Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


My new to me Fox .049 Babe_b10
Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Flying the twins
by Ken Cook Today at 3:24 pm

» 2019 CEF Run What Ya Brung Unlimited Speed Contest Build Log
by Ken Cook Today at 3:22 pm

» How's the weather?
by Cribbs74 Today at 3:11 pm

» Flying a pattern at the Triple Tree contest.
by RknRusty Today at 12:01 pm

» How many engines?
by fredvon4 Today at 8:57 am

» Some of my Cox engines
by getback Today at 8:29 am

» 2019 World-Widw Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon---October 5th & 6th !!
by Kim Yesterday at 8:41 am

» Roll Call! Cars Are The Stars
by Kim Yesterday at 6:57 am

» LWS 3 with a Pee Wee
by dirk gently Yesterday at 3:38 am

» JEROBEE electric to TeeDee conversion
by OVERLORD Yesterday at 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2019
Tee Bee's

"This RR1 was restored for all the right reasons"


PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2019
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery


My new to me Fox .049 Empty
World of Aviation

My new to me Fox .049

Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty My new to me Fox .049

Post  Cribbs74 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Courtesy of one Larry Renger. Only cost me shipping. It's guys like him that make this hobby so great. Thanks Larry!

My new to me Fox .049 NsJhn
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 10303
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 45
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  Mark Boesen on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:22 pm

wow, cool beans! That's the hotter one!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3724
Join date : 2011-09-01
Age : 60
Location : Rockford, Il

View user profile http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  Cribbs74 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:27 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:wow, cool beans! That's the hotter one!

It is? I thought it was the standard one. How can you tell?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 10303
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 45
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  RknRusty on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:28 pm

At first I thought that was your wedding ring next to it.

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10734
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 63
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  Mark Boesen on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:38 pm

Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3724
Join date : 2011-09-01
Age : 60
Location : Rockford, Il

View user profile http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  stevej on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:29 pm

The hot Fox .049 FAI Special has slanted edges on the exhaust ports. The Yahoo pics may show this but I don't have an account.
stevej
stevej
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 153
Join date : 2011-08-24
Age : 79
Location : Clovis, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  Cribbs74 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:35 am

stevej wrote:The hot Fox .049 FAI Special has slanted edges on the exhaust ports. The Yahoo pics may show this but I don't have an account.

Pretty sure this one has square exhaust ports. I'll have to check. I was told the non FAI was better for CL.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 10303
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 45
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  Ken Cook on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:02 pm

Ron, these run pretty well when they're working properly. The pitfall is the plug. Even though the plug lights, they're not the most reliable. Larry was just recently having fits with a FOX .049. One thing however, there is plenty of meat on that plug to drill and tap for a 1/4"-32 hole and use a standard plug. My one club member actually did that mod and was disqualified for what was considered an illegal modification. It ran better than stock which is highly unusual due to the larger volume the standard glow plug consumes internally. Here is another optionhttp://www.flyfreeflight.com/Site/Commercial_Parts.html I believe this fellow is named Bob. If you look under custom parts, you can see he offers a brass adapter ring for the FOX .049 to accept Cox plugs. This ring works very well. These engines do needle well just like a larger engine. They do like a bit of nitro, I wouldn't go too high as the cranks like to blow. I've done that a few times. Doug Martin however still carries parts for these. I'm sure a quick Google search will reveal his contact info. They also should use a all castor fuel. These have a ball socket just like a Cox engine. DO NOT USE THE PISTON RESET TOOL from a Cox. The piston will shatter. I can tell you how I know this. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3481
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  Cribbs74 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:14 pm

Ken Cook wrote: Ron, these run pretty well when they're working properly. The pitfall is the plug. Even though the plug lights, they're not the most reliable. Larry was just recently having fits with a FOX .049. One thing however, there is plenty of meat on that plug to drill and tap for a 1/4"-32 hole and use a standard plug. My one club member actually did that mod and was disqualified for what was considered an illegal modification. It ran better than stock which is highly unusual due to the larger volume the standard glow plug consumes internally. Here is another optionhttp://www.flyfreeflight.com/Site/Commercial_Parts.html I believe this fellow is named Bob. If you look under custom parts, you can see he offers a brass adapter ring for the FOX .049 to accept Cox plugs. This ring works very well. These engines do needle well just like a larger engine. They do like a bit of nitro, I wouldn't go too high as the cranks like to blow. I've done that a few times. Doug Martin however still carries parts for these. I'm sure a quick Google search will reveal his contact info. They also should use a all castor fuel. These have a ball socket just like a Cox engine. DO NOT USE THE PISTON RESET TOOL from a Cox. The piston will shatter. I can tell you how I know this. Ken


