm

cribbs74 wrote:
Bob

There are a ton of other episodes on you tube so why would they yank that specific one? Not being cocky, just asking.
I think all of the second season episodes were pulled right around the
same time that season came out on dvd. What?

Yeah Rusty, I watched it when there was a link on RCGroups.
It was linked in 3 parts. I think I remember a hobby shop scene.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lousyflyer Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:39 pm

NBC - Nothing But Cash

lousyflyer
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:36 am

dckrsn wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:
Bob

I think all of the second season episodes were pulled right around the
same time that season came out on dvd. What?

Yeah Rusty, I watched it when there was a link on RCGroups.
It was linked in 3 parts. I think I remember a hobby shop scene.
Bob

Well, I may have to use a Jedi Mind Trick to make Rory buy the DVD package !!!!

I'm still watching for the Alfred Hitchcock episode where a guy is showing a kid how to fly a Wen Mac control liner.

Windy Afternoon Run-Ups at The Skunk Works Skunk_10

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down