Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Old Trusty Cox_ba12

Old Trusty Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Today at 6:25 pm

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by rdw777 Today at 6:11 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Today at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Today at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:47 pm

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 12:44 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:48 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Old Trusty Empty
Live on Patrol

Old Trusty

Go down

Old Trusty Empty Old Trusty

Post  Cribbs74 Wed May 07, 2014 9:40 pm

I left my '72 Dodge to sit for close to a year and drove a '97 Chevrolet pickup during that time.

The newer truck was very comfortable, but it just didn't have that feeling. So I sold it  Very Happy

I just installed some new rubber over recently blasted and painted OEM wheels. Both myself and the truck are much happier now. I'll install the center caps after the paint cures.

Looking forward to the morning commute!

Old Trusty Bx1n7z8
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Old Trusty Empty Re: Old Trusty

Post  Ken Cook Thu May 08, 2014 4:20 am

Ron, I sold my 93 Dodge for a newer 2010 Hemi- Sport Dodge. While it goes like stink, I'm not happy with it like the old Dodge. I was just turning 300 K on that truck and knew every symptom about it. It had 15" tires, do you remember those? The 20's on the newer one are outrageous. Changing a tire requires a crane practically and the cost is over the top. Changing the oil wasn't a $80 affair. There's a lot to be said about reliability and simplicity I contemplate asking the buyer of that old truck if he might be willing to sell it back. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 08, 2014 8:00 am

Remember them? That's what I just put on!

Yeah there is something to be said about simplicity, of course there is something to be said about A/C too....

My morning commute to test out the new tires turned out to be stressful as my wipers broke. We are getting pounded in OKC.

Easy fix though, just need to replace the bushing on the wiper arm, again.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu May 08, 2014 8:36 am

I liked how the older vehicles would shift predictably, and how driving the speed limit improved gas mileage.

I wrote more and it made me feel all negative.

I am looking for a stick shift something that can fill my needs (and I can pay cash for). 2 kids in car seats, 3000# towing, 4wd since the county don't know how to plow AND salt at the same time. (they salt an inch of slush without scraping first...)

Phil

pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 08, 2014 9:21 am

Standard shift.....

That's a tall order these days. I can't explain it, some of it may be due to laziness, but manufacturers are not offering manual trans vehicles anymore. Even bare bones fleet trucks come with automatics.

I have never owned an automatic vehicle and here's why:

Better fuel economy
Less weight
Don't overheat (towing)
You can choose the gear you want for the situation
You can bump start a manual if you have a low battery or bum starter
Requires more attention span
Easier and cheaper to repair (conventional driveline)
Easier on your brakes as your driveline is not always pushing forward and you can downshift to scrub off speed.

I may have missed a few points, but you get the idea. The truck in the picture was a 727 auto when I bought it. That lasted just long enough for me to source a donor truck for me to convert it to a manual!

I hope you find what you are looking for Phil. They are out there.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu May 08, 2014 9:34 am

I miss my B300 Tradesman vans.. I had 2 of them at the same time back in the late 80’s. One ton chassis, 16” wheels, 318 V8’s, 727 Torque-Flite trannys.. so easy to do engine tuning.. especially if it was raining. One was a 1975 cargo van, the other was a 1974 full camper conversion with A/C and a turtle-top.

Phil, I am not sure of the towing capacity.. but I would suggest a Toyota 4-Runner (SR5 if you can find one). There are typically more of them with 5 speed transmissions, than there are of other domestic vehicles.. and they’re very dependable. A V6 model may be up to the task. The Land-Cruiser is ultimate but pricey.. even if it’s well used. It is available with Toyota’s 5.7L i-Force V8 found in the Tundra pick-up, which is a POWERHOUSE. It also may be harder to find a standard trans. in that model.. if it was even available. The 4-Runner will have much better fuel economy though.. which is a huge expense these days.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Thu May 08, 2014 10:57 am

You guys are sing my song, you might remember me talking about my 'Ole Blue', she's a '98' Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the 360ci. And thanks to my daughter (who I love dearly), has a new front end and new chrome. My wife had a hard time forking out the cash for a new motor in Ole Blue this year, but a new truck to do the same job is $50K. I can't see that for what I do with my truck, and I love this truck. I'd rather fix the truck up than buy a new one.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu May 08, 2014 3:57 pm

and of course.. let's not forget the Cummins diesel engine option. There are some VERY dedicated owners in my neck of the woods.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Old Trusty Empty RE:Old Trusty

Post  rat9000 Tue May 13, 2014 3:40 am

That's hilarious Ron,not only the fact that you still love your old truck but the thread it started.I've got a 95 Tbird,4.6 V-8 thats approaching 300,000 its been passed around in the family for 20 years both rear struts are broken so its a low rider its dented on every corner,rusted,I only change oil once a year its my daily work driver the thing wont die.Those SR5s are bad to the bone.
rat9000
rat9000
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue May 13, 2014 9:34 am

Yep,

Some vehicles defy the laws of nature. A vehicle can last a long time with a little bit of maintenance.

I still use my truck as much as possible. Here is a picture from last weekend of me hauling 2yds of dirt. Yes, I reverse arched the springs....that's another story!

Ron

Old Trusty NL219PU

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue May 13, 2014 10:40 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Yep,

Some vehicles defy the laws of nature. A vehicle can last a long time with a little bit of maintenance.

I still use my truck as much as possible. Here is a picture from last weekend of me hauling 2yds of dirt. Yes, I reverse arched the springs....that's another story!

Ron

Old Trusty NL219PU

The hubcaps are back on!!  Clapping I really liked your reasoning on the manual transmission Ron.. especially the point about requiring more attention span. My vehicles have all been automatics and I've never owned a motorcycle.. but I learned to drive a standard early-on. My wife had manual-trans. vehicles when she was younger (a couple of VW Beetles and a Nissan Sentra) but she has a bad hip that prevents her from driving one now. Speaking of VW Beetle's.. there's one for sale at a used car lot down the street. It's a 1974.. and looks absolutely MINT! There's no $$ on the sticker.. and it's kind of an ugly color (bluish-green).. but there's NO rust and the interior is very good (white). What do you suppose it's worth? If I could get out of my 2005 Trailblazer which gets 15 mpg max. downhill with a tailwind.. The VW would be so much cheaper to operate. My wife drives a 2012 Chevy "Captiva" which I could use on weekends when I need to move my music equipment..  Huh... 
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue May 13, 2014 11:45 am

Depends on if it's a Super Beetle or a Standard Beetle. If it's the former then stay away!

Edit: a 74 is a super beetle. I am not up on my VW knowledge.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum