Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

I've been invited to fly a Goldberg Shoesrring tomorrow Cox_ba12

I've been invited to fly a Goldberg Shoesrring tomorrow Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by roddie Today at 4:33 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by latole Today at 4:28 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 2:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

I've been invited to fly a Goldberg Shoesrring tomorrow Empty
Live on Patrol

I've been invited to fly a Goldberg Shoesrring tomorrow

Go down

I've been invited to fly a Goldberg Shoesrring tomorrow Empty I've been invited to fly a Goldberg Shoesrring tomorrow

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:52 am

Out at the club field at Noon. It's supposed to be 15mph winds. I'd never fly my little ones in that, but I guess this big boy can handle it. I believe he said it had a .40 on it. I'll let y'all know how I do.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

I've been invited to fly a Goldberg Shoesrring tomorrow Empty Re: I've been invited to fly a Goldberg Shoesrring tomorrow

Post  John Goddard Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:12 am

Don't forget the video Rusty.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

I've been invited to fly a Goldberg Shoesrring tomorrow Empty Re: I've been invited to fly a Goldberg Shoesrring tomorrow

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:27 am

John Goddard wrote:Don't forget the video Rusty.
Very Happy
If I do take the camera, it'll have to pass the editor's approval before I post it. Laughing Actually I think I'll probably fly it very well, I'm just a bit worried about the wind. I'll get some instructions from the guy first. I guess it's not much different from my little ones, only slower. He did say it'll be needled for a 2 cycle break in the climbs. I'm only concerned about overestimating its responsiveness in the low side of a loop or something like that. I'll get him to fly it first so I can watch. I am NOT going to ground his plane.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:39 am

Rusty, probably the most difficult part of the flight would be the landing. A .40 is nothing to be concerned about. I know several flyers using Tower .40's and they fly remarkable. Hardly ever using all the power the .40 offers as the engine needs to be propped for rpm's vs speed. When landing, don't get yourself coming around on the wind side as the plane can get floaty.Just be prepared to get the plane on a downward glide rather quickly backing up as your doing so keeping good line tension. This quality isn't the situation in 1/2A as they generally descend quickly. The wind is something to be concerned with as 15 mph can bite you if your not careful. Wingover with the wind and all other maneuvers to your back. If the winds are blowing pretty steady, it's pretty easy to know where the windy side is. Unfortunately, at our field were surrounded by 3 sides of trees which can created a tornado effect making for some real turbulent winds at times. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:16 am

Like Ken said...watch the wind !! One the other side, I'm betting you'll be freaked out at how much extra "sky" you're gonna have! AND you actually get to observe the plane as it goes through it's maneuvers (I'm a bit slow, and have to "remember" the image of what I just did when flying 1/2A !!!!)

Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:23 am

Rain Rain Go Away
Planes Can't Fly in it Any Day
Big Atlantic System Coming From the East
Not a Frantic Loop no Adrenalin Feast
No Way In Hell I Get to Fly That Beast
I'm Not Happy, Not in the Least

And yes Kim, me too with 1/2A. After an exciting flight, I'm never really sure what all I've done. That's why I like the videos, so I can relive it and see what I'm really doing. Brings my skill level back down to where it really belongs. That's good, because sometimes it helps me realize I'm not as neat and clean as I imagine.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:40 am

"Arrrrg....digital video...she be a cruel mistress...."" !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:15 pm

I'm meeting my club friend with the Goldberg Shoestring at the field around noon Sunday. The wind is supposed to be almost none, 70F and mostly sunny. I'll have my Refried bean in tow as well as the Streak and the Li'l Satan. I'll get video of at least the RFB. Maybe the Shoestring too.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:35 pm

Sounds llke a fun Sunday.
Gotta pry this Shoestring out of the box someday.
Bob
I've been invited to fly a Goldberg Shoesrring tomorrow Shoest12
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:23 am

70f ??????!
It's -3 (27 in old money) here
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:56 am

We have -10°C here, so it is building time. I'm working on a .15 shoestring (RC) that will get a MVVS and a pipe, should move around quite well...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:19 am

Sounds like Surf's up Kris
Wink
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  navion34 Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:48 am

Surfer_kris wrote:We have -10°C here, so it is building time. I'm working on a .15 shoestring (RC) that will get a MVVS and a pipe, should move around quite well...

Several years ago (between 10 -15..) I have build this Shoestring, 1/4 midget size with a .15 MVVS. The fiber spars were replaced by carbon fiber tubes : unbreakable ! This model flew very well, loops, rolls and more. A damned good airplane.

I've been invited to fly a Goldberg Shoesrring tomorrow Shoest10

Not time to build (+10°c) but time to test several engines (TD and Babe bee) and inspect my old cars....
navion34
navion34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:16 am

John Goddard wrote:Sounds like Surf's up Kris
Wink

Yep, I was out last weekend but here's where I draw the line...

I've been invited to fly a Goldberg Shoesrring tomorrow 17696211
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Damn that looks cold.
It was in the high 60sF here when I got to the field about 11:30 this morning. The shoestring was yellow from spinner to tail with an OS 40 on it, and 60' steel lines. Mike is the guy's name. He fired it up and took off flying some loops and wingovers but it was running lean and fast so he didn't do much more than that. but it really snapped into whatever direction he pointed it. Nice responsive plane. He landed it right next to the fueling station and adjusted it a little richer to get the lean break in the verticals.

In the next flight he was flying it along nicely, did a couple of touch and gos, but in one loop the wind took his lines away. About the time he got it back he snagged the grass and lost the handle. Right, no lanyard around his wrist. Next thing I saw was an unmanned plane climbing straight up, then straight down into a cloud of yellow carnage. I didn't get to fly it. But I did bring it home with a busted wingtip and a broken rear fuselage. He kept the engine and tank, and the rest is mine now. I'm glad I didn't wreck it.

I told him we should have used the CL field. The lee created by the trees really calms the gusts. We weren't expecting any wind but there was some on and off. I asked him if he wanted to play with my 1/2A planes and he did, so off we went to set up over there. By then others were showing up so I did some flying for a small audience. I was flying the Streak to warm up for the maiden voyage of the Refried Bean. I'll post about that in the appropriate thread. No more broken wood for me the rest of the day though. I asked Mike and Jim who came to the CL field to watch me fly if they wanted to try the Streak, and much to my relief, they said no. So I hooked up the Re-Bean and continued on.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down