Lol, this one is from Larry! He also supplied that brass ring.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 10303
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 45
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  Ken Cook on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Ron, the backplate uses a cork gasket just like many Fox's do. These are extremely fragile and they don't always come apart for re use. Like any Fox, I place the case on a piece of glass with fine sandpaper and lap the casting flat. I don't stop until the entire area of the case doesn't show any low spots. Here is a gasket set http://www.ebay.com/itm/234-VINTAGE-FOX-049-SCREW-AND-GASKET-SET-ENGINE-PART-714-/310392609075?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4844d75933 Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3481
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  stevej on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:19 pm

That's Bob Mattes's site-
http://www.flyfreeflight.com/Site/Commercial_Parts.html

Here's Doug Martin's stuff-

FOX 049 FAI HYBRID

by- Doug Martin Fox 049 FAI hybrid, less tank $60.00
Fox 049 FAI hybrid, w/tank $67.50
This engine is newly fitted of old stock Fox Fox 049 Glowhead, w/gasket 6.00
factory parts from the early 1960’s. The Spinner Nut 2.00
project was begun by Richard Rikel and Drive Washer 2.00
Randall Hopkins. It is legal for nostalgia Needle Valve Assembly 5.00
free flight events as governed by the National Screw and Gasket set 3.50
Free Flight Society. For information on Back Plate 2.00
specifications and performance consult the Crankcase 15.00
article by Peter Chinn in September 1965 Crankshaft 15.00
Model Airplane News. Cylinder with piston/rod 25.00
Tank Kit with screws 7.50
Individual Gasket .50 ea.
Needle valve with spring 2.50

Shipping by USPS Priority Mail
Doug Martin $6.00 for items under 1 pound
1510 Locust Street
Canon City, CO 81212
phone 719-269-3274
email: dougsengines@hotmail.com Prices effective until Dec. 31, 2010


Fox 049 FAI Special

by- Doug Martin Fox 049 FAI Special, less tank $60.00
Fox 049 FAI Special, w/tank $67.50
This engine is newly fitted of old stock Fox Fox 049 Glowhead, w/gasket 6.00
factory parts from the early 1960’s. The Spinner Nut 2.00
project was begun by Richard Rikel and Drive Washer 2.00
Randall Hopkins. It is legal for nostalgia Needle Valve Assembly 5.00
free flight events as governed by the National Screw and Gasket set 3.50
Free Flight Society. For information on Back Plate 2.00
specifications and performance consult the Crankcase 15.00
article by Peter Chinn in September 1965 Crankshaft 15.00
Model Airplane News. Cylinder with piston/rod 25.00
Tank Kit with screws 7.50
Individual gaskets .50 ea
Needle valve with spring 2.50

Shipping by USPS Priority Mail
Doug Martin $6.00 for items under 1 pound
1510 Locust Street
Canon City, CO 81212
phone 719-269-3274
email: dougsengines@hotmail.com Prices effective until Dec. 31, 2010
stevej
stevej
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 153
Join date : 2011-08-24
Age : 79
Location : Clovis, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  Cribbs74 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:18 pm

stevej wrote:That's Bob Mattes's site-
http://www.flyfreeflight.com/Site/Commercial_Parts.html

Here's Doug Martin's stuff-

FOX 049 FAI HYBRID

by- Doug Martin Fox 049 FAI hybrid, less tank $60.00
Fox 049 FAI hybrid, w/tank $67.50
This engine is newly fitted of old stock Fox Fox 049 Glowhead, w/gasket 6.00
factory parts from the early 1960’s. The Spinner Nut 2.00
project was begun by Richard Rikel and Drive Washer 2.00
Randall Hopkins. It is legal for nostalgia Needle Valve Assembly 5.00
free flight events as governed by the National Screw and Gasket set 3.50
Free Flight Society. For information on Back Plate 2.00
specifications and performance consult the Crankcase 15.00
article by Peter Chinn in September 1965 Crankshaft 15.00
Model Airplane News. Cylinder with piston/rod 25.00
Tank Kit with screws 7.50
Individual Gasket .50 ea.
Needle valve with spring 2.50

Shipping by USPS Priority Mail
Doug Martin $6.00 for items under 1 pound
1510 Locust Street
Canon City, CO 81212
phone 719-269-3274
email: dougsengines@hotmail.com Prices effective until Dec. 31, 2010


Fox 049 FAI Special

by- Doug Martin Fox 049 FAI Special, less tank $60.00
Fox 049 FAI Special, w/tank $67.50
This engine is newly fitted of old stock Fox Fox 049 Glowhead, w/gasket 6.00
factory parts from the early 1960’s. The Spinner Nut 2.00
project was begun by Richard Rikel and Drive Washer 2.00
Randall Hopkins. It is legal for nostalgia Needle Valve Assembly 5.00
free flight events as governed by the National Screw and Gasket set 3.50
Free Flight Society. For information on Back Plate 2.00
specifications and performance consult the Crankcase 15.00
article by Peter Chinn in September 1965 Crankshaft 15.00
Model Airplane News. Cylinder with piston/rod 25.00
Tank Kit with screws 7.50
Individual gaskets .50 ea
Needle valve with spring 2.50

Shipping by USPS Priority Mail
Doug Martin $6.00 for items under 1 pound
1510 Locust Street
Canon City, CO 81212
phone 719-269-3274
email: dougsengines@hotmail.com Prices effective until Dec. 31, 2010

Thanks Steve,

I contacted Doug a few weeks ago about aquiring an engine and he did not reply. I don't have much confidence that he is still selling engines and parts. Maybe I didn't ask correctly. I see he has a phone# maybe that's the route I should take.

Thanks again,

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 10303
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 45
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  gcb on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:43 am

stevej wrote:The hot Fox .049 FAI Special has slanted edges on the exhaust ports. The Yahoo pics may show this but I don't have an account.

You are correct. I bought a couple of FAI .049's from Randall Hopkins. At the time, Randall was running them and providing performance specs on each engine. He also said that if you were a collector and needed one in unrun condition he would swap.

In any case, here is a pic showing exhaust:

My new to me Fox .049 Fox04910

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 908
Join date : 2011-08-11
Location : Port Ewen, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  Cribbs74 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:42 am

gcb wrote:
stevej wrote:The hot Fox .049 FAI Special has slanted edges on the exhaust ports. The Yahoo pics may show this but I don't have an account.

You are correct. I bought a couple of FAI .049's from Randall Hopkins. At the time, Randall was running them and providing performance specs on each engine. He also said that if you were a collector and needed one in unrun condition he would swap.

In any case, here is a pic showing exhaust:

My new to me Fox .049 Fox04910

George

My exhaust ports are not cut like that, so that confirms it. Suits me fine as I was told the FAI was not really suitable for CL. I really wish I had a tank like that though!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 10303
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 45
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  gcb on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Here is a report on the Fox .049 FAI by PGF Chinn:

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Fox%20049%20FAI%20Special.html

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 908
Join date : 2011-08-11
Location : Port Ewen, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  microflitedude on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:59 pm

To everyone - the "+" and "-" buttons to the right of posts do not make the image smaller. They give the user negative or positive reputation points.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Trusted Seller
I Support My Forum

Posts : 3417
Join date : 2011-08-17
Age : 21
Location : Columbia, SC

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  Cribbs74 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:20 pm

microflitedude wrote:To everyone - the "+" and "-" buttons to the right of posts do not make the image smaller. They give the user negative or positive reputation points.

Thanks Matt, I was wondering where that point went...... lol!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 10303
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 45
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  RknRusty on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:40 pm

What does FAI mean? I think I usually hear it associated with combat engines. And some of them only use methanol and castor, but I gather that's only because of the rules of the game, not engine requirements. There are other acronyms like F2D and I don't remember the others, but I never can find what they mean. So I'm finally asking. Fishing

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10734
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 63
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  Ken Cook on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Rusty, it means Federation Aeronautique Internationale. It's a world wide organization that has governed rules for all flying events that works in conjunction with the AMA to make sure all the rules are the same. http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/ F1 is free flight while F2 is control line events. The other letters just are indications of the events. There is many others like F3B and so forth. I'm not positive but I would think the FOX FAI special was used for freeflight events where all straight up power was required. It's been said that they even possibly developed more power than a TD swinging a 6x3. I fly combat and in regards to F2d, it's a .15 size event. I don't fly f2d although I have F2d planes and some equipment. It has many rules. It also has rule changes that require you to constantly upgrade and change your equipment which can get waaaay over the top expensive. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3481
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  RknRusty on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:03 pm

Okay, now I know. Thanks.

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10734
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 63
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My new to me Fox .049 Empty Re: My new to me Fox .049

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum