Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2018
Mudhen's

"Prototype T.D. .010 c.1960"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

DC Bantam 0.75cc

Go down

DC Bantam 0.75cc

Post  ian1954 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:43 pm

This is probably the second worst engine that I have ever bought. Not this one ( I couldn't resist reminding myself!)

It originally cost 50 shillings and seven pence. Two pound fifty three pence in new fangled decimal currency or $4 in the late 1960's.

The first time I landed it from control line (and it was a smooth landing) the crankshaft together with the crankcase bent. It was a monstrous flight, underpowered!

If you look at the advert below - you will see it was converted from the DC Dart 0.5cc diesel. That powered the aeroplane perfectly.

This is my orignal posting from my introduction

"The first engine I bought new was the ubiquitous DC Bantam. Underpowered and flimsy. It didn't last long. I used it in free flight for a while as my Dart was clapped out and I found it a pain lugging round an accumulator (2v lead acid battery). No rechargeable or fancy batteries then - only Ever Ready carbon batteries that didn't last two minutes.
I put the Bantam in a profile fuselage flying wing (I think it was a Snipe). It struggled and on landing (no undercarriage) the propeller didn't level out and the crankshaft and crankcase bent! The crankshaft snapped on straightening and I was not amused! The Bantam put me off DCs from that point on although I have a few now that I have restored."

ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DC Bantam 0.75cc

Post  Jason_WI on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:10 am

Never seen a bent crankcase! Usually crankcases break at the mounting lugs or carb body. The OS 40 FSR had a bad habit of breaking the exhaust out on rough landings.
Jason_WI
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:30 am

I love old adverts....... Very easy on the eyes as there is not so much going on.
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down