Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

1949 O.K. CUB .074-----YAHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

1949 O.K. CUB .074-----YAHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 11:36 am

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 10:48 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 9:55 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

1949 O.K. CUB .074-----YAHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

1949 O.K. CUB .074-----YAHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

1949 O.K. CUB .074-----YAHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: 1949 O.K. CUB .074-----YAHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  PV Pilot Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:37 am

SuperDave wrote:
PV Pilot wrote:You might get lucky and just by drilling out the broken piece it will work free from the heat of drilling.

Another option is to drill oversize and retap for a slightly larger screw.

Any oversize drilling would have to "spot on" accurate otherwise the engine would experience "bad vibes" from off balance when running..

Yes, very true. A experienced machine shop with all the proper tools would be in order.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

1949 O.K. CUB .074-----YAHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: 1949 O.K. CUB .074-----YAHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  andrew Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:27 am

Kim --

Drilling a hole in a screw that size is almost impossible, especially using a drill press. If that 's the route you're considering, mounting the crank in a lathe and using a tailstock chuck would be your best bet.

However, from the pics, it looks like the crank extends beyond the drive plate. You probably know several A&Ps with access to a good lathe. My inclination would be to have the end of the crank faced off enough to give access to the screw. It can be cut back flush with the drive plate, if not slightly more. The extension beyond the driveplate only serves to help center a prop with a large hole. Just be careful to leave as much of the screw intact as possible so it doesn't get twisted off again.

Once you get the crank out of the case, you might cover it with a good penetrating oil and heat it for several hours to expand the crank and help the oil soak the threads.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:44 pm

If you do get a drill press a couple of neat items to have are end mills and reverse rotation bits. In this case you could use the end mill to get a flat end on the broken screw then drill it with the left handed bit. Occasionally the bit will catch and take the screw out. Use a good center punch before you do any drilling.

Also, heat may help to loosen gunked up solvents but it also causes things to expand in all directions. This means that your crank shaft's inside will expand inward, causing it to grip the broken screw more tightly. If the heat does not work try shooting a refrigerant down the inside of the broken screw. I will cause the affected areas (the broken screw) to contract, making it easier to extract. I have used this method with success on full size aircraft.

If you do get a drill press get a good vise that mounts to the table. You will be surprised at how many tasks you will use the drill press and vise for.

Good luck and give us lots of pics,

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:07 am

Thanks guys!

Yeah, it's WAY past time for me to be getting a good drill press...looking at a used one today. It it doesn't work out, I'll use my Magic Plastic and get a new one from Sears or Lowes later this afternoon.

It looks like I've finally got a free evening, and so, will review these suggestions on this little problem with the broken bolt. If it's assured that I CAN get a replacement crankshaft, I may venture ahead with an attempt to drill and remove it.

Guess I'm gonna re-join my local club also, since this is the second or third gift I've received from these good guys. With all the clubs and organizations I belong to, I may have to eventually file "Membership Bankruptcy" and apply for government aid ! (SERIOUSLY joking here !)

Anyway, bragging or crying, there WILL be a photo report following!

Amateur Baby Engine Machinist Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:39 am

Kim:

What you are seeing here on this thread represents the finest in our forum; people helping people with alternative suggestions.

(There may be some that actually ENVY you in your predicament) Laughing

Good luck in your attempt to correct it.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:00 am

Kim wrote:Thanks guys!

Yeah, it's WAY past time for me to be getting a good drill press...looking at a used one today. It it doesn't work out, I'll use my Magic Plastic and get a new one from Sears or Lowes later this afternoon.

It looks like I've finally got a free evening, and so, will review these suggestions on this little problem with the broken bolt. If it's assured that I CAN get a replacement crankshaft, I may venture ahead with an attempt to drill and remove it.

Guess I'm gonna re-join my local club also, since this is the second or third gift I've received from these good guys. With all the clubs and organizations I belong to, I may have to eventually file "Membership Bankruptcy" and apply for government aid ! (SERIOUSLY joking here !)

Anyway, bragging or crying, there WILL be a photo report following!

Amateur Baby Engine Machinist Kim

A good friend just picked up a really nice table top mill machine, with a precise X Y axis table and all the clamp fixtures, endmills, flycutters, supports, ect. It also came with a box of Starrett measuring micrometers. I am jealous to say the least. He bought it off of Cragislist for about $400. The Starrett stuff is worth that alone. Take a peek there, you might find some deals.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Financial damage incurred thus-far by Kim's free OK Cub: $337.09

This figure DOES NOT reflect the added costs of possible Hernia Surgery resulting from the solo assembly of this engine's "Accessories" !

1949 O.K. CUB .074-----YAHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Ok_cub10

ALL RIGHT!!!!!!!!....Everybody Stand Back!!!!!!!!!!!!....SOMETHING's 'BOUT TO GET DRILLED !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:14 pm

Holy Schnikey's!!,,get after it!! lol.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:26 pm

yeah...but first, I got to go to work and start filling the crater this sucker made in my toy budget....oh well.......
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:28 am

Gentlemen,

On this fine and rainy morning in South East Missouri, I would like to present for your perusal and approval...one, fully-operational, 1951 OK Cub .074 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the words of Little Richard, "Wop bopaloobaa, balo bam boom !!!!"

Didn't have enough daylight to tach it, and don't care. My "Model Airplane Nerd Sense" tells me that it's got enough umph! to drag a "Q-Tee" around the hill...and that's all it's got to do to make me happy !!!!!!!!

1949 O.K. CUB .074-----YAHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 1_20[strike]

Sincerely,
Caffeine Overdosed Kim

P.S. And yes, I AM gonna clean it up !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:36 am

A great big pat on the back for you Kim. have a pint and toast for your success Beer Cheers
That thing looks like it would go great as a diesel.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:01 am

Thanks Nitro!

Yep, while it might go as a diesel, this one's gonna be drinking glowfuel during it's time in my stable! Also, I joined your forum, using my .060 as credentials ! Looking forward to the discussion of these things!

In the meantime, got to build something for all of these noise-makers I'm accumulating !

Later!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:06 am

Kim wrote:Thanks Nitro!

Yep, while it might go as a diesel, this one's gonna be drinking glowfuel during it's time in my stable! Also, I joined your forum, using my .060 as credentials ! Looking forward to the discussion of these things!

In the meantime, got to build something for all of these noise-makers I'm accumulating !

Later!

Thanks for joining hopefully it will get rolling pretty soon.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:05 am

AND IT LIVES!!,,Congrats Kim.

It looks like a drill and tap for the repair?
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:26 am

OK, don't just show us the pretty lady doing her thing. What did you have to do to get her all dressed up and running?

We want the whole skinny.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:11 am

Sorry...feel like I jabber on here enough, and didn't want to wear out my welcome!

1. Woke up early (3:00am)...did my usual Folgers O.D. (don't laugh...this is a VERY important step!)

2. Bolted the Cub securely to a 1/4 aluminum plate, and wrapped everything in papertowel strips.

3 Carefully ground the end of the broken screw flat with my trusty Dremel.

4. Used the Dremel to grind myself a center punch from an old drill bit.

5. Took about 20 minutes to finally get the punch where I thought it was centered on the bolt, then hit the sucker.

6. Decided NOT to use my big, giant new drill press, and instead, put the Dremel in it's little press I've had for 30 years.

7. Got a pilot hole going, checking dept, then drilling then checking depth..ect. When it stopped easily throwing strips of metal, I stopped ,figuring I'd hit the hardened metal of the shaft.

8. Continued to re-drill, gradually increasing the bit sizes 'till I felt like I was pretty close to the threads all around.

9. When I was as close as I dared, I carefully started a 5-40 tapered tap down the hole, cleaning it after every 1/4 turn or so.

10. When it started fighting me, I already had more than a 1/4" of good threads, so I called it quits.

11. Cleaned it up, flushed the hole with alcohol, and put in a lock-tight coated 5-40 stud I cut from a cap screw.

12. Stuck a wooden 6-4 prop on it (wasn't sure what to use), and the thing startled me big-time by just cranking up! Think it just wanted some TLC !

Now, my problem is finding a project that needs to have holes drilled in it by a new drill press!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:22 am

Kim wrote:Sorry...feel like I jabber on here enough, and didn't want to wear out my welcome!

1. Woke up early (3:00am)...did my usual Folgers O.D. (don't laugh...this is a VERY important step!)

2. Bolted the Cub securely to a 1/4 aluminum plate, and wrapped everything in papertowel strips.

5. Took about 20 minutes to finally get the punch where I thought it was centered on the bolt, then hit the sucker.

6. Decided NOT to use my big, giant new drill press, and instead, put the Dremel in it's little press I've had for 30 years.

7. Got a pilot hole going, checking dept, then drilling then checking depth..ect. When it stopped easily throwing strips of metal, I stopped ,figuring I'd hit the hardened metal of the shaft.

8. Continued to re-drill, gradually increasing the bit sizes 'till I felt like I was pretty close to the threads all around.

9. When I was as close as I dared, I carefully started a 5-40 tapered tap down the hole, cleaning it after every 1/4 turn or so.

10. When it started fighting me, I already had more than a 1/4" of good threads, so I called it quits.

11. Cleaned it up, flushed the hole with alcohol, and put in a lock-tight coated 5-40 stud I cut from a cap screw.

12. Stuck a wooden 6-4 prop on it (wasn't sure what to use), and the thing startled me big-time by just cranking up! Think it just wanted some TLC !

Now, my problem is finding a project that needs to have holes drilled in it by a new drill press!

I have one for you.
Take an 8cc not stunt tank and make it into a jerobee tank Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:27 am

Kim:

Thanks for the "play by play" description of the Cub resurection.

With a stud now in place of screw you are good to go.

Good work! (In with running time the remaning screw fragment may come loose if that ever becomes a concern)
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:29 am

SuperDave wrote:Kim:

Thanks for the "play by play" description of the Cub resurection.

With a stud now in place of screw you are good to go.

Good work! (In with running time the remaning screw fragment may come loose if that ever becomes a concern)

That's true wath the prop doesn't fly off one day.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:38 am

True..there's always that risk...but considering that things do fly off my planes every once in a while anyway, the threat level is really not elevated that much!!

On the 8cc tank, I'd help if I thought I could, but to paraphrase "Bones" McCoy, "I'm a Lucky Redneck...Not a Machinist!"
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:40 am

Kim wrote:True..there's always that risk...but considering that things do fly off my planes every once in a while anyway, the threat level is really not elevated that much!!

On the 8cc tank, I'd help if I thought I could, but to paraphrase "Bones" McCoy, "I'm a Lucky Redneck...Not a Machinist!"
No i was just giving you something to do with your new machine.
Or you could attempt to make a geared twin.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:16 pm

Nice work.

The tap "fighting you" might have been a hard spot in the metal or you bottomed out in your drilled hole. A good bottoming tap should have stopped up snug to your drilled hole. If you did use a bottoming tap, the interior bottom threads might be meak just due to the way the tap is cut. If you used a pointy end thru-tap, then you might have about 1/2 threads down in there.

Regardless of my speculation, good job. should be good to go with a carefull eye as you run it.

Folgers is a requirement,,that goes without saying,, Laughing .
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks! Yeah, I didn't have a bottoming tap in 5-40...guess I'll get one to throw in the drawer. Andrew has recently provided me with some new hardware sources, so...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:41 am

Kim wrote:Sorry...feel like I jabber on here enough, and didn't want to wear out my welcome!

I have project fro you and you drill press Kim.
It is Make a diesel head for a cox engine.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:01 am

WOOF!

You trying to kill me, Nitro ??!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next