Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

ATF and acetone Cox_ba12

ATF and acetone Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Simple Gliders
by getback Today at 7:13 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by getback Today at 6:24 am

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by getback Today at 6:23 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

ATF and acetone Empty
Live on Patrol

ATF and acetone

Go down

LOL ATF and acetone

Post  dinsdale Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:15 am

Somewhere in these fora recently someone suggested that the epitome of engine "de-gummers" was a 50/50 ATF and acetone mix. Sorry I can't find where/who it was. Any'ow, I gave it a go and have come to the conclusion that I must have read it wrong. ATF and acetone won't/don't homogenize. Within a minute of giving it lots of vigourous shaking the two separate out to ½ a pint of acetone floating atop ½ a pint of ATF.

What am I doing wrong??

On a totally different tack, ATF is an outstanding after run oil.
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

LOL Re: ATF and acetone

Post  pkrankow Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:16 am

Acetone + ATF is not for degumming, it is for penetrating oil. It is also not a "normal" method, but getting into "aggressive" and if plastic is involved "extreme" means of getting parts apart.

I was introduced to it when I had to remove the rear wheels from the axles on my lawn tractor. Whoever assembled it last cleaned everything and did not reapply anti-seize. After applying this concoction and allowing it to soak I used a mild steel bar as a drift, and a 5# sledge to drive the axle out of the rim successfully. Then I had to do the other wheel.

I've never had problems with separation, but I've never mixed up that much at a time. It won't keep since the acetone will evaporate. I suspect your acetone is water contaminated since acetone is mixible with oil and water.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:57 pm

The old standard, Hoppe's #9 Gun Cleaning Solvent, works well for me. I buy it by the quart from Cabela's. Using it on my engines AND my guns a quart lasts me a couple of years.

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:46 am

pkrankow wrote:I've never had problems with separation, but I've never mixed up that much at a time.  It won't keep since the acetone will evaporate.  I suspect your acetone is water contaminated since acetone is mixible with oil and water.

Phil
Of course the amount makes zero difference.  I bought new (I don't drive an automatic car) garden variety (nothing special) ATF and the 1 litre bottle of acetone was first opened the day before.  Moisture isn't the problem, but there's no way on Earth of homogenizing the stuff.  I poured the ingredients into a large (there's an OS .46 and an OS .32 in there) glass jar with an airtight metal lid.  I just thought that I might have been confused about the ingredients, but perhaps ATF and/or acetone are actually different in the US.
dinsdale
dinsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:50 am

SuperDave wrote:The old standard, Hoppe's #9 Gun Cleaning Solvent, works well for me.  I buy it by the quart from Cabela's.  Using it on my engines AND my guns a quart lasts me a couple of years.

SuperDave
Never heard of it, but perhaps some other brand of gun cleaning solvent might work. I'll check it out next time I'm in town.
dinsdale
dinsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:03 am

[quote="dinsdale"][quote="SuperDave"]The old standard, Hoppe's #9 Gun Cleaning Solvent, works well for me.  I buy it by the quart from Cabela's.  Using it on my engines AND my guns a quart lasts me a couple of years.

Dins: Hoppe's #9 has been used for over a century (1903) by the US miltary and has few if any equals for cleaning weapons. It comes in a nice plastic container with a good sealing lid. I wipe down my weapons after each firing and it it disolves powder residue very nicely.

I first tried it on Cox engines after it was suggested here on the forum and found it equally good at cleaning them and even freeing those "frozen" by castor gum.

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:52 am

SuperDave wrote:Dins:  Hoppe's #9 has been used for over a century (1903) by the US miltary and has few if any equals for cleaning weapons.  It comes in a nice plastic container with a good sealing lid.  I wipe down my weapons after each firing and it it disolves powder residue very nicely.

I first tried it on Cox engines after it was suggested here on the forum and found it equally good at cleaning them and even freeing those "frozen" by castor gum.

SuperDave
I live about 12,000 (or more) miles from you. I've never heard of it before. I do shoot, but I use different stuff because Hoppe's #9 isn't on the shelves of any gun stores within several hundred miles of me. I might check what's available here though and give it a go.
dinsdale
dinsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:22 am

I just did a bit o' Googling.  There's a gun store about 2,400 miles from me selling it lol!   $25.50 (inc postage) for an unspecified size bottle, but it sure looks small.  The stuff I have now is by "Outers".

EDIT: The Hoppe's bottle is 4oz
dinsdale
dinsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Dins:

A quart of Hoppe's at Cabela's in the US is IIRC about $10 on special with free shipping from Cabela's.

Sorry that is is considerably more in Oz. That leaves you the ATF/Acetone "brew" as the alternative.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:23 am

SuperDave wrote:Dins:
That leaves you the ATF/Acetone "brew" as the alternative.

SD
... and how to homogenize the stuff.
dinsdale
dinsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:21 am

Dins:

And I don't believe that's going to happen. Sorry.

One will always precipitate from the other like oil and water.

SD

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: