Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My homemade ski-sled Cox_ba12

My homemade ski-sled Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 10:03 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 9:49 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:14 pm

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 4:40 pm

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Today at 1:44 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Today at 12:22 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 11:50 am

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Today at 8:48 am

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Today at 4:01 am

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Today at 12:10 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:02 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 4:21 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My homemade ski-sled Empty
Live on Patrol

My homemade ski-sled

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mad My homemade ski-sled

Post  roddie Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:54 am

I started plans for this; Winter of 2011/12... Obtained 2 pr. ($25) of older alpine snow skis in Dec. of 2012... made a model, and started building. Finished it in March... just enough time/conditions "locally"... to use it one weekend, here in Rhode Island. My wife shot the vid at Diamond Hill State Park's "ski-hill" that weekend. What a thrill!!!

My homemade ski-sled <a href=My homemade ski-sled 1in_to10" />

My homemade ski-sled <a href=My homemade ski-sled Photo-11" />

easy to build... and FAST!

My facebook page has more photos of the building process.

Last edited by roddie on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:14 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : more info.)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Mad Re: My homemade ski-sled

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:27 am

Years ago (1982?)my uncle at the time took an old set of wooden ski's and built a sled for my cousin and I out of scrap wood and a tractor seat. He spent two whole days building it. It had handles on it so one could sit on the seat and one could push and jump on the ski's.

Our first trip down the hill was in a heavily wooded area and this thing was built to go in a straight line. We went headlong into a big pine and that sled exploded into splinters. My cousin received the biggest bruise on his backside I had ever seen and I being on the back was thrown clear.

We drug what was left of the sled back to the house and showed our Uncle. Boy was he angry. His face was beat red and he said "Don't expect me to fix it"

Not much we could have done and my cousin and I had a good laugh over his purple and black butt cheek.

Anyway nice sled! And thanks for conjuring up that memory.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:39 am

That's a good story Ron! I actually "pictured it" as I read... My sled steers very well. I'll take an old "Flexible Flyer-Airline series"... over a snow-tube any day! Spinning around backward going like a "Banshee" down a steep hill with NO STEERING... (at 53 years old...) is not my idea of a good time.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Roddie, I hate to be an old jerk, but this screams and cries for helmet use.
Looks like a blast, I'd jump on it in a sec, but consider the possibilities.

Yeah, my mother worked in the E.R. at the nearby hospital.

Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:09 pm

I remember the Flexible Flyers growing up. Not one of the sleds my brothers and I had were completely original. The deck on them was only 3/8 wood, and we upgraded to 1/2 inch as we went. Every few times going sledding a piece would need replaced. If we didn't have the right wood, we would MAKE the right wood by resawing, planing, or sanding. No fancy equipment other than a drill, table saw, and a jig saw, everything else was hand tools.

Sometimes the metal would need straightening but not often.

Cool sled, suitable for all kinds of things and more than one person it looks.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  bullit132 Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:38 am

anyone remember crazy carpets they were blue rolled up in a tube ,now that was a danerouse piece of material,espically if you hooked up behind a snowmobile and had yourBIG brother haul you around,those were the days back in maine:lol!: Laughing 
bullit132
bullit132
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:09 am

dckrsn wrote:Roddie, I hate to be an old jerk, but this screams and cries for helmet use.
Looks like a blast, I'd jump on it in a sec, but consider the possibilities.

Yeah, my mother worked in the E.R. at the nearby hospital.

Bob
Yea Bob... you're right. Rhode Island is one of the few states that doesn't have a "motorcycle" helmet law either...

If I was running the sled down a wooded trail, I'd certainly wear some kind of helmet (probably a cyclist's)

This sled has the advantages of great steering and brakes... which help avoid accidents.

photo shows #1 r/h strut; (2" x 4" x 6") showing brake/steering assist lever (1" elec. conduit). When the lever is pulled back; it digs down into the snow.
My homemade ski-sled <a href=My homemade ski-sled Photo-16" />

Thanks for your concern though... Because having a "head-first/laying down position" of the rider; this sled is capable of faster speeds than a downhill alpine skier would experience, due to less wind resistance.

Last edited by roddie on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pic of r/h steering/brake lever)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:43 am

pkrankow wrote:I remember the Flexible Flyers growing up.  Not one of the sleds my brothers and I had were completely original.  The deck on them was only 3/8 wood, and we upgraded to 1/2 inch as we went.   Every few times going sledding a piece would need replaced.  If we didn't have the right wood, we would MAKE the right wood by resawing, planing, or sanding.  No fancy equipment other than a drill, table saw, and a jig saw, everything else was hand tools.

Sometimes the metal would need straightening but not often.

Cool sled, suitable for all kinds of things and more than one person it looks.

Phil
Hey Phil, Thanks for your interest. I've got real fond memories of sledding as a kid too! My Dad used to build "banked troughs" for us... and "ice em' down" on cold nights with a watering can!

