Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!


McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Cox_ba12




McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Pixel

Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Making a water-cooling coil for a Cox .049 engine
by rdw777 Today at 9:50 am

» Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion
by rdw777 Today at 9:46 am

» .020 Throttle
by rdw777 Today at 9:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 9:23 am

» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by robot797 Today at 8:42 am

» In search of .010 carb body retaining collet
by Ken Cook Today at 7:33 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 5:55 am

» Glow plug will not glow
by Coxfledgling Today at 3:57 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» Snail type throttle
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:28 am

» K&B Torpedo .19 Green Head CL Needle Valve
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 8:08 am

» Cox .35 and .40 in N├╝rnberg Toy Fair
by ffkiwi Yesterday at 3:52 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"



PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery


McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Empty
Live on Patrol


McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel

Go down

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Empty McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel

Post  ian1954 Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:39 pm

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Mccoy_10
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2688
Join date : 2011-11-16
Age : 69
Location : England

Back to top Go down

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Empty Re: McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel

Post  Godsey3.0 Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:30 pm

Those are neat. I have heard the cranks tend to be a bit fragile. I have the .09 Diesel version. Very nice runners.

RR
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 970
Join date : 2011-09-21
Age : 28
Location : Metamora, Indiana

Back to top Go down

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Empty Re: McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel

Post  ian1954 Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:44 pm

The first cranks were definitely fragile - the inlet hole was drilled and then a flat square area milled over it.

The later ones were like this - a circular milling around the hole.

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Dura-g10

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2688
Join date : 2011-11-16
Age : 69
Location : England

Back to top Go down

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Empty Re: McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Godsey3.0 wrote:Those are neat. I have heard the cranks tend to be a bit fragile. I have the .09 Diesel version. Very nice runners.

RR
What planes are you flying your diesels on, and do you have any distinct preference between glow and diesel?

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Posts : 10869
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 68
Location : South Carolina, USA

Back to top Go down

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Empty Re: McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel

Post  MrGoodwreck Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:55 am

I picked one of those up a year or so back.

Paid $8.00 at a swapmeet. Looks brand new.

Now I just need to figure out an old timer FF bird to set it up for, and learn how to run one.
MrGoodwreck
MrGoodwreck
Silver Member
Silver Member

Posts : 92
Join date : 2013-04-03
Age : 51
Location : Snohomish County Washington

Back to top Go down

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Empty Re: McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel

Post  ian1954 Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:50 am

RknRusty wrote:
Godsey3.0 wrote:Those are neat. I have heard the cranks tend to be a bit fragile. I have the .09 Diesel version. Very nice runners.

RR
What planes are you flying your diesels on, and do you have any distinct preference between glow and diesel?

I haven't flown or built a glow or diesel engined plane for many years. I now only clean, restore and run the engines.

When I was able to (local bye laws now prevent this in my area!), for free flight - DC engines (Diesel and Glo but mainly diesel), control line (combat and stunt) - PAW and Oliver Tiger (All Diesel), RC (very limited experience) - Enya (All Glo). I flew control line for 16 years (pre RC affordability) then "on and off" for a further six as sites closed.

I have taken up RC again but all electric! Most of my engines are not suitable for RC and some are debatable for control line. The Duro-Glo Diesel is one of these - the angled needle valve is limiting for control line - it is not really reversable.

My preference is Diesel! The smell, the mess and the noise! Only need fuel and a finger to start it.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2688
Join date : 2011-11-16
Age : 69
Location : England

Back to top Go down

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Empty Re: McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel

Post  Godsey3.0 Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:07 am

Currently I only have one plane with a diesel on it. It is a Sig Skyray. We flew it on a 25 La-S and got around 7 second laps. We then put on a Thunder Tiger 25 GP diesel we got 3 second laps. It flew about 5 minutes on less than two ounces of fuel. The pull was enormous. This was the only CL plane I have had that actually made my arm tired.

My first diesel flights were with a Guillows Trixter Trainer with a Marz 2.5cc Diesel. That plane could barely fly with any engine that fit. It is only good for getting rid of the dizzies. Which it did for my dad.

I much prefer diesel over glow. 1) The ease of starting. Couple flips when you know how to do it. 2) The torque. The Thunder Tiger GP swung that 10x6 at just under 11,000rpm. It swung an 11x4 at 10,000rpm. I have a PAW .15 (2.5cc) that spins a 10x6 at 8,800 rpm. Not bad for a .15 plain bearing engine. There is not much rpm difference between large props with diesels. So it seems like most generally give them larger props. But not everyone uses them for torque. 3) Diesel engines typically use less fuel. Somewhere on the Davis site there is a claim that diesel burns 1.8x more efficient. This allows for longer flights with much less fuel.

