Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

hwere to buy foam - 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile Cox_ba12

hwere to buy foam - 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by getback Today at 2:32 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

hwere to buy foam - 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile Empty
Live on Patrol

1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile

Go down

hwere to buy foam - 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile Empty 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile

Post  topbrent Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:07 am

I have been busy with some fun summer projects.  I wanted to try a few finishing methods on foam wings, so I slapped together these two planes for that purpose.  These are still in the early rough stage, but these should be fun when finished.  The wings airfoil were roughed out of a 1" block of foam on a belt sander.  Fairly crude, yes, but I don't have a hot-wire cutter and the foam was free.

The mini-Nobler is about 27"~180sq" will use a Norvel .061.
- The wing has silkspan applied with 50/50 white glue-water, sealed with Knox gelatin.  The front of the plane has been fiberglassed.
The mini-Oriental is about 25.25" ~160sq" will use a Venom .049.

hwere to buy foam - 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile Nobler11
hwere to buy foam - 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile Nobler12
hwere to buy foam - 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile Nobler13
hwere to buy foam - 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile Orient10
hwere to buy foam - 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile Orient11
topbrent
topbrent
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

hwere to buy foam - 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile Empty Re: 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile

Post  RknRusty Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:36 am

Very nice, Topbrent. I hope you'll keep is posted as your builds progress. I'm glad to hear you're using the Norvel on the Nobler. I'm a big fan of those mighty little engines. I use a Big Mig .061 on on a Baby Flite Streak and it's wildly fast, also on my now sadly decorative Refried Bean-see my avatar.

I have some big 1" foam sheets of packing material, would that stuff work for wings, or do we need something more specially made? I also have a set of 24" foam airfoils that I have no clue what to use for. They're big fat foils, so obviously would make a nice 48" PA ship. Maybe I can learn something about it here.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

hwere to buy foam - 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile Empty Re: 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile

Post  Kim Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:32 am

Beautiful Projects !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:44 am

Looking good I'am not a foam head but enjoy watching others work it , Keep us tuned in Topbrent ,And welcome to the Forum! I must have missed your intro. Babe Bee Very Happy Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 pm

Yes, as getback said, WELCOME !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  topbrent Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks guys! I am just getting back into flying after about a 17 year break. I flew as a teenager and then college and life took over. Now it's time to show my little kids how much fun this hobby can be! I recently built one of the coroplast ManWin trainer planes and we have had a ball flying that thing. They can really take a harsh beating.

The oriental and nobler are very simple, but should fly well enough for sport flying purposes. External controls for easy construction. I have some Corehouse Li'l Hacker planes to put together also. Gotta have an arsenal of planes at the ready.

topbrent
topbrent
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:57 pm

topbrent wrote:Thanks guys!  I am just getting back into flying after about a 17 year break.  I flew as a teenager and then college and life took over.  Now it's time to show my little kids how much fun this hobby can be! ...
Sounds really familiar. The same path more of us than not took. Glad you got back into it.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:07 pm

topbrent wrote:I have been busy with some fun summer projects.  I wanted to try a few finishing methods on foam wings, so I slapped together these two planes for that purpose.  These are still in the early rough stage, but these should be fun when finished.  The wings airfoil were roughed out of a 1" block of foam on a belt sander.
Nice job! The planes look really good.

topbrent wrote: Fairly crude, yes, but I don't have a hot-wire cutter and the foam was free.
If you decide you want a Hot Wite cutter, you can build a nice one for around $10.00 and use an old PC power supply to heat the wire.

I built two, a 48" bow and a 36" bow.
Here is a pic of the 48" bow.
hwere to buy foam - 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile Bow110
The picture isn't the greatest but to give you an idea of what I did, I used a piece of scrap 1x2 and drilled a 1/4" hole at a 45 degree angle 48" apart on the 1" edge of the 1x2 and I then cut two 24" pieces of 1/4" solid steel round stock. To help keep the wire in place, I made a mark an 1/8" from the end of each piece of round stock and used my Dremel cut off wheel and made slots all the way around one end on each piece and then simply inserted them into the holes in the 1x2.
The bow now looks like this, \_____/  For the wire, I used some scrap Sullivan steel braided flying line. I wrapped a loop on one end of the line and used thread and ca to secure the loop. The loop fit inside the slot I Dremeled into the one end of the round stock and I wrapped the other end of the wire tightly until it pulled the round stock straight to look like this |____|. The tension of the round stock keeps the wire tight. Then I simply secured the end of the wire with thread and c.a.  Having someone to help hold the wire, helps make it easier to secure the wire.

My first bow was made from 1/2" PVC pipe using two 90's and two T's so the bow had |__| shape with a length of 1/2" pipe spanning the center of the bow for added strength when the wire was tightened. For the wire, I used the same as above but I drilled holes in the pipe on each end of the bow and used two 1/4-20 eyelets to make the wire tension adjustable. The PVC works okay but it has a tendency to flex.
To heat the wire, I used an old desktop PC power supply unit and I tapped into the 12v+ and negative leads using a long length of wire and I soldered on alligator clips to clamp to each end of the hot wire. I also soldered a DPDT switch to the power wires and zip tied them to the top of the bow to make it easier to turn on and off. Now for the templates, These are crude but they worked.
hwere to buy foam - 1/2A Nobler & 1/2A Oriental - foam wings, profile Foam_t10
I made them out of Dollar Tree foam board and used aluminum ducting tape along the edges. The downfall is, those templates were only good for one use. I now make templates from either laser cut ply or counter top laminate.

You can see my first foam core wing here,

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t5005-la-stick-scratch-build-for-cox-pee-wee-020

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down