Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

tapered - Tapered piston? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

tapered - Tapered piston? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by DanMc Today at 7:25 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Today at 7:04 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by 944_Jim Today at 4:31 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by balogh Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Today at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Today at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 2:29 pm

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by 944_Jim Today at 11:52 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

tapered - Tapered piston? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Tapered piston?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

tapered - Tapered piston? - Page 2 Empty Pressure fittings: I have it on good authority that.................

Post  SuperDave Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:37 pm

the orifice drilled for a pressure fitting must be neither too small or too large. Both variations can cause "needleing" problems depending on the engine.

Drill with that in mind. Start small then determine how well the engine "needles". Enlarge incrementally until the engine runs to your satisfaction.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

tapered - Tapered piston? - Page 2 Empty Re: Tapered piston?

Post  anm2 Fri May 03, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks for sharing this letter. The information it contained is excellent. I had thought they moved to the twin slit exhaust before 1979.

Paulgibeault wrote:BTW, to answer the initial question. Yes, All Cox pistons can be used in ALL Cox cylinders. BUT.... how well they perform is the question. My take...you never REALLY know until you run them. As this letter states, too tight fitting & too loose fitting always runs / starts poorly, but there is a lot "in the middle" worth trying out...

Dale Kirns 2nd letter to Paul dated 9 Dec 93:

Dear Paul - You have put together a very informative article - esp. on the engine & fuel areas. I added a little note on the last page about the importance of castor oil. I never use less than 10% castor oil in my fuels.
In 1979 cox made a major change in the cylinder & piston sizes (except for the Tee Dee series).
1. Cylinder:
a) went to 2-slit exhaust to prevent a fire from starting from over priming
b) eliminated free port on 2-slit exhausts.
c) "loosened" tolerances on I.D. hone

2. Piston:
a) finish grind - no longer has a "taper" at the top.
b) "loosened" tolerance on O.D. of piston

Unfortunately, the Black Widow has both of the "loosened" tolerances in all engines. If both are on the "right" end (cyl I.D. on the small and piston O.D. on the high) you can have a fairly good engine. But the other way - very loose fit/poor compression/ hard restarts/ poorer performance. In defense of Cox doing these changes it was because the bulk of their engines went to "first time users" who didn't know anything about a 1/2A engine. "Rich" and "Lean" was a term they did not understand. So, by fitting the piston/cylinder on the "loose side" - and leaning the engine to max power (when new) it was less likely to stick.
Apparently, it cut down on a "few" returns, but mainly it cut manufacturing costs. Seems that is always the bottom line.
Good luck on this venture, Your off to a good start.
Keep 'em flying,
Dale Kirn
"and now you know the rest of the story...."
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri May 03, 2013 10:02 pm

[quote="anm2"]Thanks for sharing this letter. The information it contained is excellent. I had thought they moved to the twin slit exhaust before 1979.

According to Sitter, he claims the dual slit exhaust was intro'd on February 27th, 1978, probably from notes and documents he obtained from Mr. Kirn. It's also likely Dale was writing from memory and was not quoting exact dates.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 Sat May 04, 2013 6:55 am

I recently purchased Dale Kirn modified .049. Got it in the mail yesterday. Very nice engine. It appears to have a beefed up crankshaft, but when I looked in the crankcase, the backend looked normal. I don't want to remove the crankshaft to check it out. The front end was machined and an extended prop driver was added. It has what appears to be a fine adjustable needle valve that looks like it would not float. Also, has a Tee Dee Piston and cylinder, with amazing compression. I am guessing it dates back to about 1970, but I can't be sure. I had read somewhere that he had sold his company sometime in the early/mid 70s. Do you know anything about his company? Thanks, Andy

[quote="Mark Boesen"]
anm2 wrote:Thanks for sharing this letter. The information it contained is excellent. I had thought they moved to the twin slit exhaust before 1979.

According to Sitter, he claims the dual slit exhaust was intro'd on February 27th, 1978, probably from notes and documents he obtained from Mr. Kirn. It's also likely Dale was writing from memory and was not quoting exact dates.
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat May 04, 2013 8:35 am

I looked those engines over on eBay, they look like they had the large journal crank and case used on cars. I could not tell if the prop drive plate was the tapered kind or pressed on.
I was kinda wondering about the drive plate myself.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 Sat May 04, 2013 9:30 am

You are right. I am holding it now, and it is indeed a car crank case. I have several but it never occurred to me that he converted one. I guess that would make for a very strong airplane crankshaft. That's a pretty neat idea. Overall, I am pleased with the purchase, and am interested to see how it runs. It has one of the old star shaped reed valves so I might swap that out. Not sure yet. I am going to take some pictures of it later. The drive plate is beefy. Very nice setup. I guess Dale Kirn new his business!

crankbndr wrote:I looked those engines over on eBay, they look like they had the large journal crank and case used on cars. I could not tell if the prop drive plate was the tapered kind or pressed on.
I was kinda wondering about the drive plate myself.
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2