Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Whoever said, "Rusty, go fly one of your little ones."... Cox_ba12

Whoever said, "Rusty, go fly one of your little ones."... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Yesterday at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Yesterday at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Whoever said, "Rusty, go fly one of your little ones."... Empty
Live on Patrol

Whoever said, "Rusty, go fly one of your little ones."...

Go down

Whoever said, "Rusty, go fly one of your little ones."... Empty Whoever said, "Rusty, go fly one of your little ones."...

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks, that was fun! I Took BFS-II, my Norvel powered Baby Streak over to the church and introduced my new neighbors to 1/2A flying. Two gray haired sisters and their demented mom. The mom got a real kick out of it, she thought it was a hoot. I pumped a full ounce of Sig 35 into it and the Russian sweetie goes for a long long time on that. About three patterns worth. I didn't do organized patterns but did about all of the stunts. It's too damn fast to get serious with. I didn't even think about my deflicted arm the whole time, so I'm apparently cleared by the flight surgeon to fly. It did scream for a percocet soon after though.
lol!  
A thunder storm ran us off. besides the flipover landing broke the poor old tail fin, which isn't really needed for anything, but since it was only half way off, I figured I'd glue it one more time before I make a new one.

So anyway, I'm back. Thanks to whoever it was, Cribbs??, that encouraged me to JUST GO FLY.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Whoever said, "Rusty, go fly one of your little ones."... Empty Re: Whoever said, "Rusty, go fly one of your little ones."...

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:54 pm

No, wasn't me.

Sounds like a good time!

I spent the day with Kim and the Lafayette Escadrille crew flying in St Louis!! Good times. Will do a writeup soon.

Glad to hear the arm is doing better and any day flying is better than not. Even if you doink!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Whoever said, "Rusty, go fly one of your little ones."... Empty Re: Whoever said, "Rusty, go fly one of your little ones."...

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:19 pm

I bet it was Roddie, one of my other #1 supporters.
Anyway, yeah, good to get back in the air, and I'm looking forward to your report on St. Louis.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:44 pm

RknRusty wrote:I bet it was Roddie, one of my other #1 supporters.
Anyway, yeah, good to get back in the air, and I'm looking forward to your report on St. Louis.
Rusty

Yea.. it was me. This was the "real medicine" that you needed Rusty!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks Rod. You don't own a Norvel do you? The Big Mig .061 with a muffler is the sweetest sport engine ever. Not to disparage Tee Dees, but comparatively jaw dropping power, steady and unwavering, so quiet nobody outside the field can hear it, and with an assortment of props an 8 ounce plane can be made to fly comfortably on 35' up to too fast for amateurs on 45'. Pardon the rave, I always get this way after I fly this particular plane.

Whoever said, "Rusty, go fly one of your little ones."... BFSIIinboard_zpsf979c80a

Whoever said, "Rusty, go fly one of your little ones."... BFS-II_zps40f5e8b9

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Kleynhans Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:36 am

That is great Rusty. Glad you got back on the horse.

Those planes look like a lot of fun.

I got my norvel 049 running. It is running very smoothly on the bench. I now need to put it on something to test it in flight.

Theo
Theo Kleynhans
Theo Kleynhans
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:39 am

Hey theo. Here's some bonus entertainment. Same plane, BFS-II a couple of winters ago. I was trying to figure out how to do a wingover. Lol. It's now obvious why I had so much trouble settling into a big ol lumbering stunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdJWIcwgzo4

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:55 pm

Rusty looked like you were flying a bee (june bug ) on a string. I am sure you have to go to low gear to fly larger planes lol! Thanks for the vid. Getback Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:56 pm

getback wrote:Rusty looked like you were flying a bee (june bug ) on a string. I am sure you have to go to low gear to fly larger planes lol! Thanks for the vid. Getback Very Happy
Haha, that's very true, I thought you were supposed to jerk planes around like that. It took me a long time to ease off and actually guide them through the loops. I still revert now and then. I'm a much better pilot now that I have to respect things like... well, lift, for instance.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:30 pm

HI Rusty, you mentioned lift in the last post, this may be a dumb question, can the wings actually stall on the large models in maneuvers?
If they do stall how do you recover?
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:31 pm

crankbndr wrote:HI Rusty, you mentioned lift in the last post, this may be a dumb question, can the wings actually stall on the large models in maneuvers?

I don't know if it is possible, but if it does happen, your "recovery" would be by means of a not-so-graceful meeting with terra firma.
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:17 pm

crankbndr wrote:HI Rusty, you mentioned lift in the last post, this may be a dumb question, can the wings actually stall on the large models in maneuvers?
Hi Crank, yes the wings can stall. In fact if you're outside of the circle watching, even better with a quiet electric plane, you can hear the air leave the wing. When all is right, the wing makes an authoritative hiss as the plane flies, even during landing. And when the lift is lost, it goes quiet.

Turning too tightly can do it, and you can see the plane lose its direction when the bottom(or top in an outside loop) suddenly becomes the lead edge. The only thing that can save it if you're too low is the brute force of the engine. If you're high enough you can regain momentum. With every plane you have to become aware of conserving energy so that you always maintain forward inertia. Don't bang the corners. I get told that, especially in the square loops and 8s.

Wind can alter or remove lift from the wing or the stab/elevator too. This can cause belly bashing at the bottom of a loop. For this reason many pilots bias the wind so the down leg of a maneuver is pointed slightly into the wind. When a pilot is doing this you'll notice his inside loops are to his left and outsides are to his right. The wind being at his back. Other maneuvers give you no choice, and you just gut it out. One stunt that is a pure horsepower maneuver is the first leg of an hourglass, a tall nearly vertical climb to 90 degrees overhead. And the exiting wingover into the wind after a cloverleaf.

I'm lucky to fly at a windy field, so I'll be prepared for a windy contest day. Now I don't know if I can handle a light day. Lol
Someone with more experience can add a lot to this. I'm still in the early stages of learning.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:23 pm

Crank,

I know you didn't ask me however, large models cannot stall when under power. They can experience wake turbulence when flying through where you just were. This only happens during times without wind or very low wind. Underpowered large models could stall in overhead maneuvers I imagine as there would not be enough speed to carry them through.

Let me say this... Models like the Ringmaster that have really large elevators act like an air brake and can cause a stall by slowing the model during a maneuver. I have done that myself. That is why minimal throws are suggested.

Of course you can stall a model of any size during landing.

Recovery in any of these situations is either put the nose down and dive or run like heck and regain tension and whip it.

That's been my experience, I am sure Rusty could provide more info.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:59 pm

Ron, I think you and I are calling two different things, a stall. Chalk that up to my inexperience and lack of aerodynamic training.

What I am calling a stall, is the loss of lift, when the vacuum is suddenly broken along the boundry with the airfoil. In my case a stall can be happening while the plane is still moving through the air at 50mph but the angle of attack destroys the lift.

I think your definition of a stall is when the plane loses so much forward speed that the lift becomes inadequate to hold the plane up anymore.

I'm not sure which of our definitions is right.

Last edited by RknRusty on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks for the insight guys, very interesting Airplane Airplane Flying
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Kleynhans Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:54 am

Thank you for the video Rusty. That was awesome.

That was a very fast flying session, you can really fly a 1/2A!

As you have mentioned, yes a big stunter can stall. If your wingloading is too much on your design it can easily stall especially in hard corners. According to me the power plant does not matter. That is what I understand with my limited knowledge.

Theo
Theo Kleynhans
Theo Kleynhans
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:14 am

This stalling question would be a great subject to bring up on Stunt Hangar, but I'm hesitant to toss it in over there. I need be be careful to phrase it as a very specific question so as to avoid the inevitable shooting match when the engineers get involved. If I do, I'll post it in the "Open" forum where guests can watch it.
But not today, the car is loaded and I'm going out to fly the Osprey.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Kleynhans Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:41 am

Enjoy the flying Rusty.

Will this be the maiden flight?

Theo
Theo Kleynhans
Theo Kleynhans
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:18 pm

Theo Kleynhans wrote:Enjoy the flying Rusty.

Will this be the maiden flight?

Theo
Yes, past tense now, the maiden is in the bag! It was for me anyway. I had taken it to a club meeting a couple of weeks ago and blew an arm so my buddy Wayne flew it the first time. But for me, today was the first time flying it and I burned almost two whole 16 ounce bottles of fuel in it. It took some getting used to, it's much more sensitive than my old Skyray that I was beginning really bond with. But it never touched the ground when it wasn't supposed to. And by the end of the day I was handling it pretty well.

Stand by for a flight report this evening.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down