My homemade job uses ordinary mat'ls. found at a home center (except; ski's, handle grips, pad and air horn) Total cost to build was under $200.00 with 2nd hand skis (2 pr.) The wood consists of 1/4" ext. gr. plywood (for the 2 decks) 2 x 4's (for the struts) and 1" x 2" furring (for the side-rails) I used 1/4"-20 threaded-rod underneath; to tie the struts together and strengthen the decks. Finished w/4 coats of Minwax Helmsman Spar-Urethane Clear Semi-gloss.
My homemade ski-sled <a href=My homemade ski-sled Photo-13" />
My homemade ski-sled <a href=My homemade ski-sled Photo-15" />

Last edited by roddie on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add'l. pic added)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:58 am

bullit132 wrote:anyone remember crazy carpets they were blue rolled up in a tube ,now that was a danerouse piece of material,espically if you hooked up behind a snowmobile and had yourBIG brother haul you around,those were the days back in maine:lol!: Laughing 
I "do" remember those bullit! They were marketed as "mini-boggans" too... same thing. I wouldn't even think of getting on one of those now!!! I guess that's why I made a dense-foam pad covered in heavy-weight vinyl for my sled. Being 24"w. by approx. 100" long; it "floats" over bumps/moguls!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:56 am

roddie wrote:I started plans for this; Winter of 2011/12... Obtained 2 pr. ($25) of older alpine snow skis in Dec. of 2012... made a model, and started building. Finished it in March... just enough time/conditions "locally"... to use it one weekend, here in Rhode Island. My wife shot the vid at Diamond Hill State Park's "ski-hill" that weekend. What a thrill!!!

easy to build... and FAST!

My facebook page has more photos of the building process.
Awesome video! Although it looks like a long walk back up the hill!!
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Thanks Shawn, It's always a long walk... up a good hill!!!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Mad building another one!

Post  roddie Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:36 pm

I've got all the parts to make another (duplicate) sled as the one I built last season. The 2 pr. of skis that are required... this time were free! Hardware, finishing supplies and wood cost was about $100.00...

My homemade ski-sled 10-8-110

The "Dynastar" skis will be cut down to 42" L. for the front deck. The "Head" skis are wider and will be cut down to 48" L. for the rear deck. The plywood is 1/4" ext. grade for the decks. I bought a 4' x 4' sheet and had Lowe's cut me 2 pcs. 22" x 48"... these are for the frt. and rear decks. The frt. deck will be 42" L. with a 12" radius at the front and an 11" radius at the rear. The rear deck is 48" L. with an 11" radius at the front and square at the rear. The 2" x 4" stud is for the struts (x8) and are 6" L. ea. The 1" x 2" furring is for the side-rails... All wood components get Minwax English Chestnut stain, then 4 coats of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane clear semi-gloss.

Last season's sled... (this season's will be a duplicate with upgraded brakes)

My homemade ski-sled Photo-11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:53 pm

Fun for snowbirds!
I hope we get a couple of good snows this winter, about 8" starting on a Friday afternoon and it's all melted by Sunday morning would be a perfect way to cheer up the clammy wet chill we get from late December through February. The snowmen will usually last a week or two.
lol! 

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:07 pm

Cool Roddie, you must take video of your maiden voyage.

This reminds me of another story. Christmas 1982. There was a huge box under the tree and inside was one brand new GT Snowracer made by Noma at the time. Now if you were a kid in Canada at that time this was the sled to own. I got mine first year of production and it had a flat seat, but after 1982 they were produced with a duck tail seat so kids wouldn't fly off the back. Bu the next year all my friends had one too, but mine had the dangerous flat seat so it was different from everyones and much sleeker looking.

Back then we could take our sleds to school and lock them to the bike racks at recess we could sled for a good solid hour. Great fun!!!!!

Over the years as I became a teen I used it less and less. One day I came home from school to grab my sled so I could hit the gravel pit with my teenage buds and my sled was missing. I asked my Dad if he knew where it was. He said "Oh yeah I gave it to a guy from work to give to his daughter" I was hot, very hot. Not only did he give it away without asking me, he gave it to a girl!!!! My rebel GT snowracer with the one off flat seat was now destined for the bunny hill sporting a pom pom wearing girly girl.

I am still a little miffed over that deal and that was 25yrs ago. I would have loved to have handed that over to my son. Mine was jet black with silver ski's and looked a little like this one:

My homemade ski-sled 49lurctl
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Cool Roddie, you must take video of your maiden voyage.

This reminds me of another story. Christmas 1982. There was a huge box under the tree and inside was one brand new GT Snowracer made by Noma at the time. Now if you were a kid in Canada at that time this was the sled to own. I got mine first year of production and it had a flat seat, but after 1982 they were produced with a duck tail seat so kids wouldn't fly off the back. Bu the next year all my friends had one too, but mine had the dangerous flat seat so it was different from everyones and much sleeker looking.

Back then we could take our sleds to school and lock them to the bike racks at recess we could sled for a good solid hour. Great fun!!!!!

Over the years as I became a teen I used it less and less. One day I came home from school to grab my sled so I could hit the gravel pit with my teenage buds and my sled was missing. I asked my Dad if he knew where it was. He said "Oh yeah I gave it to a guy from work to give to his daughter" I was hot, very hot. Not only did he give it away without asking me, he gave it to a girl!!!! My rebel GT snowracer with the one off flat seat was now destined for the bunny hill sporting a pom pom wearing girly girl.