4)The last I thing I have time to type for is that smell! I absolutely love it!

I have run through gallons of fuel on the test bench. Just to see them run and hear that sound and to whiff that beautiful aroma.
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 970
Join date : 2011-09-21
Age : 28
Location : Metamora, Indiana

Back to top Go down

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Empty Re: McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel

Post  gcb Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:21 am

I have one each of the square and round hole cranked radial mounted .049's and a beam mounted .049 and .09. All run well (so far) except the .09. I got the .09 from an auction site and I believe it was assembled from parts. A couple of gaskets are missing. I just haven't gotten around to making them.

I understand that it is best to not under-prop them. I use 6x4 minimum for the .049.

If you have trouble with compression, the contra piston is sealed with an "O" ring.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 908
Join date : 2011-08-11
Location : Port Ewen, NY

Back to top Go down

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Empty Re: McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel

Post  Godsey3.0 Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:04 am

I have always been interested in the .049 McCoy. The .09 I have was actually supposed to be an .049 but, the guy grabbed the wrong one. He was going to hang onto one from me. He had a box full of them. It turned good for me though. Only payed $15 for a sweet running McCoy.

RR
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 970
Join date : 2011-09-21
Age : 28
Location : Metamora, Indiana

Back to top Go down

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Empty Re: McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel

Post  ian1954 Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:14 am

gcb wrote:I have one each of the square and round hole cranked radial mounted .049's and a beam mounted .049 and .09. All run well (so far) except the .09. I got the .09 from an auction site and I believe it was assembled from parts. A couple of gaskets are missing. I just haven't gotten around to making them.

I understand that it is best to not under-prop them. I use 6x4 minimum for the .049.

If you have trouble with compression, the contra piston is sealed with an "O" ring.

George

The Dura-Glo 049

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Duro-g10

The 09

With the exception of PAW and COX engines - I have been trying to restrict myself to sub 049 and preferably sub .5cc.
McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel 0910

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2688
Join date : 2011-11-16
Age : 69
Location : England

Back to top Go down

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Empty Re: McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel

Post  ian1954 Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:46 am

Godsey3.0 wrote:Currently I only have one plane with a diesel on it. It is a Sig Skyray. We flew it on a 25 La-S and got around 7 second laps. We then put on a Thunder Tiger 25 GP diesel we got 3 second laps. It flew about 5 minutes on less than two ounces of fuel. The pull was enormous. This was the only CL plane I have had that actually made my arm tired.

My first diesel flights were with a Guillows Trixter Trainer with a Marz 2.5cc Diesel. That plane could barely fly with any engine that fit. It is only good for getting rid of the dizzies. Which it did for my dad.

I much prefer diesel over glow. 1) The ease of starting. Couple flips when you know how to do it. 2) The torque. The Thunder Tiger GP swung that 10x6 at just under 11,000rpm. It swung an 11x4 at 10,000rpm. I have a PAW .15 (2.5cc) that spins a 10x6 at 8,800 rpm. Not bad for a .15 plain bearing engine. There is not much rpm difference between large props with diesels. So it seems like most generally give them larger props. But not everyone uses them for torque. 3) Diesel engines typically use less fuel. Somewhere on the Davis site there is a claim that diesel burns 1.8x more efficient. This allows for longer flights with much less fuel.

4)The last I thing I have time to type for is that smell! I absolutely love it!

The smell, the aroma of mixing your own blend (smaller diesel engines need thinner fuel up to 40% ether) ...........

Now I am going to make you jealous

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Diesel10

This was chauffer driven to me last week by the Rt.Hon. John Goddard (diesel beginner - despite lengthy instruction, the loan of extremely prime diesel engines - he still hasn't managed to start one!)

I have run through gallons of fuel on the test bench. Just to see them run and hear that sound and to whiff that beautiful aroma.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2688
Join date : 2011-11-16
Age : 69
Location : England

Back to top Go down

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Empty Re: McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel

Post  Godsey3.0 Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:49 pm

Dang. Pure ether. I have to use John Deere cans or Davis Diesel. I prefer self mixing. That way I truly know what is in my fuel.

It is the druggies that made it hard to get ether here.

RR
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 970
Join date : 2011-09-21
Age : 28
Location : Metamora, Indiana

Back to top Go down

McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel Empty Re: McCoy Duro-Glo .049 Diesel

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum