Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Glow clip battery Cox_ba12

Glow clip battery Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Older ignition books
by lla Today at 4:17 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 3:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:33 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by getback Today at 10:23 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Glow clip battery Empty
Live on Patrol

Glow clip battery

Go down

Glow clip battery Empty Glow clip battery

Post  PV Pilot Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:45 pm

I think someone on here posted this battery, but couldn't find the thread to give proper credit for the find.

http://www.portablepower.com/enersys_cyclon_0800-0004-p-233.html
I picked up one of these batterys and lemme tell ya. If you have a hard starter motor, try one of these. Rechargable sealed lead, continuous 500mah draw for 10 hrs, super duty battery. Had a project on the engine stand and for the last few days just could not get hardly a pop out of it. New d cells in the holder, cleaning contact points, motor teardown for problem check, (about 3 times), no fire whatsoever. Plugged in one of the Enersys cells and the VERY first rotation, it fired right off. Called and talked to the folks at Enersys about charge rates, and discharge rates just to be on the safe side.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Glow clip battery Empty Re: Glow clip battery

Post  fredvon4 Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:12 pm

2v 5 Amp hour sounds like a neat little power pack

How are you planning to recharge?....of all the boat loads of different chargers I have a can not think of one that will put out a low enough voltage

edit in they have some much larger 2v cells...real cool
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:38 pm

Enersys says to charge them from 2.27v to a max of 2.45v. Right out of the package they read 2.19, which is more than sufficent. A reccommended charge rate of about .250mah. You can just go by the voltage readout for the volt setting. I took it a couple points above 2.27 then pulled it off. They are ready to go right out of the package, i just wanted to check it before i used it.

I use a Fma charger that auto adjust the charge rate up to what the user sets it at. I set mine at .250 mah, just because i had a idea that it wouldn't pull much of a charge. The Enersys guy said you can pound them up to a 4 amp charge, depending on the state of discharge.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:19 am

PV Pilot wrote:Enersys says to charge them from 2.27v to a max of 2.45v. Right out of the package they read 2.19, which is more than sufficent. A reccommended charge rate of about .250mah. You can just go by the voltage readout for the volt setting. I took it a couple points above 2.27 then pulled it off. They are ready to go right out of the package, i just wanted to check it before i used it.

I use a Fma charger that auto adjust the charge rate up to what the user sets it at. I set mine at .250 mah, just because i had a idea that it wouldn't pull much of a charge. The Enersys guy said you can pound them up to a 4 amp charge, depending on the state of discharge.

That's a pretty resilient battery then IMO definately worth the money.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  hlsat Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:56 am

PV Pilot wrote:I think someone on here posted this battery, but couldn't find the thread to give proper credit for the find.

I picked up one of these batterys and lemme tell ya. If you have a hard starter motor, try one of these. Rechargable sealed lead, continuous 500mah draw for 10 hrs, super duty battery. Had a project on the engine stand and for the last few days just could not get hardly a pop out of it. New d cells in the holder, cleaning contact points, motor teardown for problem check, (about 3 times), no fire whatsoever. Plugged in one of the Enersys cells and the VERY first rotation, it fired right off. Called and talked to the folks at Enersys about charge rates, and discharge rates just to be on the safe side.

I use such a battery, but I had problems with many spark plugs because they were the 2 volt battery and spark plugs 1.5 volts took a vacation.
If using this fitting long cables at least 2 meters thick from the battery to the spark plugs.
This cable length'll give His difference in volts from 2 to 1.5 and has insurance does not spoil the spark plugs.
This happens when the battery is full charging of current and has power.
hlsat
hlsat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:01 am

hlsat wrote:
PV Pilot wrote:I think someone on here posted this battery, but couldn't find the thread to give proper credit for the find.

I use such a battery, but I had problems with many spark plugs because they were the 2 volt battery and spark plugs 1.5 volts took a vacation.

Yes because then some is lost as heat and it is safer to use I think younmeamt glow plug but English isn't your 1st laguage so it's fine lol.
If using this fitting long cables at least 2 meters thick from the battery to the spark plugs.
This cable length'll give His difference in volts from 2 to 1.5 and has insurance does not spoil the spark plugs.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:23 am

Here, once again, I'm seeing confusion over the difference between amperage and voltage. Excessive voltage burns out glo's in short order. Amperage is a power source's ability to perform work like light glo's but will not destroy the glo.

1 1/2 volts may not "light" a glo unless the voltage has sufficent amperage as a car with 12 volts may not start a car unless it has sufficient amperage from the battery.

Until thiis is comprehended the mystery of voltage/ampererage will continue to confound.

Personally, I often measure these measure these factors with a Fluke Model 23 VOM which aslso measures electricl resistane and continuity.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:27 am

hlsat wrote:I use such a battery, but I had problems with many spark plugs because they were the 2 volt battery and spark plugs 1.5 volts took a vacation.

I checked the ends of a Cox clip as well as the heavy duty clip with heavier gauge wire that Bernie offers and I was seeing about 1.75V. Used spade type of crimp connectors to make the connections. Those by themselves have significant reistance.

A regular D cell will light about 1/2 the coil length in the glow head, so there is already some resistance there. With this Enersys battery, it lights the whole length of the coil, it's not like looking at the sun when it is lit, but it is comparatively brighter. A weak d cell will light about 1/3 of the coil length, then, if you get a big wet load of fuel during starting it will snuff out that glow and just crackle as it tries to cook it off.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  hlsat Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:36 am

Ok. what I write is not testing but Ohm's law for those who know electronics.
I wrote in another post that my job is electronic engineer so I think I know more for.

He looked at the chart below to happen understandable.
R = resistance coil spark plugs.
P= power coil spark plugs.
These two items are standard with the manufacturer of the spark plug ok.

Ohm's Law shows the following this:
I = V / R
I = Coil current spark plugs.
V = volt battery(volt spark plugs)
R = resistance coil spark plugs.

The Ampere-law watts shows the following this:
P = VxI or P=RI^2
P = Power spark plugs
V = volt battery(volt spark plugs)
I^2 = Coil current spark plugs in square

Well Make the calculations with these laws and see that when we have more volts and thus more current to the coil of the spark plugs then the force of the coil of the spark plug is outside proper functioning and risk for power interruptions.

Ok I glow in the spark plugs be greater but may damage the interests of greater power than that specified by the manufacturer.
I hope you understand me Elijah.
Thanks all.

hlsat
hlsat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down