I am still a little miffed over that deal and that was 25yrs ago. I would have loved to have handed that over to my son. Mine was jet black with silver ski's and looked a little like this one:

I remember those Ron! Always thought they were SUPER COOL!!! I had a thing called a "Sno-bee" and it wasn't made by Cox either... I begged for it for Christmas... probably 1972-3... It was a BEAST... Heavy and slow... such a disappointment.

My homemade ski-sled Snobee10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:18 am

That thing looks pretty cool. Dragging it up the hill was probably painful. Even though it's heavy I bet with a generous coat of wax on the ski's it would probably pick up some serious speed on a sizeable hill. Hey it has a roll cage...it has to be safe right? lol! 
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:26 am

Cribbs74 wrote:...Hey it has a roll cage...it has to be safe right? lol! 
Safer for the rider than for the neighbor kids. Better keep an eye on the kid with the lead sled.Laughing 

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:44 am

Cribbs74 wrote:

I have one of those... best sled ever!!!  I still have my original Noma GT SnowRacer and my kids got a newer version a couple years ago for Christmas. Mine is black with silver skis Smile
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:44 pm

RknRusty wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:...Hey it has a roll cage...it has to be safe right? lol! 
Safer for the rider than for the neighbor kids. Better keep an eye on the kid with the lead sled.Laughing 
"Lead-sled"............ I have 2 Flexible-Flyer Airline 55H "Chiefs"... designed for the "big kid"... (that's me... now...) The nice looking one (r/h) I bought last year... (has a cracked side-rail) and the weathered one, I bought this year (solid, but needs re-finishing)

My homemade ski-sled Dsc00510

I designed skis for last years sled, to make it operational in powder/slush conditions;
My homemade ski-sled Hpim0610
My homemade ski-sled Hpim0611
My homemade ski-sled Hpim0612
My homemade ski-sled Hpim0613
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:22 pm

This years sled will receive a brake sys. upgrade... via a bolt-on "steel tab" for more surface area, at the brake/steering-assist levers' lower contact area. Pulling on both levers, "slows" the sled... pulling on alternate levers, provides steering assist.

(underside-front pivoting deck)
My homemade ski-sled 10-11-10

(topside-front pivoting deck)

My homemade ski-sled 10-11-12

Last season, I only ran the sled a few times... (the 1st trials were on the "last" 2 decent snow days of the season here in RI) The hill was very steep with a decent "safe" run-out. I "did" have to brake to avoid running into a brook. It was evident that the brakes "worked"... but could be improved. They "dig in" to the snow surface when both levers are pulled back @ 90 deg. to the deck (as in the top photo)... but they were limited to a small and "radiussed"  contact area. This years upgrade increases that area, and more aggressively. The steering-assist function was a side benefit of the lever principal, in the event of "binding" at the sleds' pivot-point. This was never a problem... due to a stroke of luck in design balancing. The sled steers effortlessly.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:00 pm

Well... I haven't got the 2nd sled built yet... (been busy with the Speed contest model) but I did manage to upgrade the brakes on last years sled today. A recent storm dumped 8-10 inches of powder.. and it's been below freezing since... I think we'll give her a test-run tomorrow... same hill in Cumberland, RI as last year. It's about a 10 miles from my house. This webpage is pretty old... but gives you an idea of how steep the hill is! (note the sign at the bottom of the page.. not an issue now, as it is a VERY popular sledding hill!) This is where the video was shot last March. http://www.nelsap.org/ri/diamondhill.html

Roddie

My homemade ski-sled Brake_10
My homemade ski-sled Brake_11

below-photo/vid from last season.

My homemade ski-sled Diamon10

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:48 am

1-5-14 (Sunday) at Diamond hill... didn't dare take the "big hill"... too many little kids... and brain-dead parents not paying attention to them or anything going on around them.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Cool Roddie! Looks like a blast. You really had some good speed even though the hill wasn't that steep.

When you were a kid were there any parents around then? There wasn't any where I lived.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:20 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Cool Roddie! Looks like a blast.  You really had some good speed even though the hill wasn't that steep.

When you were a kid were there any parents around then? There wasn't any where I lived.

When I was a kid.. when we went sledding, it was all kids... but not toddlers... Some parents these days; bring very small children to a busy sled hill... and don't watch them... it's a recipe for disaster. My buddy who went with me last Sunday.. witnessed a collision. A grown-up man was stalled in the middle of the hill.. sitting there facing down the hill... he got creamed good by a tandem.. turned to my friend who was off to the side and started yelling at him.. "How about a little heads-up.. eh buddy"??? My friend told him to "wake up and look around"... That's the mentality today... blame anybody else for your own stupidity.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:28 pm

I see now. The hill is no place for unsupervised toddlers. I certainly agree with your other point too. Sometimes you have to "own it"

Now you got me to thinking...

My kids are that way and I am forever telling them to stop blaming everyone and admit they did wrong and move on with it. They are slowly coming around.

So, if it's a child like mentality does that mean it carries over into adulthood? Alarming!! 

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next